Is it possible???

cruis'n sus'n

ILNancy...Just to arrive there....I would love to see the itinerary you have worked up for yourself....I can see you have done a lot of research

Well, cruis'n sus'n - when I get it figured out, I'll let you know! Seriously - I have a spiral notebook where I've been writing down my itinerary ideas for the past few months. They change almost daily! However, the itinerary that I keep coming back to is as follows, and this is after a northbound cruise on the Pacific Princess into Whittier in June 2007:

Day 1 of land trip - ship arrives in Whittier - Prince William Sound 6-hour cruise, train to Anchorage (1 night)

Day 2 - pick-up Hertz rental car in downtown Anchorage, drive to Talkeetna for flightseeing, then on to Healy (1 night)

Day 3 - 8 hour Denali shuttle bus to Fish Creek - drive to Fairbanks (2 nights)

Day 4 - Fairbanks sights (Riverboat, gold mine, UAF Museum)

Day 5 - drive to Valdez, Copper Center, or Kennicott/McCarthy (2 nights)

Day 6 - 6-hour cruise to Columbia Glacier out of Valdez, or Kennicott/McCarthy sights

Day 7 - drive back to Anchorage (1 night) via Richardson/Glenn Highways, with stop at Matanuska Glacier for afternoon glacier hike. *NOTE - the ferry doesn't run that day (Tuesday) between Valdez and Whittier. Besides, I WANT to do the drive!

Day 8 - fly home at 8:00 a.m.

This is the basic "shape" of my favorite itinerary. Some of the particulars, such as whether to stay 2 nights in Valdez or Copper Center or Kennicott/McCarthy, have yet to be worked out - but it will be somewhere along that part of the Richardson Highway. I'm waiting to see what 2-for-1 coupons are in the 2007 Toursaver book before making any final decisions about itinerary.

I have been told more than once that I'm trying to cover too much ground in one week. I'm not a "get out and do stuff" kind of person, but I like to see beautiful scenery. The Richardson and Glenn highways are reported to have a LOT of that - and that's why I don't want to drive back to Anchorage via the Parks Highway after going to Denali. I'm certainly not advising anyone else to do this, but this is what I would like to do if I had my druthers!!

Day 1 of land trip - ship arrives in Whittier - Prince William Sound 6-hour cruise, train to Anchorage (1 night)

Day 2 - pick-up Hertz rental car in downtown Anchorage, drive to Talkeetna for flightseeing, then on to Healy (1 night)

Day 6 - 6-hour cruise to Columbia Glacier out of Valdez, or Kennicott/McCarthy sights

Day 7 - drive back to Anchorage (1 night) via Richardson/Glenn Highways, with stop at Matanuska Glacier for afternoon glacier hike. *NOTE - the ferry doesn't run that day (Tuesday) between Valdez and Whittier. Besides, I WANT to do the drive!

The Richardson and Glenn highways are reported to have a LOT of that - and that's why I don't want to drive back to Anchorage via the Parks Highway after going to Denali.

Nancy,

That is certainly an ambitious itinerary and I understand that you like to see scenery. I have a few suggestions for you. First of all even though I have not been on either cruise to Columbia Glacier or the Prince William Sound cruise, I would not do both. They will be very similar since you are cruising the sound in both instances. In fact if you give up the Prince William sound Cruise you can pick up a day. If you do that, you could take the ferry on Monday from Valdez to Whittier, with the car. If not the ferry, you still pick up a night to spend somewhere else and be a little less hectic. There is are a couple of B&Bs at the foot of the Matsanuka Glacier you could stay at to breakup that long drive back from Valdez.

Day 1 of land trip - ship arrives in Whittier-Train to Anchorage Pick up rental car. Drive to Talkeetna. Flightsee and spend night in Talkeetna B&B

Day 2 - Drive to denali take 11am or 12 pm shuttle. Done at 8pm night in Healy

Day 3 - Drive to Fairbanks (2 hours) Do UAF museum and 2 pm El Dorado Mine

Day 4 - Fairbanks Riverboat morining Drive to Valdez (we did this and got to Valdez about 9PM driving a large RV and a stop at Worthington Glacier) Night in Valdez.

