Seating at Dinner. Advice Needed.

scones34c

My "soon to be DH" and I are taking our honeymoon cruise next July on the Millenium. We are scheduled for the late seating at dinner.

My question is: Should we request a table for two, or a larger table? It would be nice to have a few romantic evenings, but I would also like to meet some new people. Large tables seem like a great way to do this.

Do they ever allow passengers to sit at a table for two for just one night? It's a 12 night cruise, eating alone the entire time could get boring.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here! Any replies would be appreciated.

-Liz

Hi,

I would say a table for 6 or 8 in the main restaurant would be ideal. You can always have a couple of special dinners together in the Olympic restaurant?

You will love Millennium!

Ian :D

Hey Ian how are you doing doesn't our Millennium cruise seem years ago!!

My advice would be to choose a larger table in the main dining room and then have a couple of 'romantic' dinners at The Olympic, which is their speciality restaurant onboard.

Once you are given a table you cannot move around. So I would suggest to request a table for 6-8 or 8-10 and like the other posters said then go to the speciality restaurant for a romantic dinner for two. I know that you will be on your honeymoon but you meet some of the best people at the dinner table and have very good conversation.

Marilyn

My DH and I just got back from the 12 night Med and it was our honeymoon also. We had the same dilema. I have always sat at larger tables, so I was concerned about the need for other conversation if we sat at a table for 2 all 12 nights, but at the same time, if we ended up at a table with a family and lots of kids or something, we didn't want it to have a negative effect on our honeymoon. We chose the table for 2 to be safe. We ate in the main dining room every night and never got "bored" of each other. There were so many adventures during the day to discuss and we met other people out in the ports, so that appeased our need for socializing. We have booked another 12 night cruise for next year and will definitly do the table for 8, but the table for 2 worked out well for our honeymoon.

Gacruiser never got bored plus was concerned about a table with kids etc. Frist of all the cruise lines do try to match people up, but they are not always successful, secondly your chances of getting a table with kids are not too great and third, you can ask to be moved. It will not always work, depending on how crowded the ship is, but the matre D will do all possible to make certain you are happy. it is were me, I would ask for a table for 6 or 8. You can eat in the specialty restaurant a few nights, for that romantic feeling, but part of cruising is getting to know others and there is no better way than at dinner. Now as for getting bored, I would hope on your honeymoon you certainly wouldn't get bored. LOL

NMNIta

For a romantic dinner, make a reservation at the Specialty Restaurant for one or two evenings. You should make the reservations the day you board the ship and pick one or two evenings.

I mentioned this on another recent post but I have sailed on many ships includng the luxury lines and I thought that Celebrity's specialty restaurant was the nicest of any line. The food was wonderful, the service outstanding and the ambience of the room was great. We at there twice on our recent cruise. Some items are prepared table side and the meal was about 2 1/2 hours. The specialty restaurant will definitely provide a romantic dinner for two.

Keith

We recently returned from this trip a month ago.....I would agree with just about everything said before this...and would recommend a larger table. Even with a larger table, there are so many dining options, rarely will you find everyone at the table. By the end of our cruise, several of the two seat tables were not occupied, so that may be an option for a night or two. We also had a wonderful experience in the 'casual dining' venue on one of the sea days as we sailed around Sicily at sunset. It was very quiet and very romantic. (ironically this was where we also received the best service of our cruise). Although we didn't dine at the Olympic, we inquired about availability mid-cruise and could have reserved almost any evening except the sea days. They filled up those nights immediately. We were told the best (and most quiet) times are the days when the ship is departing late (Villefrance and Santorini). Everyone that I spoke with said it was a wonderful experience....but we were extremely happy with the food in the regular dining room.

There will also be a Greek buffet the night you are in Santorini which was quite good....served poolside, with a band playing. It was really crowded on deck, so we just watched the city lights from our balcony while we ate.

Dave

If you have sailed on Celebrity before, you should have signed up for the Captains Club. (It's free !!!) That entitles you to book advance reservations for specialty restaurants starting 60 days befor sailing, up until a few days before. You are only allowed to book 1 specialty dinner in advance per cruise. BUT, once you are on the ship, you can book additional specialty dinners.

Don't try to book 2 in advance, or spouses each try to book separate ones. Celecbrity is on to that scheme, and will probably reject both. So don't outsmart yourself.

Totally agree with everybody else: Large table in the dining room and booking(s) in the speciallity restaurant.

We have tried large tables as well as a table for two in the dining room. A table for two is nice for a couple of evenings but a little too quiet for every evening on a cruise. There is more fun at a larger table and it is also easier to talk and joke with the wait staff.

We enjoy a table for 6-8 also. Occassionally they will keep tables for 2 open at times during the cruise and you can ask for them if the people are not to your liking. On one cruise we felt badly for the people next to us. On most nights the other couples did not show up and a couple had to eat alone at a table for 8. On our last cruise when we were quarantined our companions occassionally joined another table nearby where people sometimes did not show for dinner.

A table for 6-8 would be a good way to enjoy one of the more pleasurable aspects of cruising, the chance to get to know other people from other places.

But in addition to romantic dinners for two at the specialty restaurant and the casual dining venue, don't forget the sushi bar for an early supper and the occasional room service dinner in your cabin.

After all, it is your honeymoon, go for it!!!;)

Susan

While I have generally had positive experiences with tablemates on cruises, it is not something that can be counted on.

Personally, I would do the opposite of what most suggest and book the table for 2 for the main dining room and then, if you meet folks you would like to dine with, you can enjoy the specialty restaurant with them as you prefer. If I am not travelling in a group or solo, I will always opt for a table for 2 as I know I will enjoy the company.

JMHO and definitely on a honeymoon.

CG

[? It's a 12 night cruise, eating alone the entire time could get boring

How could eating alone with your newly-betrothed DH on a beautiful cruise ship, on an amazing cruise honeymoon vacation be "boring"?

"Maitre D'....table for 2 !! "

But, seriously, we started cruising 12 years and 8 cruises ago, on our honeymoon, and, while we are fairly sociable for the most part, always have had a table for 2 at dinner ....it's just that, we both (like most) lead fairly busy lives, and we do (really) enjoy each other's company, and so cruise time is "our time". Just don't tell DW I said that!

I think you have made an excellent choice....a cruise is the perfect honeymoon. Enjoy!

KS

Archived