Problems with cabin safes?

Baseball Lover

Define "problem". :) I find them too small for my jewelry cases. They tend to be dark, so it can be easy to misplace something small in them.

Once the battery on mine died so I couldn't get into it. (The office sent someone down to get it open and fixed.)

I've never had anything missing from one.

No problems here either. Nor have I ever heard of anyone else having any problem except for the post you refer to. I remember that.

I don't think there is any reason to be concerned.

Never had any problems with HAL's safes, neither the combination nor the card swipe models (or even the old key-lock ones on Nieuw Amsterdam). Like Ruth said, they're not too big but they suffice and are a good location to keep your valuables (as opposed to under your mattress or in a super secret hiding place). I remember that thread very well. I would not hesitate to use them onboard!

We had problems with our safe on the Westerdam in May - "Operator Problems" If you key in the wrong code it automatically shuts down to prevent theft, so we had to call the front office and they confirmed that my husband had pushed a wrong sequence and inadvertently locked us out. I am very happy with that system.

We thought the one on Noordam roomy enough for our camera, wallets, multiple Rx bottles, soft-side jewelry case, passports, etc. Are all the cabin safes the same size? Perhaps the safes in the suites are larger than the ones in lower categories? We were in a VD, sort of a middling class of cabin.

The only time we've ever had a problem with a safe was at the Grosvenor House Hotel in London - a pretty high end property. We wound up putting everything into a safe deposit box in the hotel's front office. Talk about a pain in the ***, getting your stuff in & out every day. The in-room safe was just broken & they couldn't get it fixed the week we were there.

We had a cabin safe "lock-up" on us on one cruise. I called the Front Desk and a staff person came to the cabin within minutes with a special device and re-set the safe. It worked perfectly thereafter. That was the only proble we have ever had with a cabin safe.

We thought the one on Noordam roomy enough for our camera, wallets, multiple Rx bottles, soft-side jewelry case, passports, etc. Are all the cabin safes the same size? Perhaps the safes in the suites are larger than the ones in lower categories? We were in a VD, sort of a middling class of cabin.

At one time they were not the same size but it had nothing to do with type of cabin. The safes on the Statendam were smaller than those on all the other ships. I don't know if they have been replaced or not.

The safes on the Statendam are definitely smaller than those of the other S class ships. In the suites they are in the cabinet below the TV and set way back in - very hard to get in and out of. They also use the old key cards - you have to insert the key card and turn the handle. Don't like them.

The safes on the Statendam are definitely smaller than those of the other S class ships. In the suites they are in the cabinet below the TV and set way back in - very hard to get in and out of. They also use the old key cards - you have to insert the key card and turn the handle. Don't like them.

How right you are ! They are horrible.

I've only used the ones with the combination ... and since I use the same four digit number for everything (it has a personal meaning to me) and am unlikely to ever forget it ... I've had no problems at all with the safes on any ship.

However, they are pretty small and you're not going to get a whole lot in them. But then I don't try to put a lot in them ... just my wallet, passport ... those sorts of things. I find that leaving my laptap and camera on the desk in the cabin has presented no problems at all. Maybe I'm being nieve and perhaps a bit too trusting ... but I've never had a problem leaving those things out anywhere ... even in hotels. Of course, my laptop is pretty old ... it doesn't even have a wireless card. I just use it for writing while onboard. My camera, too, is a cheapy model. So maybe those particular items just don't appeal to thieves? Perhaps they want the "better" stuff and just leave my junk alone? :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I always use the in-cabin safe. Never had any problem with them. The only issue I have, as others have noted, is that they're very inconvenient most of the time. I'm tall, so I feel in some cases like I have to stand on my head to see in to punch the combination. But they're handy to have to stow unneeded cash and other valuables.

I always use the in-cabin safe. Never had any problem with them. The only issue I have, as others have noted, is that they're very inconvenient most of the time. I'm tall, so I feel in some cases like I have to stand on my head to see in to punch the combination. But they're handy to have to stow unneeded cash and other valuables.

