Advice for the Caribbean

robbinsca

The last of the kids is graduating from college in December 2007 and we are looking to take them all on a cruise to celebrate Mom and Dad not needing to pay tuition anymore. That and the fact that they will all be out of the house and on their own.

Which itineraries would be best for a bunch of 20 somethings? Mom and Dad have only been once and loved our Alaska cruise on Celebrity, but want to do something geared more toward their age group interests.

Background:

27 Year Old son (by then) and his wife. He is very in to sports (golf is the big thing now) she is a "girly girl" who loves shopping. They both do a moderate amount of partying, but are more the wine and cheese type.

24 Year old daughter- a bit on the sporty side, but not as much as her brother. Likes to lay out by the pool in short stretches, but would be burned to a crisp by spending a whole day at a beach. More of a partier, but more beer than the wine and cheese crowd.

21 Year old daughter- sweating for any reason is just not her thing, no liquor allowed (her choice-and I can't disagree- she's my baby) but she would go to a bar if she wouldn't get pushed to drink and she would enjoy the dancing... A REAL straight arrow. Loves people and talking and being out in the sun.

Looking for 6-8 days on a ship that skews to a younger crowd, but not willing to go so far as going on a Carnival party boat.

Cruise Critic helped me tremendously with Alaska, would appreciate your input here as well.

Rick

I would say the Caribbean Princess too but since you live in CA, maybe the Mexican Riveria out of San Francisco or LA. Cruising to Hawaii would be a good choice too. We have several friends that have taken their adult kids to Mexico and loved it. Princess has a 7 day and a 10 day and usually very discounted.

I love the Southern Caribbean route the best. I think the 20 somethings in your family would enjoy the snorkeling & beaches this route has to offer. The new Crown Princess will be doing the Southern route beginning late Fall through early Spring of next year. I would take a look at it. The Crown will do 2 different itineraries that go to 5 islands. Great to explore or stay on board and enjoy a less crowded ship.

Dw and I did just this thing last Jan. DD just graduated from ISU in Dec. DS 26 and DD 21 were made to share an inside cabin ( worked for the most part) DW and I were across the hall in a bal. We were on the Star pre-fire on the western Carb. Both kids had a great time and want us to spring for another cruise with them as invited guests. Each were responsible for their own on ship tabs, and this worked well, although we did pay for excusions. DD does not drink but found a non-alcoho drink she ordered when DD & DS went to disco or other late night activities. DS even found a short term cruise romance. There were quite a few same age kids which they found in a relativly short time.

DW and I feel this is probably the best $5000+ we have ever spent, and truly enjoyed the quality time we were allowed to spend with our now adult children.

1 thing to remember though they were and are still siblings so every moment wasn't a bed of roses. When we first got to cabins their bed was made into a Queen, You should have seen their faces and heard the screams.LOLl

Appreciate the feedback, and would appreciate even more from those of you willing to share.

The kids did decide they would prefer the Caribbean trip to going down the Mexican Riviera. Wife, Son and Daughter in Law have all been on the short cruise down the coast from here, so Caribbean was the choice.

Bohunk----great stories. I could absolutely see this type of situation happening.

We have taken our 3 20 year olds all over Carribean. Cozumel is probably their favorite port. Lots of shopping, lots of partying, good snorkelling etc.

Since you are in CA, i'd fly to houston and go out of Galveston. We did the Galveston trip on RC 2 years ago and had a great time. Went to Grand Cayman, Cozumel and one other. Cayman has a wonderful side trip with the sting rays. if you've never done it, it's someting you need to do at least once. and you don't have to be a swimmer to do it. Carnival also sails out of Galveston.

good luck

I just got on the Crown's 8/16 Western Caribbean sailing and I had an amazing time. I'm 22 and went with my BF who is 26. I am a mix between your middle daughter and your daughter in law - love wine & cheese, but will not turn down a Corona or a well made Tom Collins.

The atmosphere on board is very nice, and us and another young couple like us that we met went to Skywalkers a few nights and had a great time dancing and meeting other people. There is lots to do onboard on sea days, and I never felt bored or out of place.

For your son, I know there is an impressive golf simulator all the way aft insde from where the mini golf is. We stopped in there to get clubs for minigold and we met one of the instructors, who is a golf pro from Australia, and watched a bit while her colleague trained a client. I'm not sure if there is a price, but I know that reservations were required and one of the guys whose lesson just finished told us how great it is.

I'll be graduating next year as well, now if only BF or dear parents could take me on another cruise to celebrate!:D

Archived