Day 5 - 6-hour cruise to Columbia Glacier out of Valdez, or Kennicott/McCarthy sights

Day 6 - Here is where you could ferry back to whittier if you wanted on a monday. Arrive Whitter 3pm drive back to anchorage 2 nights in Anchorage

Day 7 - Spend day touring Anchorage (Lots to do) 2nd night in Anchorage.

As far as scenic driving if you take the ferry you trade the Seward Highway for the Glenn. They are both beautiful but the Seward Highway goes along the Turnigan Arm and has spectacular views. The last 10 miles of the drive to Valdez are beyond compare as you drive thru Thompson Pass and see the waterfalls and the Worthington Glacier. Don't miss stopping at the glacier. This could replace the Matsanuka Glacier as one you can actually walk up to and touch. (There is a path below the viewing area to the glacier.)

If you really wanted to go nuts with driving then on day 6 drive down to seward from Whittier after the ferry. Night in Seward. Day 7- 8am 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour, stop at exit glacier, drive back to anchorage (3 hour drive) spend the night in Anchorage. (The kenai Fjords 6 our trip is one of the best trips in Alaska. Whales, puffins, sea lions, calving glaciers are the norm)

If you want to make the drive back from Valdez then spend that extra night on the Glenn and leave early to spend time in Anchorage and the last night in Anchorage.

Just some other options to consider. It is packed, but what the heck the days last 18 hours. Oh, and one last thing, stay in Bed and Breakfasts. They are wonderful in Alaska.

The Richardson and Glenn highways are reported to have a LOT of that - and that's why I don't want to drive back to Anchorage via the Parks Highway after going to Denali.

Nancy,

That is certainly an ambitious itinerary and I understand that you like to see scenery. I have a few suggestions for you. First of all even though I have not been on either cruise to Columbia Glacier or the Prince William Sound cruise, I would not do both. They will be very similar since you are cruising the sound in both instances. In fact if you give up the Prince William sound Cruise you can pick up a day. If you do that, you could take the ferry on Monday from Valdez to Whittier, with the car. If not the ferry, you still pick up a night to spend somewhere else and be a little less hectic. There is are a couple of B&Bs at the foot of the Matsanuka Glacier you could stay at to breakup that long drive back from Valdez.

Day 1 of land trip - ship arrives in Whittier-Train to Anchorage Pick up rental car. Drive to Talkeetna. Flightsee and spend night in Talkeetna B&B

Day 2 - Drive to denali take 11am or 12 pm shuttle. Done at 8pm night in Healy

Day 3 - Drive to Fairbanks (2 hours) Do UAF museum and 2 pm El Dorado Mine

Day 4 - Fairbanks Riverboat morining Drive to Valdez (we did this and got to Valdez about 9PM driving a large RV and a stop at Worthington Glacier) Night in Valdez.

Day 5 - 6-hour cruise to Columbia Glacier out of Valdez, or Kennicott/McCarthy sights

Day 6 - Here is where you could ferry back to whittier if you wanted on a monday. Arrive Whitter 3pm drive back to anchorage 2 nights in Anchorage

Day 7 - Spend day touring Anchorage (Lots to do) 2nd night in Anchorage.

As far as scenic driving if you take the ferry you trade the Seward Highway for the Glenn. They are both beautiful but the Seward Highway goes along the Turnigan Arm and has spectacular views. The last 10 miles of the drive to Valdez are beyond compare as you drive thru Thompson Pass and see the waterfalls and the Worthington Glacier. Don't miss stopping at the glacier. This could replace the Matsanuka Glacier as one you can actually walk up to and touch. (There is a path below the viewing area to the glacier.)

If you really wanted to go nuts with driving then on day 6 drive down to seward from Whittier after the ferry. Night in Seward. Day 7- 8am 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour, stop at exit glacier, drive back to anchorage (3 hour drive) spend the night in Anchorage. (The kenai Fjords 6 our trip is one of the best trips in Alaska. Whales, puffins, sea lions, calving glaciers are the norm)

If you want to make the drive back from Valdez then spend that extra night on the Glenn and leave early to spend time in Anchorage and the last night in Anchorage.

