transatlantic questions

wdpmd

Dear Seabournites,

I have an intense desire to cross the Atlantic by ship and it appears that Seabourn is the way to go. Having never done this, I would appreciate some inside knowledge.

First, it seems that two ships make the same voyage at roughly the same, at least going eastbound. Is there any reason to choose one over the other?

It also appears that the crossing can be made either eastbound or westbound. Is there any particular reason to favor one direction over the other? Obviously, the westbound trip lasts a little longer and it takes place at a different time of year. It makes no difference to me in terms of my schedule. Which should I choose?

Finally, how long in advance do these trips tend to sellout?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Dave

Hi Dave,

There is no difference really in the ship that you choose but on the westbound trip Pride takes the Northern route whereas Legend does the Southern, which for us means better sea conditions and better weather.

As to wether you do eastbound or westbound, when you sail westbound you gain an hour each night and eastbound you lose an hour each night, this could be an influence, although we are totally hooked and try to do both now. The flight at the end of your cruise may also be a factor, if you are in the US then westbound could be appealling as you will have a short flight at the end and vica verca if you live in Europe.

Whichever you choose, east, west, Pride, Legend, the service and standard will be exactly the same, fantastic!

We have already booked for 2008 which should give you an idea of how fast these tend to sell, I would just ask your TA which is the first available!!!

Kathryn

Hi Dave and welcome to Seabourn Cruise Line! With the exception of the Classic and Owner’s suites, the egalitarian design philosophy on the triplets, as we affectionately call them, means all suites are of the same design, size and amenities. There are a few exceptions: some suites only have showers or queen beds that can’t be converted into twins. The deck plans in the brochure have all the details. The higher tariffs are strictly for location, location, location. Regardless of your suite number or deck location, the onboard experience on the Pride, Spirit or Legend will be fantastic! The depiction of life onboard in the Seabourn brochure or DVD tells it just how it really is.

I personally prefer the Nov. westboud crossings on the Legend. You get 5 additional hours of daylight from sailing through all those time zones but the weather and sea height on the southern route has been lovely the last 4 years (and I will be onboard for this and next year's crossing) with temperautes increasing gradually from the 70s in Tenerife to the mid to upper 80s by the time we reach Fort Lauderdale. Granted, we do sail through 2 or 3 weatehr systems each crossing, the seas have been fairly calm the last 4 years. However, that is up to King Neptune and he does have a bad hair day occaisonally. I have done springtime eastbound crossings on other ships and aside from losing those 5 hours, the weather gets colder aas you sail northeast to Lisboa and you will need to pack warmer clothing. But what I love the most about the crossings is that without passengers scurrying about at port stops, you are a captive audience and you really get to know your fellow passengers but also bond with the crew and make friends with the officers as you become an extended family! Do not be surprised when you get onboard and discover that about half of the passengers have done the crossing at least 2 times before. The crossing repeaters are in the ships groove right from embarkation and after a few days you will be in the ship's groove and new members of the family. That is what brings me back to Seabourn year after year.

Four or five years ago, the Pride and Legend crossings sailed half full; now they are the most popular cruises on Seabourn and are usually sold out and waitlisted! For this November's Legend crossing, there were, I believe, 24 on the waitlist. If you are a solo sailor or part of a couple, Seabourn has a very popular guarantee program where you pay the fare for a given category and you will be berthed in at least that category (sometimes, you are upgraded). These guarantee and single run-of-ship (SROS) suites are capacity controlled and vary by ship and sailing. Early booking savings either expire or are reduced as the final payment date approaches. This, along with all aspects of sailing on Seabourn, are explained in the brochure. There has been a booking frenzy on Seabourn! For the cruise year March 2007 to March 2008, bookings were accepted begining March 31, 2006. Keep this in mind for future reference. The crossing guarantee and SROS suites sell out very quickly in a few months while the ship could be completely sold out at least 6 months before sailing. My advice, book the Seabourn sailing of your dreams ASAP!

Ask any and all questions that you may have. A specific question will most likely garner the most responses. There are many Seabourn sailors that post here who are experts in all aspects of the Seabourn experience and crossing aficionados as well.

Again Dave, welcome aboard. If you decide to sail on Seabourn, you have chosen well.

