Alaska Wet Travels and Washout

WFF

Last year on our repo cruise on the Golden from San Juan to NYC we hit a major storm off the cost of North Carolina. It got so bad that the captain said we had to divert to get out of the storm, which meant we were going to have an extra sea day! Luckly for DH and myself that we always take the day after our vacation off. Which meant that air lines would have to be called, other travel arrangements made, etc. Princess had free phone and internet service all that day and the next day for people to make other arrangements and to notify family. I'm sure a lot of people lost a day's income as we arrived home on a Monday instead of Sunday. But, the weather was out of their hands and they did what they could to make evryone comfortable. After some hours of very bad seas (we were told to stay in our cabins) the seas started to calm after being diverted. Guess what............we had an extra sea day!! Got to the point that we were have so much fun, not body wanted to get off!! I guess the point is how can you possibly hold a cruise line responsible for the weather????

OK, thanks for clearly (& calmly) explaining that.

Is this the time to bring up global warming? :rolleyes:

NO!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Princess isn't responsible for that or the rain... if ya don't wanna get wet don't go to Alaska.... I'm glad someone from the "great land" posted so that those of you who have been poo-ing Princess's response hopefully now see that these conditions are NOT NOT the norm.

I was on the last train that made it through before they closed the train

and the highway was closed. We left Denali at 1pm and were supposed

to be in Talkeenta at 4:40 and reach our final destination at 8:15. We

arrived in Talkeetna at 9:30pm. We had to stop several times so the

crew could inspect the bridges before we crossed them. We also had

some mudslides 100 feet long - two to three feet high. A crew had to

come from Talkeetna to clean it up before we could proceed. Needless

to say I was glad when we were off the train - we had the river raging

and water was up to either side of the track. We also couldn't see

anything because of the rain and fog. None of these were Princess's fault

and I do not blame them. As for a credit for a train that you did not take,

I can understand the frustration, ( I also did not get the chamber of commerce train ride that looks beautiful in the ads) But they got you

there and it costs money for the plane. I would say they treated you

fairly.

I was one of approximately 150 passengers that were stranded because of the weather. The ship was delayed for all of us not just me.

Nevertheless, Princess was responsible for our transportation to the ship irrespective of cost to them and they failed their responsibility.

:confused: What ??? Princess did not transport you to the ship ??? Strange....seeing that you got on it anyways.....This would mean Princess did NOT '' fail its responsability'' as you state.

Do you have suggestions on how Princess should have transported you to the ship, given that Mother Nature and Her Boss cut off all land transport methods ???

Just curious....

Cheers

CG

;)

I am not complaining about the weather. All those who responded about Alaska weather should understand we came prepared with rain gear, etc. It rained for 8 of the 11 days in Alaska and I still enjoyed the scenery, the cruise on the Sapphire Princess, the service on the ship and my cabin.

I love crusing and have been on many before this trip and hopefully many in the future.

About 400 Princess Tour participants were affected by the road /rail closure that Saturday. Most were transported successfully and timely to the ship. About 100 - 150 of us were not transported timely to the ship. While the majority got to enjoy their afternoon and evening aboard ship we sat in a Princess Hotel public room, sleeping on the floor, resting with our head on a table, pacing without knowing when and if we would get going for 17 hours.

So to all the cruise lovers, please count me in. I still think we deserve more than a token $50 for our discomfort and loss of time aboard ship.

I am not complaining about the weather. All those who responded about Alaska weather should understand we came prepared with rain gear, etc. It rained for 8 of the 11 days in Alaska and I still enjoyed the scenery, the cruise on the Sapphire Princess, the service on the ship and my cabin.

I love crusing and have been on many before this trip and hopefully many in the future

About 400 Princess Tour participants were affected by the road /rail closure that Saturday. Most were transported successfully and timely to the ship. About 100 - 150 of us were not transported timely to the ship. While the majority got to enjoy their afternoon and evening aboard ship we sat in a Princess Hotel public room, sleeping on the floor, resting with our head on a table, pacing without knowing when and if we would get going for 17 hours.

So to all the cruise lovers, please count me in. I still think we deserve more than a token $50 for our discomfort and loss of time aboard ship.

Our family of 6 was stranded with you as well. I am totally surprised by the hostility of the email responses. One person even had the nerve to say we really didn't miss any of the cruise - if that's the case, how come I got charged gratuity for 6 people for 8/19 (posted at 11 pm) when we didn't even board the ship until 8/20? :eek: That's adding insult to injury. No one here is asking for a full refund - but we paid for 7 days of cruising, not 6. We are not blaming the weather - no one here is blaming Princess, and to suggest that is ridiculous.