Just some other options to consider. It is packed, but what the heck the days last 18 hours. Oh and by the way, I advise you to stay in Bed and Breakfasts not hotels.

mkaplan - thanks for your very helpful suggestions, and especially for not shooting down my ideas as unworkable! My possible itineraries are divided between taking a shuttle to Anchorage immediately after the cruise ends, picking up the rental car and driving to Healy the first night - or doing the PWS cruise and staying in Anchorage the first night. I even have two rental car reservations - one for afternoon pick-up the day the cruise ends, and one for the next morning! In either case - we will still be traveling along Turnagain Arm. I'd rather do a PWS cruise and a Columbia Glacier cruise, than skip PWS and do a Columbia Glacier cruise AND take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier - which to me is more repetitious than my idea.

Another itinerary that I recently resurrected, which is less ambitious than the first one I mentioned but does go to Seward, is as follows:

Day 1 - cruise ends, PWS cruise, train to Anchorage (hotel)

Day 2 - Anchorage sightseeing (Alaska Native Heritage Center, trolley tour), Hatcher Pass, etc. to Talkeetna (2 nights B&B)

Day 3 - Denali day trip with Talkeetna Aero - would only do this if there's a 2-for-1 Toursaver coupon in 2007. Also taking a chance that we won't get to Denali at all if the plane doesn't fly

Day 4 - drive to Valdez via Glenn/Richardson (1 night) (looks to be about the same mileage as Fairbanks to Valdez)

Day 5 - ferry to Whittier, drive to Seward (2 nights)

Day 6 - Kenai Fjords cruise, Sea Life Center, etc.

Day 7 - glacier hike at Alyeska with The Ascending Path, return to Anchorage (1 night)

Day 8 - fly home

I'd rather do a PWS cruise and a Columbia Glacier cruise, than skip PWS and do a Columbia Glacier cruise AND take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier - which to me is more repetitious than my idea.

Day 1 - cruise ends, PWS cruise, train to Anchorage (hotel)

Day 2 - Anchorage sightseeing (Alaska Native Heritage Center, trolley tour), Hatcher Pass, etc. to Talkeetna (2 nights B&B)

Day 3 - Denali day trip with Talkeetna Aero - would only do this if there's a 2-for-1 Toursaver coupon in 2007. Also taking a chance that we won't get to Denali at all if the plane doesn't fly

Day 4 - drive to Valdez via Glenn/Richardson (1 night) (looks to be about the same mileage as Fairbanks to Valdez)

Day 5 - ferry to Whittier, drive to Seward (2 nights)

Day 6 - Kenai Fjords cruise, Sea Life Center, etc.

Day 7 - glacier hike at Alyeska with The Ascending Path, return to Anchorage (1 night)

Day 8 - fly home

I like the general idea of this one better. Faibanks is ok but to me there is no comparison between Fairbanks and Valdez and Seward. The Gold Mine tour and the Discovery are both well done and fun tours, but very touristy and not very scenic. You seem to like scenic. The UAF Museum is also very nice, but small and great if your in Fairbanks already. You can trade that for the Native Center in Anchorage if you like. As far as your itinerary I would again suggest some changes. Driving from Denali (or is it Talkeetna) is very, very long. If you are talking about Healy to Valdez then it is 480 miles. Otherwise it sounds like you would be skipping the park shuttle. For most people this is a can't miss. I also still have an issue with the PWS cruises. With the 6 hr Kenai fjords you will get up close and personal with a glacier as well as see wildlife. How about this.

Day 1 - cruise ends, train to Anchorage (hotel) P/up Car drive to Talkeetna. Late day flightseeing (the coupon is ususally for the 3pm flight). Overnight in Talkeetna.

Day 2 - Lv for Denali early. Arrive in time for 12 or 1 pm 8 hr shuttle in Denali. Overnight in Healy

Day 3 - Drive from Healy to Matsanuka Glacier. Overnight at Glacier and sightsee Glacier.

Day 4 - drive to Valdez via Glenn/Richardson Sight see cooper landing, worthington glacier, thompson pass. Overnight in Valdez

Day 5 - Day in Valdez. (Kayak to a glacier, Charter fishing for Halibut or Salmon, or Columbia Glacier tour. Overnight in Valdez

Day 6 - 8am ferry to Whittier. drive to Seward (stop at Conservation center first and then Exit Glacier. Overnight in Seward

Day 7 - 8am Kenai Fjords cruise, Drive back to Anchorage. Overnight.

