Noordam vs. Norwegian Dawn

chelseaguy

I’ve read good thing about the Noordam but I never travel with HAL. I can only tell you that I love the Norwegian Dawn. I had such a great cruise last September that I booked another one in November. One of the different things that I love about Norwegian is their Freestyle dining experience. I can choose on of the ten restaurants and go whenever I want to go. One day if I want to go early, I’ll go in the early hours of the evening and the next day if I decided to take a snooze following a great shore excursion, I know I’ll have a late diner waiting for me.

One way or the other, I’m sure you’ll have a great cruise! :)

I’ve read good thing about the Noordam but I never travel with HAL. I can only tell you that I love the Norwegian Dawn. I had such a great cruise last September that I booked another one in November. One of the different things that I love about Norwegian is their Freestyle dining experience. I can choose on of the ten restaurants and go whenever I want to go. One day if I want to go early, I’ll go in the early hours of the evening and the next day if I decided to take a snooze following a great shore excursion, I know I’ll have a late diner waiting for me.

One way or the other, I’m sure you’ll have a great cruise! :)

My last four cruises were on Princess, so I hear what you're saying about flexible dining. However, we are booked on the Noordam for our next cruise and I have heard nothing but great things about this ship, so we'll see! I will miss the "anytime" flexibility, but I hear the Noordam has an alternative dining venue (for a fee), and apparently they also set up an area in their Lido area for tablecloth, waiter service at night. I read that you can order anything from the main dining room menu, and you show up whenever you want to eat.

The alternative restaurant on all HAL ships has a very limited menu with large pieces of meat being the main feature. It is only OK, IMHO. The atmosphere is nice and the service very good.

I have never eaten dinner in the Lido, but they do have tablecloths, candles and waiter service for part of the meal. I believe the selection of entree is most of the items that are served in the dining room. It has set hours for dinner and ends fairly early in the evening.

Chelseaguy, it really depends on what type of cruiser you guys are. My partner and I (me 42 and he 54) are more into traditional dining versus freestyle and prefer all the trappings of traditional cruising. So obviously we would say Noordam. I don't want to come across as NCL bashing as they provide a quality service for the market they serve but it is a different market from what we prefer. I was on the Oosterdam and loved it and have heard nothing but praises for the newer Noordam. Just giving you my biased vote.

RJ2002, We tried the alternative restaurant that HAL provides - the Pinnacle Grill. We both liked it but have heard both good and bad from other travellers who used it. I can only say I thought the food was great - the best beef anywhere on sea or land. However, I look as the alternative restaurants as something to do for one night and prefer to spend the majority of meals in the dining room.

Perhaps Chelseaguy, you can elaborate on friendly? Both lines are gay friendly. We certainly had no problems whatsover as a gay couple on the Oosterdam.

We were leaning toward the Noordam but hesitated when we heard the Dawn would not be sailing from NY in 2008 and thought maybe we should take it in Jan 2007.

We enjoy traditional service and were on the QM2 in January. Unfortunately we found that to be overhyped and the Cunard people very stand offish--actually most of the time they were invisible. The FOD meetings didn't work and received no help from the Cunard folks which is maybe how these things go. Though there were many gay people on board, I never saw two men dancing and the Commodore Club (supposedly the gay mecca) had no gay people at night except for a few couples for pre-dinner cocktails.) I'd like to think whichever ship we take would be an improvement and welcome any further thoughts.

Thanks again.

We were leaning toward the Noordam but hesitated when we heard the Dawn would not be sailing from NY in 2008 and thought maybe we should take it in Jan 2007.

We enjoy traditional service and were on the QM2 in January. Unfortunately we found that to be overhyped and the Cunard people very stand offish--actually most of the time they were invisible. The FOD meetings didn't work and received no help from the Cunard folks which is maybe how these things go. Though there were many gay people on board, I never saw two men dancing and the Commodore Club (supposedly the gay mecca) had no gay people at night except for a few couples for pre-dinner cocktails.) I'd like to think whichever ship we take would be an improvement and welcome any further thoughts.

Thanks again.

I hate to burst the bubble, chelseaguy but what you described on the QM2 - other than the standoffish people - is basically what you are going to find from time to time on any line. Any cruise from one week to another can be completely different even on the exact same ship. If you are looking for a larger number of openly gay men dancing or being open to a friendly get-together of gays then it may or may not happen. Thus, there are no guarantees on that one at all. Its better to plan around what service you enjoy rather than the possibility of what types of passengers are on any given week.

So you might not be able to get an answer from anyone on that. We went as a couple on the Oosterdam and had a good time. Now we did notice a few gay couples here and there but never saw a gathering anywhere we went. Then again we didn't go looking for getting to know our fellow passengers either. Yet we found HAL to be as gay friendly as any other mainstream line. So, I don't know if there is a magic answer to your question. It may fall into place or it may not on any particular sailing.

