Would love to try to answer as many St.Maarten questions as possible...

Snoopy girl, thanks for taking the time to post information. I am looking forward to visiting your island in February. Some members of my group are looking forward to parasailing at Orient Beach. Do you have any idea about the costs? Thank you in advance.

Hello :). My husband and I went to Orient Beach last week and had an amazing time! We hung out at Friendly Bar (next to Paradisio and Mexicano Bars) and had our every need attended to by a young Frenchman named Ludwig. He was so helpful and welcoming. Now I am trying to get the bar's address to send them some pics and a thank you note. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Snoopy girl, thanks for taking the time to post information. I am looking forward to visiting your island in February. Some members of my group are looking forward to parasailing at Orient Beach

I think it was $90 for a single and less for a double. Our friends did it and found the ride to be a little short (about 8 minutes). We rented jet skiis for $40 and $55 each (one was faster),

I was able to buy a small Wedgewood plate while in Grand Cayman that was especially made for the Island. It says "Cayman Islands" on the front with a sea turtle on it. Do you know of any shops in St. Martin that might carry these specialty plates? I would like to buy one for all the islands we visit, if possible! :)

Hey Snoopyleogirl,

Thanks for all of the great info on St. Maarten. We dropped into your father's store and I was able to speak briefly with him and your sister. You have a very nice family. My daughter made a purchase there also.

Just wanted you to know that we found and enjoyed the store. Thanks again for your information and assistance on the island.

I am glad to hear that you had a great visit to our island. No problem, I am glad that you got to meet my dad and sister and I was happy to help with all this board info on our island. :D

Hi Snoopy LeoGirl!

A big thank you for answering all these questions! I have a very specific one...hope you can help! We've been to your island 3 or 4 times and became friendly with one shop owner in particular named Venita. She and her family own the shop and I think it's called Gulmohars. I think! It's located right next to or only a few doors down from the McDonalds on Front Street. I know it's a long shot...but do you know her by any chance, or are you at least familiar with the shop I'm speaking of? I've lost her email and mailing address since we were there last September and would love to contact her to let her know we'll be there next February. The best part is...our ship is in port from

8:00 am until 1:00 am!!! Any info you have regarding Venita or her shop would be greatly appreciated!

Also...Do you recommend hanging out in the evening at the bar/restaurants right near the ship...OR...taking a bus or taxi to Maho to check those places out? Can you recommend any places to eat and/or drink in particular? Prices really aren't too much of an issue if it's worth the money!

In closing...I hope your Father is doing better...we'll surely visit his shop as well...and would love to meet both of you!

Thanks a billion!!!

I am not sure about who you are talking about but if you got the name of the store correct which is Gulmohar's I have a listing of some information for you:

Business Tel: 599-54-22956

Business Fax: 599-54-24542

Email: vgm@megatropic.com

If the store you visited is right to the left of McDonald's, then this is the right place. Home i've helped you with this.

Well, the places in Maho are actually much more lively and full of people at dinner time on most evenings especially on weekends. I suggest Cheri's Cafe in Maho, its a really hot spot with tourists and they have great drinks and food and also live music with dancing and live entertainment most days. If you prefer to stay closer to town, try going to Taloula Mango at the boardwalk. Its a nice restaurant, but see, its usually pretty mellow there. Maho is where all the action usually is so I would suggest that you go there over choosing town.

It's great being able to write to an island expert! Thanks. We have a group of about 27 coming in on a cruise the 2nd week of Aug. and would like to go on a 4x4 jeep tour. Have heard about Nasa, but they rent ATV's and it's not a guided tour. I think we would be better with a guided tour since we have not been there before. We have ages ranging from 8-very young 50 somethings. Quad Venture was another I heard about but they don't allow kids on the ATV's. ATV's might be OK in place of a jeep tour, but we would prefer the jeep tour. Any suggestions?:rolleyes:

You know all the people that ask me about tours and stuff, I feel lost because I don't know that much about tours here but the jeep tour sounds like a better deal to me. It sounds like being adventurous but not too out there at the same time which is good and safer for kids and the older adults who might not like the ATV's. Sorry I haven't been much of a help with this. Maybe a tourist who has done one of these tours can give you a better answer.

Hi snoopy,

can you tell me if the airport where the planes fly in over the beach is still open??? my partner and I are plane geeks and wanna try and go to this beach if its still open and planes are coming in.

Thanks

Oh yeah, it is surely open. The beach is always free and its great, I think you'll love it. I am a plane geek myself and am always fascinated whenever I see them landing here and taking off. Trust me, its an adventure you will love to have. I don't think you will ever experience anything else quite like it in terms of airplanes.

Snoopy girl, thanks for taking the time to post information. I am looking forward to visiting your island in February. Some members of my group are looking forward to parasailing at Orient Beach. Do you have any idea about the costs? Thank you in advance.

I have never parasailed before but I can tell you approximately how much it may cost. It all depends on how long you are doing it for. If you are a big group, try to ask for a discount...you might just get lucky even though I don't think they usually give discounts normally. I think it can range anywhere from a minimum of $50 to about $70.

