Cruise Critic Waterproof Beach Safe

fitty

Does anyone know if the waterproof beach safe sold by cruise critic holds a passport? It looks like it will hold credit cards ect but I am not sure if it is big enough for a passport. Thank you for your help.:p

Does anyone know if the waterproof beach safe sold by cruise critic holds a passport? It looks like it will hold credit cards ect but I am not sure if it is big enough for a passport. Thank you for your help.:p

Whether it will hold a passport is a moot point IMO. It is NOT waterproof, and the o-ring that is supposed to make it waterproof comes out every time you open it. I have two. One is totally useless, as the o-ring came out and has been lost; the other one leaks like a seive, but I put the o-ring back in each time I open it. That at least allows it to stay closed. It is only useful for carrying things in an amusement park where the most water around might be on a water ride.:eek:

Dan

If you are looking for a waterproof case, go to your local scuba diving store. Most stores have plenty of cases or bags in various sizes that will keep all of your valuables dry while swimming or on the beach. If you can't find a local dive store, the internet has plenty of dive eqipment web pages. One example is Trident dive equipment:

http://www.tridentdive.com

I had two from CC and both leaked. I posted a thread about an oring I used with very good results. Just back from Tahiti and no leaks. The Princess store has a similar model for only $3.95. The clerk suggested Vasoline. The o-ring I used stayed in the groove and didn't need grease. It holds room cards and credit cards okay, but not a passport. If you're brave you can travel with just a copy of your passport and fold it to fit the safe. I didn't take it deeper than 15 feet. You might check with a dive shop if you're going to dive or even think you might be. Also check the snorkel/swimming forum.

This is probably a stupid question, but wouldn't a small ziplock freezer bag work to keep cards, passports, cash, etc. dry while swimming or snorkeling?

I've always left my valuables on the boat, trusting the excursion group, as vabeachcruisers suggested.

This is probably a stupid question, but wouldn't a small ziplock freezer bag work to keep cards, passports, cash, etc. dry while swimming or snorkeling?

It should but one does take a chance using them. A disadvantage is that you then need a pocket or some other mechanism for securing the bag. The bags are not heavy duty and brushing one against a sharp edge is likely going to compromise its integrity.

My personal preference was for http://www.aquapaccanada.ca/beltpac.htm because

a) it could hold passports, a cell phone, cards, and cash,

b) it was not clear, so no one could see what I was carrying,

c) it was rated to 30 feet, far below any depth I would get to, and

d) it came with both a belt and neck cord.

This company makes a load of different waterproof containers. Their international site is http://www.aquapac.net/dotinfo/erol.html#home.

Don't forget to put a desiccant like Silica Gel in the container when you use it. If you don't condensation might damage your documents and electronics.

I respect the technology... I'm just wondering if its even necessary. I have never heard of someone loosing all their stuff on an excursion. Has this happened recently on a respected tour? I could see the benefit on a beach you could dig a hole and hide you treasure as long as you are not obvious about it :o

Archived