Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]it sounds like orient beach is the best is there a good place near by to get drinks and also what can you tell us about the shopping (jewerly etc..)?[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]thanks so much you have been so informative[/size][/font]

You might want to think about a parka in case of chilly days. Go [url=http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/TNCM/1972/4/1/PlannerHistory.html?dayend=30&monthend=4&yearend=1972]HERE[/url] to check out historical weather for the island.

:)

Gary - I just got back from 2 weeks in Key West so now I can plan on our trip to St. Maarten. Will be in Key West again for a week then on to SXM from 4/16 thru 4/30. Will link up with 6 other people so will have a non-stop party the whole time. Hmmmm, Orient every day from 11 to 4!!

BTW, Joyce is a real sweetheart! She changed her schedule to provide a tour for my friend who will be on island during a cruise for one day in April. She's also providing 4 cars for us. I'll link up with her for the Jouvert Jump-up during Carnival. What a hoot!!!!

For jewelry I would go to [url=http://www.geocities.com/touchofgold2000/rframe.html]Touch of Gold[/url] in Philipsburg on Front Street. They have a nice selection of watches, but if they don't have the brand you're after they'll tell you where to get the best price. Ask for Sanjay (or Heeru - the owner) and make sure you mention that KEN suggested you stop by. They've been in business for more than 30 years and are extremely well respected in the community. They'll take very good care of you. ($)

For car rental, there are lots of vendors near the pier. I would suggest a local vendor as there have been MANY BAD reviews for Budget, Flamingo, National/Alamo, Premier, Reynolds, Thrifty, Tropical, and Value.

thank you for the info, I checked out the site (touch of gold) it is great, do you know of any shops that would have a good deal on a Rolex watch? I did not see any listed on the the touch of gold site. we live in orlando and my husband wanted to stop at Gray and Sons in Miama they have excellent deals on previously owned rolex's and i was thinking maybe we could get a better deal in the islands?

Also as far as the car rental I was asking because i have heard horrible stories about credit cards getting charged huge amounts from these rental places, have you heard anything like that?

You're right, Touch of Gold doesn't carry Rolex watches. I would suggest you drop Sanjay an email message (mentioning my name) and ask him for a recommended merchant.

For rental car credit card scams, I've never heard of that on St. Maarten. However, one way to protect yourself would be to call your credit card company and have them provide a temporary limit on charges. Then use another card for other transactions.

I'm sure you have answered this question a hundred times, but I have to ask again..lol

We are taking a shore excursion from our ship to Orient 9:30-2PM. We would like to then go to the bar at Maho.
1. How far is it from the ships pier
2. how much do you think it would cost for 2 adults to get there?
3. also, what times do the stores open and what is the closest to our ship?

What time would we have to leave the bar to get back to the ship by 5:00?

Thanks again for all your useful info

Our boat tour in St. Maarten does not begin until 11:00, however we arrive in St. Maarten at 7:00 a.m. I read on this post that the bus fare from Philipsburg to Marigot is $2. Is that correct? Is it difficult to get a bus? What time do the busses start? Would we have enought time for a quick visit to the French side?

The day my ship pulls into port, there are 7 other cruise ships in Port the same day..I am figuring thats 14,000 extra people on the island. How hard will it be to catch taxi's and will traffic be really bad due to all the ships in port?

Which beach do you recommend for snorkeling, but also has the beach life including drinks, food, and reggae music? We, my group, all have our own snorkel gear and are able to walk/hike if needed. Only in St. Maartan for the day. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Hi Snoopy,
I am having trouble trying to find out what exactly is open and what will closed on Good Friday, March 25. We were thinking about Orient Beach and maybe a beach bar like Kon Tiki, or if we don't do that, maybe going to Holland House or even L'Escargot for lunch. I emailed L'Escargot but haven't heard back. It looks like the shops on Front St. will be closed -- do you know if all the shops and restaurants will be closed? Thank you!

I enjoyed a day at "Every Tings Cool" beach during my most recent visit to St. Martin, and really enjoyed their beach atmosphere & many flavors of Pina Coladas. (Especially liked the fact that they were SO close to the ships & shopping) I have since read that "ETC" has been sold:-(

Can you tell me if the beach is still open, or if it is now under a new name?

Thanks for your help.

Chic

We will be in St. Martin for one day from a cruise ship. We have planned a
shore tour that tours both sides of the island, shopping in Marigot, and time
on Orient Beach. My question is about the shopping in Marigot. Could you
recommend a French wine shop or maybe a sweet red wine from Marigot??
Thanks for your suggestions.

Can you walk from the cruise docks to Philipsburg? How far is it from the docks? And are there sidewalks? I am very athletic so walking is not a problem as long as there are sidewalks.

How much will it cost to tour the entire island by taxi or with a local tourist company?

Also is Great Bay Beach okay? How far is it from the docks? Is there a fee?

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi all!

I am planning a surprise vow renewal for my dh and was looking at doing it on St Maarten. We have a pretty large party cruising with us and I am doing this without a minister and the like. We need a spot that is pretty and accessible since there are some that can manuver around easily and some that can't. Outdoors and children friendly preferred since I have little ones. Any suggestions?

Archived