A specific question will most likely garner the most responses. There are many Seabourn sailors that post here who are experts in all aspects of the Seabourn experience and crossing aficionados as well.

Again Dave, welcome aboard. If you decide to sail on Seabourn, you have chosen well.

Dave, I am virgin Seabourn sailor and just love this forum and the response I have had to my questions. Thanks Paul, Pinkie, Jane and others grouphug.gif

Dave,

The Seabourn Crossing's are life changing~~~the Pride and the Legend both 6* in all aspects! As I've not experienced the Legend Crossings I can only speak of our Pride 12 day Atlantic voyages. The Spring (March) Cross is quite popular and sells out quickly. I can remember 5 years ago we sailed from Ft. Laud to Madiera, Portgual, with 97 guests! It was akin to a private yacht!!

The weather is usually very warm with sunshine daily~~~maybe light showers early, a few mornings, but by 10 a.m. many of the guests are lounging and sunning on the sundeck like lizards! Our fall (Sept) Crossing tends to be cooler~~~especially if coming from Northern Ireland to Newfoundland. Next month our voyage will start in London and we'll sail to Plymouth, England, the Azores~~arriving in Plymouth/Gloucester, Mass. ~~the weather/seas will be warm and will be a much smoother 16 day "ride." Both the Legend and the Pride Crossing's the passenger's tend to be seasoned, long-time Seabournite's!We indeed book very early~~many of us book 2 years in advance. (both ships have long waiting lists)

I must warn you, however......"once Seabourn, always Seabourn!!"

Being spoiled rotten becomes addictive and makes it impossible to "go back" to the quasi-luxurious lines.

Please come and join us! My favorite dinner toast is: "The best Islands in the world are those that float and move......their names are, The Pride, The Legend and The Spirit!"

Blackie, thank you for your nice words......and compliments! Your Pinky is always willing to share any/all "Sister's" information.

Happy Trails and Sails

Martita B.

I have done both the Northern and Southern routes, E>w and found that I like the shorter string of sea days at one time. Although it can be a bit bouncier, I shall always pick the Pride Northern route as the one for me. I also like the stops better and sailing from the UK rather than Spain. But any day on Seabourn is a delight not to be missed.

I just called about the 11/07 crossing and was told all A's are sold out but plenty of the rest available! We want to wait until aboard Pride next month to book so I hope there will be something left by then! Jean

I contacted SB yesterday about Nov 07 crossing availability. Only A2s left. A little more than I wanted to spend :rolleyes:. Will probably look into March 08 as a translantic cruise has always been a dream of mine.

Booked my first Silversea cruise a few months ago and sail this October. Friends have highly recommended SB as well so I plan to do a little comparison shopping between the two lines :).

I frequently read both the SB and SS posts and have found so much helpful information on both. Thanks to all who provide so much detail and share your experiences with us newbies!

I contacted SB yesterday about Nov 07 crossing availability. Only A2s left. A little more than I wanted to spend :rolleyes:. Will probably look into March 08 as a translantic cruise has always been a dream of mine.

Hi tennisbunny, I would call today and inquire as to the availability of suites on both the Legend and Pride spring 2008 crossings! It is only a phone call and you can decide what to do after that. I booked the Pride Mar. 2008 crossing 23 months in advance and the best I could do was a 150% SROS! The 125% SROS were long gone. I suspect the double occupancy guarantee suites are going like "hot cakes!"

Paul's axiom: You snooze (procrastinate) you pay more for your cruise or might not get the sailing you really want.

If you can sail on short notice, you may find that about 90 days out some of the lower category cabins shake free when the final payments come due.

As for discounts, some travel agents discount Seabourn. It is one of the last of the better lines that does not prohibit discounting...yet.

Learned this week our Pride Sept. 29 Transatlantic sailing is sold out!! Also it's overbooked by 1 Suite. Would anyone know what exactly happens if no one cancels when a voyage is overbooked?

Have a great weekend!

MB

Hi Martha,

I'm not at all surprised that the "semi-northern" crossing sold out. If nothing else, this board has shown how popular the transoceanic crossings are. I, personally, find the northern ports-of-call more intriguing.

