Internet cafe CB $$ How much

lescas

we will be on next week, 9/2/06 east sailing. Can anyone give me the details, do they have a weekly package, per minute $ ?? Leaving everyone at home I know ill be anxious to hear whats going on. Thanks

I agree with iancal, "The time goes quickly...I found the connection to be very slow."

Lots of pop-ups when I 've use the Internet Cafe.

and I agree with:

SnorkelFool "... The cost was $0.35 per minute."

A couple of other threads in recent days have more info on this. i you search the Princess forum using key words, "Internet" you'll find them.

:)

I get it free because of being a Platinum cruiser but I am fairly sure it was 35 cents a minute last week on the CB. They have a nice 24/7 internet room set up in comfortable classroom style. I will tell you the connection is slow. It may take you several minutes to check normal email. You also cannot receive or open attachments from your email.

A word of warning is to make really sure you have discontinued your connection on the screen when you are done. Even if you jump up and leave the computer area, you are still getting charged until you follow their procedure for discontinuing your connection.

You can bring a laptop aboard and use in the atrium areas of the ship to receive your emails with attachments. The cost structure is different for this.

If you bring your own laptop and want to use that in a wireless way then you have to use it in the Internet Cafe or in the Atrium. There is no other wireless locals on the ship. You also pay the same price as the using the ship's computers in the interent cafe or library except you have to buy the time in 30 min increments. You go to the Pursers Desk and buy the first 30 mins and you are given a little card with a password. There is a sign up screen where you enter you name and cabin number. When the 30 mins runs out a screen comes up asking if you want to buy more time. You respond and continue or quit. You do not have to keep going back to the Purser's Desk. Some ships have 3-4 computers in the Library, these sometimes are less crowded than the Internet Cafe.

The best deal is to find a cybercafe in port and use it. They are usually very cheap and fast. In Africa I found one for $2 for 2 hours and it was right by the port. There are web sites that list all the cybercafes in the world. So you can usually check the ports you are going to and see if there is one close.

If you are Plat. Capt Circle or higher you get free internet access but only in the Internet Cafe, not using wireless. It shows up on your bill but at the end of the cruise you are credited the amount charged.

We use it to a minimum. Usually use port internet facilites in a cafe or hotel. Much faster, much cheaper. Other option is to download mail to the laptop, open at our convenience, reply, and then download the relys.

Just got off of CB. The cost was $0.35 per minute. The first minute was free.

We were on the Dawn when we saw the "first minute free" :) for the first time. The sign explained it allowed you to determine if you were happy with the internet speed after initially logging on, and if not :( , you could immediately log off ;) .

Just off the CB and used my own laptop while onboard.

Cost was 0.35/min. We did not have to sign up for a block of time. I understand that was done in the recent past but it has changed to actual minutes online. Now you go to the internet cafe and use one of their wired machines to sign-up for wireless by swiping your cruise card and clicking a few options then you are given a username and password.

The wireless access is available only in the Atrium area. We found the connection speed to be variable, but found no pattern.

A few pointers. We composed our emails offline....some of them very long. We then Ctl-C the entire message, then we logged on (kept the username and password saved...so automatically entered), then opened our email account (we use mail.google.com), then Ctl-V the message into the email, pressed send, then logged off (don't forget to logoff the Princess logon page that stays open). Using this method we could usually send large emails to our family about our cruise in less than 1 minute online.

You can send pictures from your laptop (but not from the computers in the internet cafe). We downloaded all our pics to our laptop from our digital camera. Then resize the pics to a reasonalbe size for attaching to email (640x480) and attach to an email. Family at home loved to see the occasional pic of us on the ship.

Archived