just eating the lido buffett or with room service

musicmansmom

this cruise i just feel like doing something different and not be committed to a specific time for eating and not taking all the extra fancier clothes for the dining room. i have loved going to formal night and eating my meals in the dinning room in the past and meeting my wonderful table mates, but i am just in the mood this time to totally veg-out and not be on a schedule of any kind.

are there others of you who have done so and been satisfied with your choice? this is a much needed cruise for an all out layed-back experience with no fuss . lounging, reading, listening to my cd music and just looking out at the water and enjoying the ports are my main objective.

please tell me i wont be the only one who will at the lido deck for my meals each night.

thanks for any opinions on your experience doing this.

Well, I can't say that I have ever done this ... but I am certain that some have. As long as that is your choice. My only concern would be the quality of the buffet food. Of course, you can still eat breakfast and lunch in the formal dining room (without dressing up) if the timing turns out right.

If you do decide to do this, let us know how it worked out!

I'm sure others have done the same thing. In fact, friends of my son took nothing but shorts and tees, and had all their meals from Lido Buffet or Pizza. They knew, as you, they wouldn't be going to the dining room in the evenings, even though my son enjoyed the dining room every evening. So - whatever you choose.

You can still enjoy breakfast and lunch in the dining room wearing shorts.

you are right about eating in the dining room for some of the earlier meals. i am going to give it a try and see how i like it. i have never been unhappy with the buffett line and pizza/burgers.

i will let everyone know how it went for me when i get back. doing something different is a good thing once in awhile and this way i will know if i like the freestyle dining for any upcoming cruises on other lines.

i am only 11 days from being on the ship. i cant wait.

thanks for the replies and your opinions :)

Do let the maitre'd for your assigned dining know what you are doing--he will love you for he will be able to use your unused seats for those who need to switch their dining assignments. He can also move table assignments around so your 'assigned' tablemates will not be left wondering who belongs to those empty chairs all cruise long.

On our cruise on the Miracle, my husband never ate in the dining room and thoroughly enjoyed himself just eating when he wanted. One night the rest of us ate at the buffet and we were surprised that the food was so good and certainly was not disappointed that we were not eating in the dining room. It sure freed up the time for the dinner hour eating at the buffet.

On the cruise with my sister last April, we grabbed our food one evening and went back to the cabin to relax and watch a movie. That was wonderful.

you are right about eating in the dining room for some of the earlier meals. i am going to give it a try and see how i like it. i have never been unhappy with the buffett line and pizza/burgers.

i will let everyone know how it went for me when i get back. doing something different is a good thing once in awhile and this way i will know if i like the freestyle dining for any upcoming cruises on other lines.

i am only 11 days from being on the ship. i cant wait.

thanks for the replies and your opinions :)

I have done this my last few cruises, and I love eating in the Lido, or alternative dining room so much, that I doubt I will ever go back to the main dining arrangements.

We dressed up on formal nights, just didn't eat in the dining room. Try it once, you might like it, you might not!

On one of our cruises our table mates only ate in the dinning room on one of the two formal nights.We occasionally skip meals in the dinning room if we don't see anything on the menu for dinner meal that we like.Any way you choose is the right way.

We took our resort casual for the regular nights in the dining room, but didn't bother with Formal night. We were quite happy with the Lido buffet for dinner that night. They had prime rib and offered to cook me a piece of salmon too. They also had jumbo shrimp on a stick which were delicious too. DH would be interested in trying a totally non-dressy cruise too.....think of how much less you would need to pack! Have fun on your cruise!

I tried the buffet once on a cruise. Since its a vacation i liked to be waited on since at home its me that does the waiting on. I had to get my food-- a table. my drinks. etc. (some ships dont have trays0

once was enough at the buffet for me for dinner.. the rest was always in the dining room.