Hello :). My husband and I went to Orient Beach last week and had an amazing time! We hung out at Friendly Bar (next to Paradisio and Mexicano Bars) and had our every need attended to by a young Frenchman named Ludwig. He was so helpful and welcoming. Now I am trying to get the bar's address to send them some pics and a thank you note. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Not sure about that info that you are looking for. I can only get it if I go to Orient soon. Will try to find it sooner though.

I was able to buy a small Wedgewood plate while in Grand Cayman that was especially made for the Island. It says "Cayman Islands" on the front with a sea turtle on it. Do you know of any shops in St. Martin that might carry these specialty plates? I would like to buy one for all the islands we visit, if possible! :)

Ooh, I don't think you will find wooden plates specifically with sea turtles on it. Not sure, your best bet is to just look around.

I read on these boards that sunset was approximately 4:30 in January. Is this true? If so, we may need to alter our plans. Thanks for your help.

Oh, no way! This isn't NYC. LOL!

Sunset in Jan is about 5:30 even maybe at 5:45 p.m. but thats stretching it.

What is the closest car rental company to the dock?

I think that the pier must surely have a car rental either within or nearby. If the pier doesn't have one within, then you can find booths on Front Street with info on how to rent a car close by.

Snoopy Leogirl,

You are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for sharing. :) Where is the best place to buy Kahlua, Rum, Vodka? Any place better than others? I know that San Juan is the best for Kahlua! Way better than Cozumel. Go figure! Traveling in August. Thanks, dear. Kathy :)

Hi Snoopy Leogirl,

First of all.....thank-you for all of the wonderful information you are relaying. Very nice of you to take up your own time to help out other people.

Now my question......is there an place to book a dolphin excursion there privately? I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for any info. you're able to come up with.

Jo

Snoopy, someone linked this thread to a question I had about beaches on your island. I got up to page seven of this thread, but...would you mind answering something (I cheated and jumped to page 15).

It sounds like you really like this Divi beach, which I think you mentioned is 10 mins. away from the cruise ship pier. Are there facilities visitors to the beach can use? It hink you mentioned Divi is a resort, so...? Not necessarily looking for changes rooms, just a place to go when nature calls (I'm sorry, I grew up swimming in pools and was trained to get out of the pool if you have to go).

Also, how long does it take to get to Front Street (again?)

Thanks!

Snoopy Leogirl,

You are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for sharing. :) Where is the best place to buy Kahlua, Rum, Vodka? Any place better than others? I know that San Juan is the best for Kahlua! Way better than Cozumel. Go figure! Traveling in August. Thanks, dear. Kathy :)

If you are stopping by in St.Maarten, you should visit a store called Ray's Jewelry International. I know for a fact that they have rock bottom prices on any kind of alcohol. Its located on Front Street and its about a 20 minute walk from the pier. Also, if you don't have time to go there, at the port, you will find a liquer and cigarette store which sells that stuff but as for the prices, I am not sure what they are.

Hi Snoopy Leogirl,

First of all.....thank-you for all of the wonderful information you are relaying. Very nice of you to take up your own time to help out other people.

Now my question......is there an place to book a dolphin excursion there privately? I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for any info. you're able to come up with.

Jo

Dolphin excursion -- we don't have any on St.Maarten but there are plans to build one right next to the ship port. If you really are interested in doing that and have a good bit of time on the island, you can take a ferry to a nearby island called Anguilla. They have the dolphin excursion thing but if you are serious about going, you need to go there as early as possible and by the time you are back on our island, I don't think you'll have much time left for any shopping. But let me see if I can find that information for you about the Dolphinarium. Oh and one more thing, the ferry to go to Anguilla starts off at the French Side so you have to take a taxi to the pier at the French Side first.

Here's some info:

Dolphins in Anguilla

More Info...

And some more...

Hope this helps!

Snoopy, someone linked this thread to a question I had about beaches on your island. I got up to page seven of this thread, but...would you mind answering something (I cheated and jumped to page 15).

It sounds like you really like this Divi beach, which I think you mentioned is 10 mins. away from the cruise ship pier. Are there facilities visitors to the beach can use? It hink you mentioned Divi is a resort, so...? Not necessarily looking for changes rooms, just a place to go when nature calls (I'm sorry, I grew up swimming in pools and was trained to get out of the pool if you have to go).

Also, how long does it take to get to Front Street (again?)

Thanks!

Oh I really like this place because its peaceful, yet still has that great atmosphere and the stretch of beach isn't large but its good enough for a few hours. Oh don't worry, there are restrooms in several areas close to the beach and you can use them, no problem. You can also use the restrooms to change. A drive to Front Street takes no more than 5 minutes tops (without traffic). There's several snacking locations that are outdoors so you can eat as well. They have great drinks and watersports but you have to pay for that. If you are the relaxing type, you can lie down and tan while reading or sleeping. Its great. Oh and if you plan on renting beach chairs, I think they charge like $5 per chair per day.

Happy Beaching!

On our last visit to St. Martin, we took the water taxi and stayed in town. Did one of the beaches there and shopped. It was fun, but the beach isn't as nice as Orient. What do you think of the beach areas in town? Where is the best place to purchase booze to bring home? Thanks for sharing all of your expert knowledge of the island. It is a beautiful place and I can't wait to be there again.

Archived