For fellow posters: I guess the old adage is true - "Walk a mile in my shoes." Until you've done that, hold the condemnation, please.:)

Don't forget, cruise lines have insurance for these kinds of situations. They are not losing as much money as we think - especially since we were told all day "we are totally prepared for situations like this - we have contingency plans." ;)

Our family of 6 was stranded with you as well. I am totally surprised by the hostility of the email responses. One person even had the nerve to say we really didn't miss any of the cruise - if that's the case, how come I got charged gratuity for 6 people for 8/19 (posted at 11 pm) when we didn't even board the ship until 8/20? :eek: That's adding insult to injury. No one here is asking for a full refund - but we paid for 7 days of cruising, not 6. We are not blaming the weather - no one here is blaming Princess, and to suggest that is ridiculous.
I agree completely that if you didn't board until the next day, then your cruise price should have been pro-rated. When you went to the Pursar's Desk, what did they say?

No one here is asking for a full refund - but we paid for 7 days of cruising, not 6. We are not blaming the weather - no one here is blaming Princess, and to suggest that is ridiculous.

Technically - they gave you an extra day of land vacation (in which they didn't charge you extra for) so it is probably even. I really think given the circumstance - they did the best they could. I know some people who had RCCL cruise tours and they didn't have a good experience either.

I know Alaska can be miserable with rain. My first Alaskan cruise poured the entire cruise and it was a miserable cruise. I remember taking the White Pass train ride in Skagway and we could not see out the windows and when cruising - it was constant gray in many areas. We ended up skipping the glacier because of the weather. I am sorry you had to experience it but it is not the cruise line's fault.

Don't forget, cruise lines have insurance for these kinds of situations. They are not losing as much money as we think - especially since we were told all day "we are totally prepared for situations like this - we have contingency plans." ;)
Do they have insurance for situations like this? Many large companies are self-insured. And just where does insurance money come from? (That's rhetorical, no answer needed)

You can complain all you like, but you aren't going to win much support. You were inconvenienced and disappointed, yet others who had to deal with all of you were no doubt inconvenienced even more and put in very long hours trying to get you to the ship. I'm sympathetic to your situation, but not to your reaction.

Adversity reveals character. What is on display, I find disheartening, when it comes to complaining about tips for missing a few hours of a cruise.

I was on the last train that made it through before they closed the train

and the highway was closed. We left Denali at 1pm and were supposed

to be in Talkeenta at 4:40 and reach our final destination at 8:15. We

arrived in Talkeetna at 9:30pm. We had to stop several times so the

crew could inspect the bridges before we crossed them. We also had

some mudslides 100 feet long - two to three feet high. A crew had to

come from Talkeetna to clean it up before we could proceed. Needless

to say I was glad when we were off the train - we had the river raging

and water was up to either side of the track. We also couldn't see

anything because of the rain and fog. None of these were Princess's fault

and I do not blame them. As for a credit for a train that you did not take,

I can understand the frustration, ( I also did not get the chamber of commerce train ride that looks beautiful in the ads) But they got you

there and it costs money for the plane. I would say they treated you

fairly.

oh my goodness.. what an experience. you managed to get where you were going, with your luggage with you but boy, that must have been crazy frightening..

ya know.. I never thought I wanted to go to alaska. then I read a couple reviews recently, and saw some pictures, watched the princess dvd and changed my mind, suddenly, alaska was where I wanted to go *most* (I hate hot, I don't do salt water or sand.. I dont know why it took me so long to come to that conclusion!).

this thread.. and the lost luggage nightmare ones on the HAL board almost made me change my mind again until I realized that all these problems happened because people *got off the boat*! (ship! I know the difference, it's just not as dramatic in that statment!) so... I just won't do that. :)

anno

Do they have insurance for situations like this? Many large companies are self-insured. And just where does insurance money come from? (That's rhetorical, no answer needed)

You can complain all you like, but you aren't going to win much support. You were inconvenienced and disappointed, yet others who had to deal with all of you were no doubt inconvenienced even more and put in very long hours trying to get you to the ship. I'm sympathetic to your situation, but not to your reaction.

Adversity reveals character. What is on display, I find disheartening, when it comes to complaining about tips for missing a few hours of a cruise.

I find this kind of response inane. The writer appears more concerned for the workers who put in long hours and were getting paid than for the customer who paid $60 in tips when he wasn't even on the ship.

Are you employed by Princess? (That's rhetorical, no answer needed)

Reading these posts make me think back on my camping trip in August 96 in alaska- one month- mostly camping with a B&B/motel thrown in when I couldn't stand the rain anymore- However- when the sun was shining- it was glorious.......... and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Granted , on a cruise, your looking for a lot better than camping, and when you spend a lot on vacation you want the weather to be good ( even if you don"t s[end a lot, you hope for good weather!) ....... but there are no grantees and you need to try to make the best of it and not let it totally ruin your experience.

I find this kind of response inane. The writer appears more concerned for the workers who put in long hours and were getting paid than for the customer who paid $60 in tips when he wasn't even on the ship.