Our 1st cruise we skipped dining room diners and formal nights and enjoyed every bit of food offered on the lido... This cruise coming up we are going to try the formal nights since I purchased 2 new dresses and he now has a suit :) It is really what you make of it.. enjoy either way :) I being the late bird I always ordered room service and loved the sandwiches... :)

You could also try the specialty restaurant, there are some nights that they are not very busy & might be able to walk right in without a reservation.

But isn't a jacket and tie required for the supper club? I thought it called for dressier clothing...:confused:

We did this once on a cruise and for the most part it was great. However, if I were thinking of doing it again I would bring at least one outfit proper for the dining room, that way you keep all your options open, just in case you change your mind. (a woman's prerogative);)

We were on the Fantasy in June and we only entered the dining room once, which was for the formal night. Every other meal we ate at Windows on the Sea (buffet) and the deli. It worked out well for us and we enjoyed the food. We did check the dining room menu each night to see if there was anything we wanted but each night we opted to use the buffet instead. It certainly gave us more time to relax and didn't keep us on a time schedule. I am guessing that we will do mostly the same next time we cruise as well.

I am glad that you asked about this. In the past we have had all dinners in the main dining room. On our next cruise we are contemplating skipping the dining room all together the entire week. We are such beach and lido deck people and hate having to rush to get ready for dinner. Tried late seating once as a possible remedy and absolutely hated it. So we are thinking of doing just what you are talking about. Will definitely make packing a lot easier. If you end up doing this please let us know how it goes.

Did this myself in Feb on the Legend.Can honestly say this was the most relaxing vacation i have ever had.Everyone thought i was being anti-social when i wanted to cruise alone,however i treated myself to an aft balcony cabin and ooohhh the freedom.I was able to gaze at the wake behind the ship or read a book whenever i wanted to.Eat or sleep without having to adhere to times,dining scedules etc.And I really got a kick out of being able to go into the shows at night without having to spend hours getting all gussied up.If i got lonesome for conversation there were always plenty of friendly people around.

Dont get me wrong,I have cruised many times,did the dining room,formal nights etc and generaly enjoy them but no matter what someone elses wishes/needs always have to be taken into consideration,anyway i have always enjoyed the food on lido deck/roomservice better than the dining room.

Go ahead and enjoy.I dont think you will regret it.In fact I have been having a pretty stressful time in work lately and i think i know what the cure might be!Aft balcony and room service,here I come!:D

On our first cruise we had a table for four, and never met the other twosome.

We were next to another fable for four, and they never showed up either.

I did learn, that even if noone ever shows up, they still set the table and clean it off. I felt sorry for the waiters having to clean off the tables, even though no one ever sat down.

Our next cruise was a table for eight, two showed up one night and two others almost every night, and the others....all no shows.

So, lots of people do not show up in the Dining room.

But isn't a jacket and tie required for the supper club? I thought it called for dressier clothing...:confused:

Much to my dismay no. My dh husband called & was told it was not necessary. He wore a pair of Kaiki pants & a button down Polo shirt & that is just about how everyone in there was dressed. We did not go on Formal night, I would think that a jacket & tie would be required on those nights but maybe not.

On our last cruise we ate 2 dinners in the main dining room and 3 at the lido deck buffet. I enjoyed the food at the lido deck better than the dining room. Plus there is no wait and you can wear what you want and sit where you want. Have fun.

One of the reasons I love to cruise (okay, a very small reason) is to be able to dress up for the two formal nights on a seven-day cruise. But with the darn weight restrictions that the airlines have these days . . . I'm gonna have to re-think taking two formal gowns (including shoes and purses). Is the added weight worth it? I'm not a size 2 who can take gowns that weigh several ounces. I'm a sixty-year old woman (well, I will be in January) who wears a size 16W. I'm taking a pretty big suitcase and a tote (both will be checked) . . . all my "heavy" things (make-up, hairspray, dryer and curling iron and all that other "stuff" that doesn't take up much room but weighs a lot) will be in the tote but I just know that my suitcase will be over weight. Ohhhhh, I miss being able to drive to the Port instead of flying there!!!!!

Archived