We're on the QM2 in December and am looking forward to it. I agree the gay mecca of the Commodore Club and the high life is often overhyped but I am going into it more realistically than the advertising or the chit chat around these boards make it out to be. I enjoyed HAL so think I should do okay with Cunard. We're just looking for a nice getaway to the Caribbean and from the pressures of home and want something more traditional than "freestyle" as that's just us. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations.

Good luck on whatever you two decide to do. A cruise is what you make out of it but you can't always rely on others to do it for you. One good point - look at the roll calls - see who is going on particular cruises.

David

The Noordam is a very nice ship...no doubt! It caters to a older more sophisticated clientele, with set dinner time and many formal nights. To be honest...I would sail only on her, because of the food.

The Dawn is more like a resort and happy vacation place. You can eat in 10 different restaurants when ever you like and have whatever you like when it pleases you. I can only recommend NCL also about it's safety standarts and clean ships. I do say only...if you like a bit higher standarts to go in a Suite on NCL...you will get treated different then like the rest of the passengers. If you go Noordam...all is the same and I do not fancy the Suites product they have.

My husband and I are taking the Noordam from NYC on January 17. We are a New York gay male couple of 53 and 73. We take an average of 3 cruises a year. Our most recent cruises have been on Regent Seven Seas, Silversea, and Seabourn. Besides the Noordam cruise, we have 2 future bookings on Regent Seven Seas and one on Hapag-Lloyd (the German cruise line).

We picked the Noordam because she is the highest quality ship that sails to the Carribbean from the NYC Passenger Ship Terminal which is a 5 minute drive from our apartment. We also chose the Noordam because she is smaller than the Norwegian Dawn and the QM2 (which is far too large for our taste). We chose this particular cruise because it coincides with my husband's birthday. We have friends who have been on RSSC and Carnival and, from their reports, those ships seem to be too heterosexual party oriented for us. We like a fairly quiet, adult atmosphere. On the Noordam, we understand that one of the pool areas is reserved for adults.

Our travel agent took us on board the Noordam in New York last March for a tour of the ship and for lunch. The ship and the cabin that we have booked seemed quite nice. The food and the dining room service were quite acceptable. We are really looking forward to this cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the Noordam seems to be it. I notice there are four seatings. Usually I go late, but with one at 8 and one at 8:30 I am uncertain. The 8 is on the upper level of the dining room and the 8:30 on the lower. Any thoughts about which would be more desirable. We always request a table of six.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
HAL 's ms NOORDAM IV is it. No doubt about it.:D

NCL is not even in the running.

Really,

Having sailed both lines several times I would choose an Owners Suite and dinner in Le Bistro on the Dawn over a Deluxe Verandah Suite and a meal in the Pinnacle Grill on the Noordam any day.

The level of service we receive from the butler’s, concierge and most other staff on NCL have always been far superior to anything on HAL. The NCL cabins are larger and not as drab as those I have experienced on Westerdam, Zuiderdam and Maasdam.

At one time I would have said that the main dining room food was superior on HAL but after my last cruise with them this past February they seem to want you to go to the “pay“ restaurants for a good meal just as much as NCL does. Those rigid dining room schedules can be a pain too.

I think Star Cruises has done a lot more for NCL’s on board experience then Carnival has done for Holland America.

Really,

Having sailed both lines several times I would choose an Owners Suite and dinner in Le Bistro on the Dawn over a Deluxe Verandah Suite and a meal in the Pinnacle Grill on the Noordam any day.

The level of service we receive from the butler’s, concierge and most other staff on NCL have always been far superior to anything on HAL. The NCL cabins are larger and not as drab as those I have experienced on Westerdam, Zuiderdam and Maasdam.

At one time I would have said that the main dining room food was superior on HAL but after my last cruise with them this past February they seem to want you to go to the “pay“ restaurants for a good meal just as much as NCL does. Those rigid dining room schedules can be a pain too.

I think Star Cruises has done a lot more for NCL’s on board experience then Carnival has done for Holland America.

Well it is personal choice.

But you have not been on the ms Noordam IV and October First this year now the NEW Added Menu Items are coming even finally to the Pinacle Grill.

Rigid dining shedule? Better food quality in the main dining hall .. $ times is better than two and your able to go upstairs as well to Linen Table Cloths..fine china and flatware and Just think the Cruise Line is Owned By an American Firm ..Not from Malaysia that they want to Nickel and Dime you even for basic apple juice...! Thank goodness Star bought them.

Okay, the Noordam seems to be it. I notice there are four seatings. Usually I go late, but with one at 8 and one at 8:30 I am uncertain. The 8 is on the upper level of the dining room and the 8:30 on the lower. Any thoughts about which would be more desirable. We always request a table of six.

Thanks again!

Lower seating is better with more of an Ocean/Water view...

