Where to stay in Galveston-Pre-Cruise?

cruzincajun2

I am traveling 2/18/06 Carnival Cruise from Galveston to Western Carribean. Where is the best hotel to stay at for the most reasonable price?

There are two other forums for this information - the Pre and post cruise hotel forum and the Gulf Port forum - you will find all the Galveston info there.

Best for most reasonable, what is best? What is reasonable? It sure can vary from person to person, go check the other forums, this post will get moved there when the hosts find it...

I am traveling 2/18/06 Carnival Cruise from Galveston to Western Carribean. Where is the best hotel to stay at for the most reasonable price?

You might want to change your sail date too. If you are going 2/18/06......I think you missed your ship. ;)

Welcome to CruiseCritic. :D

CruisinCajun... We are sailing the week before you. We booked a room at the Galvez. Its pricey, but if you go on wyndham.com and book it through there, it was cheaper. I guess we felt it was a deal because we could park there the whole week for free and they have shuttles that will take you to the terminal and pick you up.

I'm cruising on the Conquest with CruisinRnG on the 4th of Feb. I thought we were crazy booking the Tremont 8 months out, but they are booked solid as of last month (7 months out). Ours was only one night minimum, but during special occasions like Mardi Gras, some hotels require two night minimum.

I know this is your first post, and some will tell you to search and look.

The nice thing about Galveston Island is that it is very small and you can find a variety of places to stay.

As you enter the island, you can find Motel 6, Days Inn, and a wide variety of Hotels. When you on the bech you can find the big and pricey places.

We spent the night at Motel 6 for about $45 a night, and then parked at EZ-Cruise parking. If you reserve your parking online you save a few bucks. And, it really is EZ to use and plenty of shuttles.

Have a great time...and don't be afraid to post other questions on CC. But, do take time to read other posts as here are literally hundreds dealing with the Conquest and Galveston.

JB

reasonably price on the beach, a decent hotel and free cruise paring, go with the Best Western. Certainly not a great hotel, but comfortable and clean for a beach hotel. We are treating ourselves to Moody Gardens Resort this time.

Welcome to CC and have a great cruise

Just a little FYI -- ask your hotel if they have parking while you are away on your cruise and verify the rate. Some hotels that used to let you keep your car in their lot while you cruise are now charging as much as EZ cruise parking. We used to justify spending a little more on the room so that we could leave the car. We usually stay at the Harbour House or the Galvez. The Harbour House is close enough for DH to drop me at the pier, drive the car back to the hotel, and walk to the pier. Galvez let us leave our car in the parking garage and offered a shuttle.

The cruiselines and hotels are also at odds over shuttles to the ships. Apparently the crusielines don't want the hotels offering free shuttles --instead they want us to pay for the transfers through the cruiselines.

We sailing on the Grand Princess in January. I booked through Harbour House without asking about the parking this time. Our friends were told that the charge for parking at Harbour House is $10 per day--guess I better call to verify and budget accordingly.

Is there a inexpensive nice but not fancy hotel close to the beach in Galveston? We won't have a car.

Try Gaido's Seaside Inn. It's on the seawall and they have two excellent restaurants adjacent to the motel, Gaido's (generally considered the best seafood on the Island but somewhat pricey) and Casey's (less expensive). The taxi ride to the dock should be quick and not expensive.

Here is the Harbour House update--right now the going rate is $135 per night. Last year I found a great deal on travelocity but it isn't out there right now. Parking is $10 per night you stay at Harbour House and $20 for the week you are on your cruise. It is close enough to walk to the pier (for some people anyway and I wouldn't want to haul my luggage). DH drops me and walks back. So, for $30 parking we get to stay right by the pier, watch our ship come in the morning of our cruise, walk to the Strand and plenty of eateries. Hope this helps.

Since I live in the area, I thought I would jump in and answer your inquiry.

"Walking to the Strand" involves a short one-two block trip south from the cruise terminal and Harbour House. The Strand is a street filled with historic commercial buildings which have been restored and turned into shops and restaurants. There are lots of choices in the area both directly on the Strand and on the adjoining Post Office and Harborside

streets.

Go to Galveston.com and click on "What to do" and then on "cuisine". Enter "all types" and "downtown" and the restaurants in that area will all come up. We like Luigi's for Italian, Rudy and Paco's, and Fisherman's Wharf. Also be aware that Galveston is a very small island and that any of the areas - including the seawall - are a short taxi ride away from the cruise terminal area.

Any other questions?

Hi,

Is Gaido's still as good as I remember? I have fond memories of going too Galveston on family vacations and the great seafood at Gaido's. Somebody also mentioned Casey's. I think that's owned by the same folks, is next door to Gaido's, and less pricey. What do you think?

Thanks!

Yes, Gaido's is still very good. You heard correctly, Casey's is next door and has similar food for less - but then the atmosphere is less too. You won't go wrong with Gaido's. Another of our favorites for seafood is Fish Tales. It's also on the seawall a few blocks east. Get a table on the upper level deck and the Gulf water looks pretty good. (Someone mentioned that the beaches/water in Galveston are less than terrific and that's true. The outflow from the Mighty Mississippi curves our way when it hits the Gulf and our sand is very fine and beige. Makes for great fishing but somewhat less than clear water - except for a few days each year when "the planets line up" and we get to enjoy clear blue water.) We love Galveston anyway!

We were there August 19 and stayed at the Baymont Inn.

It was very nice and reasonable. Including tax it was $87.34 for a double queen room.

The whole building is non-smoking and it just opened in August so everything is nice and new and clean.

They have double queens or double kings. The bedding and beds are comfortable. There is also a fridge and microwave. They have a continental breakfast with waffles in the shape of the state of Texas that you bake yourself.

It was an easy walk to the beach, which was right across the street.

We would definitely stay there again.

http://www.baymontinns.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ4606&propId=4606

Archived