Vantage vs GCT Russian River Cruise

Billybob62

Vantage has just announced a Russian river cruise that is exactly the same as the GCT one, on the same river barge, for the same number of days, with the same included excursions, at the same hotels, for $200 - $400 less person, for May and June 2007 departures. I was led to believe that GCT was less expensive than Vantage, at least at the base price level. Anybody have any thoughts as to whether there are subtle differences that might make one company preferable to the other.:)

The owners of both Vantage and GCT are brothers so maybe they are running their Russian cruise on the ms Rossia together especially since Vantage says space is limited. Is GCT running their trip at the same time?

The dates leapfrog each other for both companies, except for June 21, 2007, which both share. The prices for the shared date are ($4145 GCT Boat deck) vs. ($3899 Vantage Boat deck) and ther same $246 differential applies for the other 2 decks. Again does anybody have any strong feelings about one company over the other? :) :)

I don't know where you got the GCT prices but when I just looked at their web site the June 21 boat deck price was 3895. I have also noticed they have taken off several of the cruise dates, 5/10,17,24 and 6/7. The 5/17 date is the one I have confirmed so I don't know what they are up to. I didn't realize the owners were brothers. I thought the brothers owned GCT and OAT.

Relevant: Maybe your computer goes to a different web site for GCT, but mine goes to one that says $4145 for Boat deck on June 21. What I was hoping to get was a candid assessment of the differences between GCT and Vantage, if any from people who may have traveled with both companies.:confused:

Billybob62,

I don´t think there´s a difference execpt for the price. As far as I know Vantage does only have their own boats on the European rivers (Rhine, Main, Danube river systems). On other rivers they are just like a TA offering group cruises on a third party boat. I met a Vantage group last year on the Columbia Queen (out of service). The group had special meetings aboard (reception), they had their own representative / guide and the whole group was on a separate bus. Tours and all other stuff was the same as for other passengers.

steamboats

Thanks Steamboats. I have noticed that you are more than willing to offer sage advice on this board, particularly as to river flows in Europe and I, for one, deeply appreciate your constant help. Back to the Russian river cruise, do you know if GCT also provides a guide with its group? If not, then that factor plus the lower price certainly tips my decision toward Vantage.:)

Billybob62

GCT caters to Americans so all of the guides speak English. The ship staff also speak English but I've heard that some are not too fluent. We're leaving 9/6 for the GCT Russian Waterways cruise.

I beleive that they are using different boats on the 6-21-06 date. The reason people get different prices on GCT as it depends on what departure city you use. They charge extra for certain departure cities.

If you go to GCT's site and use NYC as your departure city the price for the Boat Deck on 6-21-06 is $ 3895.00

They have 5 or 6 Program directors who act as guides thru out your trip.

BillyBob62:

Scroll down a bit and check out my comments on the "Russia Waters" topic that intially was posted by joek.

I've not looked at the 2007 brochures (as we just got back, doubt we would do that trip again next year) but check out my comments and the differences.

We've been on both Vantage and GCT a few times each. Both, I think provide an outstanding vacation experience.

The owners of GCT and Vantage are brothers. GCT owns the Rossia and is sharing it with Vantage. In the past they have also shared GCT's European river ships.

The price differences on the GCTs web page are due to different departure cities. The boat deck on 6/21 is $3895 our of NY on GCT and $3899 on Vantage.

I have traveled with both companies and found them very similar in just about every aspect.

Archived