Jim, you can start a whole new exercise program in the morning!:D

here is an exerpt of a trip report i wrote regarding a similar safe incident while at lake como italy

as you may be aware many hotels have in room safes where you program in your own code number. don’t ask me how but somehow I changed the program with the passports credit cards tickets etc etc still locked in the safe. I called the desk, explained the situation and was told that someone would be up in a minute.

lady from the desk comes up with a number on a post it note, figured that it was the master code for my safe. she tried it and it did not work. she told me that she would go back to the front desk and find out what was wrong. after she left the room I made note of the code number. she calls me from the desk and gives me another number. told her I would try it and call back—it worked,. much to my pleasure. called her to say thanks and she asked me not to tell anyone that she had given me the numbers. so I ask all of you to keep this to yourself and the bottom line is that I now have the master code numbers for ALL the room safes on the first and third floors. we are thinking of going back to this hotel in july when all the rich people vacation at the lake does anyone want to travel with us to como in july. lol to be honest with you, the story is true but I destroyed the numbers, so quit bothering me.

Never had an issue getting into the safes on HAL ships.

Now the safe on Mercury? Worthless. The 3 of us couldn't get the thing open to save our lives. Of course, the steward could get in easily when we asked him for help - then of course we'd try it again ourselves and couldn't get in. Hardly the point of using the safe, is it?!? :cool:

Never had a problem with the ship's safes..I may be mistaken but seem to remember either the Prinsendam in April (or it could have been the Crown last Nov.) required a credit card, rather than a combination...Now that's a bother to have to carry our card around all the time...

Agree with Ruth, they are dark...My jewelry case & DH's wallet are both dark...Have to check very carefully at the end of the cruise to be sure nothing is left in it..

Lou..That is a very funny story..:D

Happy cruising all..:) Betty

Never had a problem with the ship's safes..I may be mistaken but seem to remember either the Prinsendam in April (or it could have been the Crown last Nov.) required a credit card, rather than a combination...Now that's a bother to have to carry our card around all the time...

Agree with Ruth, they are dark...My jewelry case & DH's wallet are both dark...Have to check very carefully at the end of the cruise to be sure nothing is left in it..

Lou..That is a very funny story..:D

Happy cruising all..:) Betty

Hi Betty, as of two weeks ago Prinsendam's staterooms had the combo safes!:)

john

Lou..That is a very funny story..>>>

thanks -- truth is funnier then fiction

was out last nite with the k-9s --- had a gang incident- another officer had drawn on 2 gang members and they really werent complying -- dog came around the corner and the whole situation did a 360. dog was then sent into the nearby field and got a gun and knife that was dropped during the short pursuit -----------came home and had a real heart to heart with my lab molly

john

Lou..That is a very funny story..>>>

thanks -- truth is funnier then fiction

was out last nite with the k-9s --- had a gang incident- another officer had drawn on 2 gang members and they really werent complying -- dog came around the corner and the whole situation did a 360. dog was then sent into the nearby field and got a gun and knife that was dropped during the short pursuit -----------came home and had a real heart to heart with my lab molly

Those dogs are worth their weight in gold Lougee! Best partner I've ever had for five years!:) Take care and be safe!

Shoot me an e-mail when you have a chance: jmprins@sbcglobal.net

Right now, Fox News is doing a special report on Canine Police and how L.A. Police are breeding their own dogs to be sure they have enough. The report said there is a shortage of good police dogs since 9-11 and there is a large demand for them.

Stay Safe Lou and John.

Right now, Fox News is doing a special report on Canine Police and how L.A. Police are breeding their own dogs to be sure they have enough. The report said there is a shortage of good police dogs since 9-11 and there is a large demand for them.

Stay Safe Lou and John.

Thank you Ma'am!:)

I had problems on Carnival with a safe. Was on the Conquest in May. One week after my husband and I arrived home, we discovered someone had swiped our credit card info. The cards were not physically stolen, but the infomation from the magnetic code was. With in 2 days there were over $5000 on the two cards and all charges were made in Turkey.

Thought maybe that it had been stolen here at home, but the two cards had different numbers. The only time that my card and my hubby cards were together were in the safe. Could never confirm that is were the info was stolen.

Did some research and found out that you can purchase a small magnetic reader on the internet for around $300. This device can hold hundreds of credit cards. It is handheld and can be tucked into a pocket.

So please be aware of your credit cards. Thought maybe next time I will put them in a sealed envelope in the safe. Then I would know for sure if someone has taken a look at my cards.

Archived