Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

Oh I really like this place because its peaceful, yet still has that great atmosphere and the stretch of beach isn't large but its good enough for a few hours. Oh don't worry, there are restrooms in several areas close to the beach and you can use them, no problem. You can also use the restrooms to change. A drive to Front Street takes no more than 5 minutes tops (without traffic). There's several snacking locations that are outdoors so you can eat as well. They have great drinks and watersports but you have to pay for that. If you are the relaxing type, you can lie down and tan while reading or sleeping. Its great. Oh and if you plan on renting beach chairs, I think they charge like $5 per chair per day.

Happy Beaching!

i thought i saw someone post pictures that DIVI beach was under construction and not usable...is this still the case?

thanks for the help!!!

Hi snoopy_leogirl,

We've just booked a trip in April that goes to your lovely island. My wife

is definitely a beach person so I'll pass on your advice. I, however, like to

scuba dive. Do you, or any of your friends, have recommendations on this?

(I apologize in advance if you covered this already as I jumped around a

bit in this thread before asking the question). Anyway, like the other's have

said already, I really appreciate the invaluable information and look forward

to visiting your island (one of the few we've yet to visit in the Caribbean).

Randall

I will being coming on December 14th on Carnival Glory we port at 8am and leave at 6pm. What would be a fun thing to do/see for a 5 year old. Also, what beach is the best for snorkeling? Can you take home shells/washed up corals from the beach? If we did a island tour how much do taxi cabs charge?

SNOOPY_LEOGIRL

Can you give me some info on doing this tour on our own, It is not offered through our cruise line. Is it best to rent a car to get there or how much is a taxi? I know there is a $5.00 entrance fee, how much do the the canopy tour?

Thanks

Snoopy_leogirl

I would like to tour both sides of the island, do a little shopping, and then try to go to Orient Beach just for a short stay there. My husband is not much for laying on the beach, but I really would like to see the beach there. Is there a tour guide or company that I can book this through?

My husband and I used Arthurs last year for scooters, he picked us up promptly at the pier and dropped us back. Our scooters where ready and waiting and he was such a nice nice person. We loved him so much we are using him again in Sept. Arthur's is a MUST....Also for the beach goers, we also visited Friars and it was by far the most breath taking beach we've been too. We were able to do so much using scooters what a blast we had!!

SNOOPY_LEOGIRL,

We arrive in St. Maarten on Weds 10/5 at 8:00 AM. We are planning on grabbing a taxi and heading to Divi Resort. It is my understanding that there are also pools at this resort, do you know if they can be used by cruise vistors? How long of a taxi ride is it from the port to Divi? Trying to manage my time, since we are venturing out on our own and not with a ship excursion. Thanks SO much for all you wonderful advice about St. Maarten! :D

Can you tell me what beach is right next to the pier on St Maarten?

Thanks!

Thought I'd jump in and answer some.

Great Bay is where the cruise ships dock on St. Maarten. Philipsburg is along Great Bay and the first street back off the water is Front Street. Lots and lots of shopping in this area.

snoopy_leogirl,

Thanks for all your input!

what's the easiest/best way to get to Marigot, St. Martin from Philipsburg, St. Maarten? and how long will it take?

Is Marigot the best option if going to St. Martin?

I would suggest taking a taxi from the cruise dock. About 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic. We always enjoy shopping in Marigot (also Philipsburg!). You should have plenty of time to see & do lots of things. Go shopping, eat at a French restaurant, visit a French beach, go shopping - return to the Dutch side - repeat as necessary.

Snoopy leogirl, I've just read the first ten pages of your replies and cannot beleive that someone would be nice enough to take the time to reply to all these messages. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now here's mine if you have time. I love the beach and plan to rump the waves for as many hours as I can. Standing chest-deep in the water and rumping as each wave rolls in is my ideal of paradise. Planning on Divi or Orient, I want to find out more about Mullet Bay. I did read one post about secureing your items. Do any of the beaches have daily safe rentals like Horseshoe Bay in St. Thomas. I can't truely enjoy the water if I have to worry about a camera, etc. on the beach. I plan on stopping by your dad's shop and saying HI!!!:)

Thought I'd jump in and answer some.

Great Bay is where the cruise ships dock on St. Maarten. Philipsburg is along Great Bay and the first street back off the water is Front Street. Lots and lots of shopping in this area.

Thank you!!! :D

Hi snoopygirl.. just found this thread today, wished i`d found it 3 months ago. have read alot of this thread. i`m so glad there are people like you that take the time to do such a great service :) .

We will be on your island october 5, 2005 from 8am to 6pm. looking forward to this so much!!

this being our first time, i don`t want to try to take in alot, but rather enjoy everything we can in time aloted. the main thing we want to do is orient beach, maho beach to see the planes & do some shopping & visit your family`s store. So, would it be better to take cab- taxi, or rent a car for the day? how much do you think it would cost either way?

thank you so much in advance.

My wife and I stayed at the Maho Resort for a week in 2003. Loved it!!

Is the Soprano's Piano Bar near the Maho still open? I recall it have the only really good Margarita I could find.

Thanks,

Hello everyone, Snoopy leogirl hasn't posted since July 30th and I hope that she's all right. Can anyone else help me with info about rental safes on the beach for your valuables? camera, wallet, etc. St. Thomas had these and it was a great feeling that I had nothing to worry about. Worst case scenario I will just pick up a throw away camera and deal with soggy cash:p I went to a soggy island bar in the BVI's where you had to swim to shore, everyone's money was wet and they had a clothesline where they simple hung the money out to dry. Hope you all have a great time on the island. It'll be my first time and this site has been a great help soooo far.

Archived