Day 8 - fly home

I like the general idea of this one better. Faibanks is ok but to me there is no comparison between Fairbanks and Valdez and Seward. The Gold Mine tour and the Discovery are both well done and fun tours, but very touristy and not very scenic. You seem to like scenic. The UAF Museum is also very nice, but small and great if your in Fairbanks already. You can trade that for the Native Center in Anchorage if you like. As far as your itinerary I would again suggest some changes. Driving from Denali (or is it Talkeetna) is very, very long. If you are talking about Healy to Valdez then it is 480 miles. Otherwise it sounds like you would be skipping the park shuttle. For most people this is a can't miss.

The Denali day trip from Talkeetna includes the 8-hour Denali Park shuttle: http://www.talkeetnaaero.com/alaska_flightseeing_tours.htm On day 4 we would drive from Talkeetna to Valdez. I know it's a long drive (~350 miles), but it's the only long drive in this itinerary.

I also still have an issue with the PWS cruises. With the 6 hr Kenai fjords you will get up close and personal with a glacier as well as see wildlife.

In this itinerary I would do the PWS cruise, take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier (but not also go on the Columbia Glacier cruise), AND go on the Kenai Fjords cruise! Besides, I think the PWS cruise I'm most interested in gets as close to glaciers as the Kenai Fjords one: http://www.princewilliamsound.com/579.cfm

How about this.

Day 1 - cruise ends, train to Anchorage (hotel) P/up Car drive to Talkeetna. Late day flightseeing (the coupon is ususally for the 3pm flight). Overnight in Talkeetna.

Day 2 - Lv for Denali early. Arrive in time for 12 or 1 pm 8 hr shuttle in Denali. Overnight in Healy

Day 3 - Drive from Healy to Matsanuka Glacier. Overnight at Glacier and sightsee Glacier.

Day 4 - drive to Valdez via Glenn/Richardson Sight see cooper landing, worthington glacier, thompson pass. Overnight in Valdez

Day 5 - Day in Valdez. (Kayak to a glacier, Charter fishing for Halibut or Salmon, or Columbia Glacier tour. Overnight in Valdez

Day 6 - 8am ferry to Whittier. drive to Seward (stop at Conservation center first and then Exit Glacier. Overnight in Seward

Day 7 - 8am Kenai Fjords cruise, Drive back to Anchorage. Overnight.

Day 8 - fly home

Well - Healy to the Matanuska Glacier isn't a whole lot shorter than the drive from Talkeetna to Valdez! Think you mean Copper Center...Cooper Landing is on the Kenai peninsula. :) I appreciate your suggestions very much. Good thing I still have a tad over 9 months to make this work!

Well - Healy to the Matanuska Glacier isn't a whole lot shorter than the drive from Talkeetna to Valdez! Think you mean Copper Center...Cooper Landing is on the Kenai peninsula. :) I appreciate your suggestions very much. Good thing I still have a tad over 9 months to make this work!

No I did mean Healy to Matsanuska. I was offering as an alternative to be able to go to Healy. I was not aware of the option to fly to Denali from Talkeetna for the 8 hour shuttle trip. I haven't seen that trip on a coupon, only their flightseeing trips around McKinley or the Glacier landing. Do you know if the trip you are looking at includes any flightseeing around Mckinley or just the flight from Talkeeta to Denali and back? Because if thats the case its $350 to save the extra three hours of driving each way. I guess if you figure in picking up a night it might work, but then why not go for $450 from Anchorage and have the extra time there. Talkeetna itself is a 1 or 2 hour walk around.

I see you moved to AK (apparently from Miami ?). My DH and I have fallen in love with AK since our cruise this year. I am curious as to how hard this transition has been for you. How was your first winter? That's the part that scares me since we hardly have winter here in South Miss.

I see you moved to AK (apparently from Miami ?). My DH and I have fallen in love with AK since our cruise this year. I am curious as to how hard this transition has been for you. How was your first winter? That's the part that scares me since we hardly have winter here in South Miss.

Alaska is beautiful in the Winter. We live outside Anchorage and the avg temps are in the teens and 20s in the winter. It is very dry and therefore doesn't feel as cold as northern US cities. We didn't have any snowstorms. We had a couple of heavy snow falls. We really had no problem with it at all. We drove to Fairbanks from Anchorage in the winter for the international Ice Sculpture competition and went to Willow for the start of the Iditarod. It was outstanding. I always say, you can always dress for cold, you can't dress take off enough for too hot.