Stability is great and never a wait.. unless your late... :D

Well it is personal choice.

But you have not been on the ms Noordam IV and October First this year now the NEW Added Menu Items are coming even finally to the Pinacle Grill.

Rigid dining shedule? Better food quality in the main dining hall .. $ times is better than two and your able to go upstairs as well to Linen Table Cloths..fine china and flatware and Just think the Cruise Line is Owned By an American Firm ..Not from Malaysia that they want to Nickel and Dime you even for basic apple juice...! Thank goodness Star bought them.

No, I have not been on the Noordam but the pics that I have seen show the cabins and a lot of the public rooms to look just like Westerdam.

I also received notice of the new Pinnacle grill items. They sound really good. This what the bottom of the "enhanced" menu

"IMPORTANT : As a result of this newly developed menu, the charge for the Pinnacle Grill will change to $30USD per person as of October 1st, 2006. Please note that previously made reservations will be honored at the $20.00USD per person rate. This also means that you may place a reservation with ship services for guests sailing prior to October 1st and the $20USD rate will be honored. Any reservations made on or after this time will realize the $30USD charge."

Nobody does nickle and diming like Carnival.

No, I have not been on the Noordam but the pics that I have seen show the cabins and a lot of the public rooms to look just like Westerdam.

I also received notice of the new Pinnacle grill items. They sound really good. This what the bottom of the "enhanced" menu

"IMPORTANT : As a result of this newly developed menu, the charge for the Pinnacle Grill will change to $30USD per person as of October 1st, 2006. Please note that previously made reservations will be honored at the $20.00USD per person rate. This also means that you may place a reservation with ship services for guests sailing prior to October 1st and the $20USD rate will be honored. Any reservations made on or after this time will realize the $30USD charge."

Nobody does nickle and diming like Carnival.

Yes the so called new charge you can oder now and pay the past fee.. the T/A'sjust had a Promo which gave dinners away as well assoted wine selections..

In March when we boarded her it was a 30 fee too and they I guess brought it back as in any economics supply and demand rules.. the saff in there does have great service and are fairly well trained.. but any cruise ship has not the best wait staff as on land does..

You probably saw Carnivals numbers issued last week a surprise but I do see plummiting numbers again if my projections are correct.. they (CCL:NYSE CUK:LSE) as RCL: NYSE have on board credits just for holding only 100 shares of the underlying common stock .. it is a nice benefit RCL does have double the $ (200) vs CCL (100) for the 12 nighters...

HAL has also now Bus rides from NE cities/towns to NYC...

An example is Philly Burlington.. Jamesburg..R/T $49 USD which is quite inexpensive.:eek:

You can call HAl at 877-SAIL HAL

877-724-5425

I did pick up the insurance after I researched it too from

Always if you get that make sure it is a Primary Policy and the Company is good. Mine was A+ rated I got again the TravelEx plus it costs little for what it gives ya:cool:

Hi!

I have sailed on both the NCL Dawn and the HAL Noordam:

For what it is worth at this point, here are my obvsevations about both ships.

DAWN

If you book a category AD or above you will be treated like royalty. The beds are comfortable with quality linens and fabulously cushy pillows. The bathrobes in these cabins are heavenly - so much so that I had to buy one and I still love it. The butlers are attentive without being intrusive and will cater to your every whim (well, almost anyway).

If you book a lower category, the cabins are more "cozy" and you will receive the same level of amenities and service that you would in a comparable cabin on HAL with the exception of perhaps the choice of having anything from the main dining room menu delivered to your room for dinner.

The freestyle dining is great and the food quality is comparable to that of the maining dining room on HAL. No, you don't get the benefit of your waiter knowing that you like a decaf cappucino after dinner. But there are trade offs are far as being able to meet new friends and have them join you for dinner on the spur of the moment.

You will find a lovely mix of ethnic backgrounds and culture in all levels of service on the Dawn and other NCL ships (not including NCL America).

NOORDAM

The best thing about this ship is the newly revamped library/internet cafe.

It is classy and comfortable. The rest of the ship is pretty much standard HAL.

I've booked upper category cabins on 3 HAL ships (Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Noordam). The service in these cabins doesn't really seem any different than those received in the lower categories. The only difference I've noticed is what I mentioned earlier about dinner from the main restaurant.

The beds on the Noordam are also very comfortable with decent linens but not as nice as those found on the Dawn upper category cabins. The pillows on the Noordam were downright uncomfotable and gave me a terrilbe neck ache.

You will find that HAL runs a more classist society in their levels of service. You will find primarily Indonesians as your wait staff in the main dining room. I was informed that Indonesians are not permitted to serve in the Pinnacle Grill. I find that very disturbing.

All this being said, the bottom line is that it is all about YOUR personal preferences.

I've enjoyed cruising with both HAL and NCL and I'm sure I will continue to do so in the future.

HAPPY SAILING!!!!

Archived