You built up such anticipation earlier this year, I'm sure you'll treat those "Coming to America" with the same suspense and hospitality. But ... you still haven't shared the theme/color of this voyage!

johnny

n.b. still trying to figure out which W. Hemisphere itinerary those with limited vacation will take and wondering if any particular SB fans will be watching the Big Orange play the Golden Bears in K-town this weekend.

Looking forward to transatlantic cruise in 08, first time on Seabourn, and like to do lots of research. I love to find out all about a place before I go, in this instance, the Seabourn Legend.

Questions for repeat sailers:

What's the everyday routine like; that is, special daily activities that you enjoy?

Where's your favorite hangout?

Special entertainment you look forward to?

Special restaurant happenings that you love?

Have you ever found the pool or jacuzzi crowded?

Anyone experienced the free Azores excursion? What was it like?

Finally, does Seabourn put out a daily update bulletin of what's happening?

Thanks for any input.

Ginger

What's the everyday routine like; that is, special daily activities that you enjoy? - I find the daily routine on the crossings to be very relaxed. Many people enjoy mid-day trivia. I got into a habit of afternoon naps! :)

Where's your favorite hangout? - The Sky Bar - a nice place to socialize!

Special entertainment you look forward to? - Unless you have a talented cruise director such as Eric DeGrey, you might find the entertainment lacking on Seabourn, that's at least my opinion.

Special restaurant happenings that you love? - You'll be invited to hosted tables by the officers, lecturers and entertainers - those are always great nights.

Have you ever found the pool or jacuzzi crowded? - No

Finally, does Seabourn put out a daily update bulletin of what's happening? - Yes, Seabourn Herald - basically the same as all cruiselines.

• 2 weeks later...

We have sailed Seabourn and loved it. At the same time, if you really want to cross the Atlantic, and soon; you might look at the QM2. Though it is a large ship, it surely is not the same as most of the large mass market ships. They really do things up nice. They run some nice sales as well, especially for last minute cruising.

Again, it can not be compared to Seabourn, but is surely an option unless you MUST have the small ship/yacht experience.

Gary

We have sailed Seabourn and loved it. At the same time, if you really want to cross the Atlantic, and soon; you might look at the QM2. Though it is a large ship, it surely is not the same as most of the large mass market ships. They really do things up nice. They run some nice sales as well, especially for last minute cruising.

Again, it can not be compared to Seabourn, but is surely an option unless you MUST have the small ship/yacht experience.

Hi Gary,

Last Feb/Mar I sailed on QM2 from Los Angeles to the Hawaiian Islands and back and had a blast on that cruise! I would sail again on QM2 in a heartbeat. You are correct, the ship is large but you don't get that impression if BIG while onboard until it is time to get on the tenders! :p

You are correct about Cunard having sales. I have friends on the Legend's Nov. crossing that have and some others are considering sailing from NYC to London on QM2 for less than business class airfare! :eek: Spending some time in Europe and making the hop down to Malaga amnd embark on the Legend. That is my kind of flight! :D

But as I have posted previously this thread, there is something very special about crossing the Atlantic Ocean on a SeabournYacht! :)

• 1 year later...

Please give me some advice. I am definitely going to do Ft. Lauderdale-Lison or the reverse. Is there any reason to choose one over the other? Spring fits my schedule slightly better but there isn't really a big difference to me.

Also, I see that there is a choice of ships. Is there a reason to choose one over the other. Having read this board for a while, I realize my question is almost theological but I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Please give me some advice. I am definitely going to do Ft. Lauderdale-Lison or the reverse. Is there any reason to choose one over the other? Spring fits my schedule slightly better but there isn't really a big difference to me.

Also, I see that there is a choice of ships. Is there a reason to choose one over the other. Having read this board for a while, I realize my question is almost theological but I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

I have done several Seabourn crossings on Seabourn Legend. Persoanlly I prefer the westbound crossings, as you pick up hours as you sail instead of the opposite. The Legend and Pride crossings have become quite the popular cruise!

Host Dan

Dave,

Happy to see you posting again!:p

A suggestion is to read the many replies you received from your 1st post here in Aug. of 2006. I just read the thread and there's so many excellent comparsions from seasoned Seabourn Crossers.

Both fall and spring TA Crossings are very popular as so many of us enjoy the lazy, hazy, daisy sea days!

Please come join us!

Happy weekend!:D

Martita B.

Archived