Here are my albums from our year here.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kaplanmd

If you would really like to see what it is like to live in Alaska here is a llink group of people who live in Alaska and people who are thinking of moving to Alaska. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Alaska-Living/

I always say, you can always dress for cold, you can't take off enough for too hot.

I totally know what you mean. Growing up in Anchorage, there was only one winter with really unbearable cold. The rest of the time the winters were great (I used to wear shorts during the winter) and the summers were even better Then my mother chose the middle of August to move us to Arkansas. I stepped of the plane to 100 degree temperatures at 9pm plus 100 percent humidity - mom was really lucky I didn't step back on that plane to go back to Alaska. I couldn't live down here if it weren't for air conditioning, and go outside as little as possible during the summer.

Alaska is beautiful in the Winter. We live outside Anchorage and the avg temps are in the teens and 20s in the winter. It is very dry and therefore doesn't feel as cold as northern US cities. We didn't have any snowstorms. We had a couple of heavy snow falls. We really had no problem with it at all. We drove to Fairbanks from Anchorage in the winter for the international Ice Sculpture competition and went to Willow for the start of the Iditarod. It was outstanding. I always say, you can always dress for cold, you can't dress take off enough for too hot.

Here are my albums from our year here.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kaplanmd

If you would really like to see what it is like to live in Alaska here is a llink group of people who live in Alaska and people who are thinking of moving to Alaska. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Alaska-Living/

Thanks for your reply. I really feel this deep calling for Alaska. I will check out your links. Both my DH and I have occupations that I think are appropriate for AK (I am in medical field and he is a boat captain) so we would be able to find jobs. He told me last week he didn't know how it was possible to be homesick for a place that you've never lived, but we both feel that way. And you're right about not being able to undress for the heat. I thought I would sweat to death last year when Hurricaine Katrina left us without power for 12 days. :D I just want to be sure I am not jumping off a cliff here!! Thanks again for the info...

swansonia, Alaska is a wonderful place to live. My parents are both from south Arkansas and decided to go to Alaska after seeing an ad in an accounting magazine in the early 70s. They went with the agreement they would stay 5 years, even if they were miserable. My mom left after 20, with many regrets about leaving. Alaska is a place that can truly grip your heart if its meant to. I would rather go through an earthquake than a tornado (or hurricane). I would rather have snow than a nasty ice storm. I would rather have a cold winter than an unbearably hot and humid summer. I would go back to Alaska in a second if the opportunity came about for me.

No I did mean Healy to Matsanuska. I was offering as an alternative to be able to go to Healy. I was not aware of the option to fly to Denali from Talkeetna for the 8 hour shuttle trip. I haven't seen that trip on a coupon, only their flightseeing trips around McKinley or the Glacier landing. Do you know if the trip you are looking at includes any flightseeing around Mckinley or just the flight from Talkeeta to Denali and back? Because if thats the case its $350 to save the extra three hours of driving each way. I guess if you figure in picking up a night it might work, but then why not go for $450 from Anchorage and have the extra time there. Talkeetna itself is a 1 or 2 hour walk around.

If we drive to Healy, then we'll do the loop to Fairbanks and down the Richardson. I don't want to drive to Healy and then drive back to Anchorage the way we came. The 2006 Toursaver coupon for the Denali day trip includes a scenic flight on the way to the park. If there's no coupon for the Denali day trip in the 2007 book, then we won't do that option - too much $$. So - I'm kind of in limbo here until the 2007 Toursaver book comes out later this year.

In regard to the Denali park shuttle - I would prefer to arrive in Healy the day before and take an early morning shuttle the following day, rather than arrive late morning and take an afternoon/evening shuttle.

Thank you for all your responses....Nancy, your itinerary help me alot....Thanks!!! We plan on doing a marathon land trip, also...We don't mind driving at all.....So far, I've only got a motel in Anchorage booked....I plan on booking a rental car today....Take care, Susan

Good luck with your planning, Susan!

After thinking more about our top two itinerary options, I looked at the map to see what we would miss by doing one itinerary over the other.

1. If we do the BIG LOOP itinerary - we will miss the drive from Portage to Seward along the Seward Highway (79 miles), the town of Seward, and a Kenai Fjords cruise.