Are you employed by Princess? (That's rhetorical, no answer needed)

And this is a snarky post (That's rhetorical-no answer needed)

To the OP, I have a bit of advice in case it happens again....go to the Purser's desk and have the tips removed for the night you were not on the ship. No problem!

hurrah once again for the "Cheerleaders". /Sultan
I did go overboard. My apologies for being too harsh. When you work in a service industry, it really bites to do your utmost in a difficult situation and hear complaints from people who are a little too wrapped up in their own disappointment to appreciate the efforts being made on their behalf.

Most of the people you meet on board, and on land, work hard to make you happy. Cut them some slack, and tell them you appreciate the job they do. It encourages them to continue.

Maybe it's complaints like these that result in so many reports about sullen and grumpy staff. Just food for thought.

Sorry to hear you were so disappointed about your time on the Island Princess. I have been on 3 Princess ships and have enjoyed all 3. I think you were expecting more then what you got. I'm am so surprised that you had such a poor cabin steward, I would have definitely taken care of him also! But, believe me they are not all like him. Princess has the best shows and my beautiful ships and I've been on 4 different cruise lines myself. Go on the Caribbean Princess, you'll love it! :)

Nice response thank you -- especially when I was expecting MY response to be flagged! I like a give and take. Otherwise, we all get too serious. BTW, our "overall" opinion of Princess is probably more favorable than those of the cheerleaders (except for Princess Passenger Services). We have 4 booked upcoming cruises -- all on Princess. /Sultan

I did go overboard. My apologies for being too harsh. When you work in a service industry, it really bites to do your utmost in a difficult situation and hear complaints from people who are a little too wrapped up in their own disappointment to appreciate the efforts being made on their behalf.

Most of the people you meet on board, and on land, work hard to make you happy. Cut them some slack, and tell them you appreciate the job they do. It encourages them to continue.

Maybe it's complaints like these that result in so many reports about sullen and grumpy staff. Just food for thought.

Haaaa haaa you're all killing me here!!! :)

Imagine that... 6 posts and I already have the lingo down!;)

You see the proof is in the pudding... cheerleaders do exist. You are so determined to deny the existance that you neglected to clearly read what I said to the poster, which was..........

I'm sorry for your loss, but Princess has come across more than they probably had to.And then to turn the post into a positive, I asked if she had a great cruise, I bet that she did......

You people should read a little more carefully, be less defensive, and be more helpful and empathetic to the newbies.

anyone else wanna take a shot????????:)

Yeah, I'll take one.

I think all of us read your entire post, but the positive portion of it was overshadowed by the sarcastic comments made in the beginning of the post.

I would think that the aforementioned newbies would be a little less sarcastic and not begin their posting history here on the boards by stirring up trouble and actually take advantage of what the board is really here for.

And FYI, telling new cruisers the truth, whether it be what they want to hear or not, IS being helpful. There are many experienced cruisers on these boards and combined have probably experienced every possible scenario of cruising, good and bad. Advising new cruisers of the possible disappointments is much more helpful then jumping on their bandwagon and blaming the cruise line for things that are not in their control.

Yeah, I'll take one.

I would think that the aforementioned newbies would be a little less sarcastic and not begin their posting history here on the boards by stirring up trouble and actually take advantage of what the board is really here for.

And FYI, telling new cruisers the truth, whether it be what they want to hear or not, IS being helpful. There are many experienced cruisers on these boards and combined have probably experienced every possible scenario of cruising, good and bad. Advising new cruisers of the possible disappointments is much more helpful then jumping on their bandwagon and blaming the cruise line for things that are not in their control.

points well taken, I'll remember that, thanxs for the advice.

Yeah, I'll take one.

I think all of us read your entire post, but the positive portion of it was overshadowed by the sarcastic comments made in the beginning of the post.

Nicely stated. :)

CUT IT OUT ALREADY!!:mad: Geez.. you guys must have gotten "A's" in "name calling" in school ...and FYI, folks.. I have worked for CC as a host/moderator for nearly 10 years and there are what you refer to as "cheerleaders" on every board... and there is nothing wrong with that.. we have an "ignore" feature and you aren't obligated to read a thing that doesn't interest you..

... ssoooo in the interest of keeping this thread HERE instead of CC's "neverland" can you pleeez pleez refrain from off handed sarcasm etc. etc. etc. etc.

::: IF IF I have to come up there and say this again.......:::eek: :eek:

There are some things that can be controlled, like bad cabin stewards, and some things that can't, like the weather. I think Knolmom has a far more serious complaint about the response from the cabin steward (it takes just a minute to re-do the beds).

If I wanted twin beds and the cabin steward would not make them up that way, I would separate the beds myself, remove all the double sheets etc and put them in the corridor, then insist he put single sheets on the beds. "I have put the beds the way we want them. Now please put the sheets on them."

Why put up with beds configured as you do not want them? And for the entire cruise too? Assertive action, folks!

Archived