Destiny A/C

brightonguys

I am booked on the Destiny for the 9/17 cruise from San Juan, and I have been reading about the problems with the A/C on the ship. It appears from all that I've read that it is for some reason an ongoing problem on this ship, but that it was especially bad during the July 7+1 sailing. Has anyone been on the Destiny since then that can share their experiences regarding the A/C, both in your cabin and on the rest of the ship? Thanks!

I seriously doubt you will get any useful info, what if it still is a problem? What if it is not? Will you cancel and not go? You should expect it to be a problem, but you may not encounter it.

Not trying to be an a$$ but it is like a weather post, sometimes you actually have to just show up to get the answer, and even if you have the answer, what would you do different?

I have read alot of threads lately that state the A/C problems are ongoing.

Might I make a suggestion? Most of the complaints are from those in balcony rooms. Keep your door securely closed. You are in high humidity and heat climates. Also these small rooms don't take much to heat if you open the door and spend time on your balcony. Also see if there is a draft from your door? Place a towel where needed.

I am on the Destiny this coming October and was concerned also. I was thinking oh no what did I get myself into. But I was thinking about the above and common sense is giving me the feeling that people are opening doors and turning A/C on high. Thus creating such a strain on the system.

Oh well that is my opinion and I wanted to share.:D

I am booked on the Destiny for the 9/17 cruise from San Juan, and I have been reading about the problems with the A/C on the ship. It appears from all that I've read that it is for some reason an ongoing problem on this ship, but that it was especially bad during the July 7+1 sailing. Has anyone been on the Destiny since then that can share their experiences regarding the A/C, both in your cabin and on the rest of the ship? Thanks!

You have to look on the bright side. They are always working on the ship. The problem might be fixed.

When we first board and get to our cabin it always felt warm but after we got underway a bit the airconditioning always kicked up a notch.

I agree with the above poster that lots of people open and close their balcony doors. Try to keep your doors open to a minimum plus keep the curtains closed during the day. Keep the bathroom door closed tightly. I really belive we will be fine with a/c.

sailing Destiny Sept 10 and not worried at all.

I was on the Destiny three weeks ago. We had an outside and the kids an inside on Riviera deck. Our cabin was very cool, but the boy's room was like a freezer - really cold, and they wanted it that way! The ship was fine with the exception of the Lido buffet area - always very warm and humid. They really need to install some ceiling fans in that area to circulate the air better. Granted, we cruised during the hottest time of the year, so possibly it gets better in that area later in the season.

We were on the Destiny last week. The air conditioning is fine in the public rooms and I heard from several people that deck 2 was cold. We had to change rooms during the cruise so we had rooms on both deck 6 and deck 8. There was air conditioning, but at the highest we could put it, it never got really cold. We couldn't use the quilt and I woke up several times during the night sweating. They were balcony rooms but we always get balcony rooms and never had this before. There is definitely something wrong with the air. However, it wasn't really that bad and we were able to put up with it for the week.

We booked late for this cruise - June - and wern't able to get a balcony with an inside across the hall, so we had to settle for the outside. Sounds like it was better for us in the long run. :)

Okay, good to hear that it's improving maybe. I am certainly fine with cool instead of cold. It sounds like the rooms have been far from cool recently, however. We are in a balcony room on 6, and will be sure to keep all doors and drapes shut. Don't plan to be in the room except to sleep, but it would be nice to sleep without waking up sweating. :)

I was on the August 6 sailing that MEK was on. We had a balcony cabin on the Lido Deck, which I had heard on the boards were among the cabins that experienced AC issues. When we first entered our cabin it was brutally hot even though the AC was turned up to high. We asked our steward about it and he reassured us that it would cool off once we got underway. He was absolutely correct. We never had a problem witht he AC in our cabin or most other areas of the ship. I do agree with MEK though, that the Lido Buffet area is ridiculously hot. Any time I went in there it was also full of flies! Yuck!! I think it is a poor design to have guests have to walk out to the pool area in order to go back in to the buffet. Perhaps that is why it is so hot and there are so many flies. I found the buffet area to be rather unappealing. Add to this the fact that some of the booths were in pretty bad disrepair and that someone had dropped an ice cream cone on the first day of the cruise on the carpet leading back towards the cooler, main area of the ship. It was still there by the third day, really starting to look repulsive. It was then that I informed one of the staff on the Lido Deck about it, thinking it would be taken care of. Well, it was still there the morning of debarkation! Totally disgusting and unsanitary. We ate as many of our meals as we could in the dining room because we found the Lido Deck to be so unappealing.

I'm sure I will be flamed for these remarks, but I'm only speaking the truth. Everyone has their own opinions. My advice would be to avoid the Lido deck and eat in the dining rooms. We enjoyed ourselves far more there. Plus, it is always nice to have someone attentive waiting on you.

I was on the Destiny when the air broke. (Inside Cabin) Hot, yes but it didn't ruin the whole trip. We got into our problems about the 5th day. We turned around and headed back to PR. Things happen. I was unaware that the ship was still having problems.

Hi Sparkysfriends - Hope you had a great time on your cruise. Overall, we had fun, but this is only the second time I have ever cruised in the summer and it will be the last. It's way too hot in the Caribbean for my taste, and even though we had two teens with us, there were too many kids, which probably makes for a much more casual cruise than I like. The Lido buffet was like a zoo during breakfast and lunch, so like you we went to the dining room.

Hi Sparkysfriends - Hope you had a great time on your cruise. Overall, we had fun, but this is only the second time I have ever cruised in the summer and it will be the last. It's way too hot in the Caribbean for my taste, and even though we had two teens with us, there were too many kids, which probably makes for a much more casual cruise than I like. The Lido buffet was like a zoo during breakfast and lunch, so like you we went to the dining room.

we used to cruise the last week in August/first week in Sept- leaving a hot enviroment for an even hotter place. THen we discovered cruising in February. WOW... leaving the cold, snow and ice to a nice warm place with no humidty... its a slice of heaven.

Now mind you last February we went to the Bahamas where a cold front moved in.. its was 52 degrees in freeport. Still beat our 20 degrees at home.

I was on the Destiny 9 years ago in August 1977, had oceanview room, no balcony. Had terrible problems with no air ---- really hot!!! Talked to purser, nothing helped.

Now I'm booked again for November. Had hoped that it was just a single incident, but apparently not. I am going to ask for a fan the minute I get on the ship.

Archived