2. If we do the small loop itinerary - we will miss the drive from Talkeetna north to Fairbanks (278 miles), the city of Fairbanks, and the drive from Fairbanks south to Glennallen (247 miles). We will miss the Columbia Glacier cruise, because we wouldn't do both that cruise plus take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier. If our plane from Talkeetna to Denali for the day trip doesn't fly - we'll also miss seeing Denali!

Looks like the BIG LOOP itinerary is the winner! :)

Thanks for all the planning ideas. As Nancy knows I'm also trying to plan a land tour and it's not going so well.

In regards to living in Alaska. All the power to you. All that cold and darkness would surely get to me in the winter. I love summers in FL. Warm Carribean type waters, breezy warm nights. Just love it!! This is the tiem of year I don't care for , late August and September, but that's about it.

We have been to Alaska 3 times (2 extended driving/camping and 1 cruise plus 1 week of driving). At the risk of offending, in those 9 weeks the only two things that didn't bowl us over were Fairbanks and (further north) Cheena Hot Springs.

I would personally trade two days in Fairbanks for one anywhere else in Alaska that I've been. We had a good time on the riverboat/ gold panning/ etc. and I don't mean to imply it was terrible but just that it ranks much lower than other items that I see on your proposed list.

Just one person's opinion though.... have fun.

I've seen alot of what you are planning on doing. All so beautiful!

One thing - if you don't already have your cruise booked - have you thought of doing your driving trip before the cruise? We did our land tour first and then cruised southbound and loved it cause after running around changing hotels every 1 - 2 nights and doing lots of driving, it was really nice to settle down and stay put in one place for 7 nights and just enjoy the cruise.

We also did a 4 1/2 hour cruise of Prince William Sound last June, 2005 called the "26 Glacier Cruise" and loved it out of Whittier. Really enjoyable and saw lots and lots of otters besides all the glaciers.

The drive from Anchorage to Seward is one of the most gorgeous we have ever seen.

You are going to have a great trip. Glad you picked June to go. We went May 19 - June 1 in 2001 and June 14 - July 1 in 2005 and the latter was definitely better for scenery and weather. Was even warm enough in Juneau to wear shorts. Lots of good weather on the June trip, rarely sprinkled.

You will have a great time. Alaska is so beautiful and scenic. We also drove to Valdez although from Anchorage. Long trip but we hit really clear skies and the views of the Wrangell-St. Elias mountain range was awesome.

Have a great time.

Thanks to Nancy, I finally have my trip layed out!

Day 1- Fly inot Anchorage with a one night stay at the Hilton.

Day 2- Drive to Seward, Holiday Inn Express, go to Sea Life Center

Day 3-Take a Kanai Fjords Cruise

Day 4- Drive to Talkeetna, stay one night, probably Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge

Day 5- Explore Talkeetna, drive to Denali, relax, maybe stay at Denali Lakeview Inn two nights or other Denali lodging.

Day 6- Shuttle to Fish Creek Denali

Day 7- Back to Anchorage for two nights, meeting up with other family, then cruise Southbound!

I've seen alot of what you are planning on doing. All so beautiful!

I'd be interested in the itinerary of your land trip. :)

One thing - if you don't already have your cruise booked - have you thought of doing your driving trip before the cruise? We did our land tour first and then cruised southbound and loved it cause after running around changing hotels every 1 - 2 nights and doing lots of driving, it was really nice to settle down and stay put in one place for 7 nights and just enjoy the cruise.

I originally booked a southbound on RCI, then changed to a northbound on Princess. While the land trip first would be more convenient, this particular ship has the itinerary I want only on the northbound route.

The drive from Anchorage to Seward is one of the most gorgeous we have ever seen.

We'll see 1/3 of it between Whittier and Anchorage. While nothing is definite, I don't think Seward is in the cards for this trip. Maybe our next trip to Alaska will be a southbound out of Seward, and then we can spend time on the Kenai Peninsula beforehand.

You will have a great time. Alaska is so beautiful and scenic. We also drove to Valdez although from Anchorage. Long trip but we hit really clear skies and the views of the Wrangell-St. Elias mountain range was awesome.

We'll go that route in reverse. After driving to Valdez along the Richardson, we'll drive back to Anchorage along the Glenn. The exception is if we decide to go to Seward - in which case we would take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier and drive to Seward.

Archived