Is it possible???

cruis'n sus'n

We have been to Alaska 3 times (2 extended driving/camping and 1 cruise plus 1 week of driving). At the risk of offending, in those 9 weeks the only two things that didn't bowl us over were Fairbanks and (further north) Cheena Hot Springs.

I would personally trade two days in Fairbanks for one anywhere else in Alaska that I've been. We had a good time on the riverboat/ gold panning/ etc. and I don't mean to imply it was terrible but just that it ranks much lower than other items that I see on your proposed list.

Just one person's opinion though.... have fun.

We'll be in Fairbanks 2 nights and 1 day. It's not that I have a burning desire to go there - but it's along the way. If the Denali Highway were paved, we would cut across to the Richardson after going to Denali. But then we'd miss the drive from Delta Junction to Paxson - which Frommer's Alaska says has "the most extraordinary scenery."

Was wondering which Princess ship had such a great northbound itinerary that it didn't have southbound? Hope you are on the Sapphire. I love that ship. Heard the Coral is also very good.

We drove from Anchorage to Valdez via the Glenn Hwy., then the Richardson Hwy. all in one day. Stopped at all the glaciers, Matanuska, Worthington and got to Valdez for dinner. Nice trip but long. Wanted to take the ferry from Valdez to Whittier but it wasn't available when I wanted to take it. We knew someone in Valdez who took us in his small fishing boat out to a remote glacier only small boats could get to and what a treat - it calved twice while we were sitting there watching it. He goes there alot and hasn't ever seen it calve so that was special. He also showed us how he has shrimp pots planted in the water and brought them up. Very interesting!

The drive back up Richardson Hwy and back to Anchorage again all in one day seemed even more scenic as it was very clear and we got to see the Wrangell-St. Elias Mountain Range. Truly very gorgeous! I personally didn't think the Glenn Hwy. is that picturesque.

Then after a couple of days visiting a friend in Anchorage, we left her and took off for the Kenai Peninsula and drove to Homer. That was our favorite but again we had great clear weather. The mountains across Kachemak Bay made it so beautiful. We took a kayaking trip so I tried that for the first time and I did o.k. My rear was sore after sitting in it for 2 hours, but it was a fun adventure. We stayed at the Land's End Resort at the end of Homer's Spit which we enjoyed. Could have spent alot more time on the Kenai Peninsula cause there was so much we didn't have time to do. Well, next time.....

The drive from Soldotna (on the Kenai Peninsula) to Seward is also very pretty. All the people standing and fishing in the Kenai river was something to see. It is very pretty where the Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge is also. We weren't staying there just stopped to look.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward. Great location. It was just barely opening so they were just getting started but it suit our needs. Now, the prices our higher. The little breakfast restaurant right across the street from the Holiday Inn was very good for a nice hot cooked breakfast also. You can see the ships at the dock from that area of Seward also. Our first trip to Alaska in 2001 we visited the Seward Sealife Center which was well worth it. Saw puffins, etc. that are not plentiful when you are just cruising out of the bay. Cruising out of Seward is very pretty.

Our first trip we went to Denali. I would like to know how the Denali Lakeview Inn is in Healy. I have a friend who goes there all the time and

loves it. Nothing in Fairbanks seemed to interest me enough to go there.

I would love to try one of those trips back into Denali that go all the way to the end of the road to Kantishna.

Well, till next time.............

Was wondering which Princess ship had such a great northbound itinerary that it didn't have southbound? Hope you are on the Sapphire. I love that ship. Heard the Coral is also very good.

The Pacific Princess will do Alaska cruises on Wednesdays in 2007. The northbound route goes to Ketchikan, Tracy Arm, Juneau (the same day as Tracy Arm), Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, and College Fjord. The southbound goes to College Fjord and Glacier Bay, as do all the other Princess one-ways. It was the 3 glaciers in one trip that gave the edge to the Pacific Princess, plus it is much smaller than most other ships that cruise to Alaska (~ 680 passengers).

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward. Great location. It was just barely opening so they were just getting started but it suit our needs. Now, the prices our higher. The little breakfast restaurant right across the street from the Holiday Inn was very good for a nice hot cooked breakfast also. You can see the ships at the dock from that area of Seward also. Our first trip to Alaska in 2001 we visited the Seward Sealife Center which was well worth it. Saw puffins, etc. that are not plentiful when you are just cruising out of the bay. Cruising out of Seward is very pretty.

I reserved two nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward - just in case! I made the reservation using Priority Club points - without them the room type I chose would've been $269/night.

Our first trip we went to Denali. I would like to know how the Denali Lakeview Inn is in Healy. I have a friend who goes there all the time and

loves it. Nothing in Fairbanks seemed to interest me enough to go there.

I would love to try one of those trips back into Denali that go all the way to the end of the road to Kantishna.

What did you think of Denali, and where did you stay? I have considered skipping Denali entirely - which would make the drive to Fairbanks unnecessary, but that almost sounds like sacrilege here! Hmmm...maybe we should do the small loop trip - and if our flight to Denali for the day trip gets cancelled - we just won't see it.

Thanks to all who have shared your experiences and helpful suggestions.:)

I have only been to Denali once and that was at the end of May, maybe 3rd week of May cause the cruise started on May 26 so before that. The road to the end in Denali wasn't totally open. We were disappointed with how dry the area was. They hadn't had much rain yet. Also, saw very few animals. From what I have learned since, unless I was going to be able to go all the way to Wonder Lake at the end where Kantishna is and the Kantishna Roadhouse and spend two nights there I wouldn't go.

To see animals go to the Wildlife Refuge which is off the highway between Anchorage and Whittier. It is not far from the Whittier cut-off. They have lots of animals native to Alaska there. They take in animals that need care and can't go back and live in the wild. When we were there last June there were twin baby moose there. So cute! Apparently, something had happened to their mama so they were rescued by the Wildlife Refuge.

Also, go to the top of Mt. Alyeska and watch the hang gliders go off. Really interesting and fantastic view when it is clear.

You will have to go to Alaska several times to see all you want to see.

Will be interested in your review of the Pacific Princess as it is an older ship. You will enjoy being on a smaller ship also, tho.

Will be interested in your review of the Pacific Princess as it is an older ship. You will enjoy being on a smaller ship also, tho.

This isn't THE Pacific Princess! This ship was built in 1999 for Renaissance Cruises and purchased by Princess when Renaissance went bankrupt - so not that old.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived