Next cruise Baltic, Greek Island or Med again?

ijkh

Oh to have such problems eh? Well we just finished our fabulous trip from Barcelona to Venice. We got the onboard booking thing going because all I want for my 50th birthday next year is to go to Europe again. I prefer to use Princess because I love the minisuite and we have the credit already. The problem for use is the time of year. My best friend and husband need to go when school is out because she is a teacher. The other requirement is to be home over the fourth of July. We want warm weather. I think the Baltic does have some warm weather too right? Any experienced cruisers want to give some imput into this not so troubling decision. I love problems like this!

P.s. We want to decide soon so we can book our frequent flyer tickets for next year soon. thanks

Just back from the Baltic several weeks ago on the Grand. We had a wonderful time, however, as I have mentioned on the Baltic board, I think the Grand is too large to do Europe. The Star is taking over this itinerary next year, so still a big one for thsee ports. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the huge ships, just not in Europe. I would definately study the itineraries, and see which ships have better port locations, because this was an issue for us. The NCL ship was actually docked in Stockholm, while we were 1 hour away. Not sure if Celebrity or RCCL have better arrangements or not, but for this particular itinerary, if I were doing it again, I would do more homework prior to booking. I'm in the same boat as you, I booked a future cruise while on the Grand. Only problem is, I already have the Caribbean Princess booked for November and if I go to Europe next year, it probably won't be on Princess for the above mentioned reasons. I know the bookings are good for 4 years, so that's not a problem. Not really sure what I'll do - maybe Tahiti, because I'm sure it will be Princess for that one.

PS - I guess I never did address your question concerning the weather. We were on the 6/8 sailing and had cold, rain, and lots of wind, with the exception of St Petersburg, which was beautiful. Inside the museums,(in Russia) which are not air conditioned, it was very comfortable. I understand that later on in July and August, when it is dryer outside, it becomes very hot and muggy inside because of the lack of air conditioning. So, in my case, I would rather have had the rain than experience the heat in SP. Just my take on it.

I think the Baltic does have some warm weather too right? Any experienced cruisers want to give some imput into this not so troubling decision. I love problems like this!

IMO, give the 9/12 Baltic on the Star a go. Sounds odd, but I think you'll like it. Autumn comes early in the north.

Pat

Did Baltic june-july 2003 on Celebrity Constellation. Great ship, great cruise.

Weather was beautiful. One rain day in Tallin. St Petersburg July 2-3, temp. 70-75, drizzle while at Hermitage, otherwise sunny.

Constellation had no trouble docking at any port. Any ? regarding Baltic, I would be glad to respond.

Am considering Grand Med cruise Venice - Barcelona next May-June,would appreciate ijkh and mek input. No Princess experience, 15 RCI/Celebrity cruises.

? quality of Princess Med cruises,tours, Grand class cabin preference

I was on the Star Princess Greek Isles cruise this April - it was terrific! But I'm an archaeology freak - enjoyed ruins all over, just wish we had two days in Athens and Naples. But summer would be very warm in this area.

Cruised the Baltic last August on HAL's Oosterdam during the European heat wave. I enjoyed these ports very much also.

I want to do both cruises again! Whatever you choose - ENJOY!

• 1 month later...

Hi! We're now back from our first ever cruise, having done the same itinerary as you on the Star, but starting July 27. We got so much information from your reviews - thank you!

We had a marvellous time, and also did the "on-board future cruise" thing - and are also thinking about the Baltic for the "next one". I don't think it will be next year, but hopefully the year after.

Krystyna (the future cruises girl) said the weather is pretty much the same in the Baltic as in the Med, though we found that rather hard to believe - think she was in "selling" mode at the time! I expect it to be cooler, but probably more suited to exploring - 30 degrees plus was excessive for sight-seeing!

DS wants to stick with the Star, because he knows his way round it. DH loves the food. I just love cruising!

Vivienne

Decisions, decisions, but I think I've made my mind up... July 25 Grand Princess... Greek Isles.

We've done the Med twice on Golden in 2001 and 2003 (the Grand is similar in design to the Golden & Star which we love) so this itinerary is just a little different. Not a lot though. Since I will be travelling with 4 'young adults' (sons 21 & 18, daughters 13 & 14) none of whom are, by are way, interested in the cultural side of the holiday - we've discounted a Baltic Cruise on the basis of the cooler weather and the fact everyone is so reluctant to disembark once they've boarded.

As a Brit, using a US TA, I am now just waiting for some prices before making the booking... let the countdown begin!! :D

Laura

Archived