Cheapest Day To Buy Airline Tickets!

shermar96

Air fares go up and down all the time. Despite persistant urban myths about "the cheapest day of the week", I don't think anyone has ever been able to verify them. It makes no sense for the airlines to do that: otherwise, nobody would ever buy tickets on any other day of the week.

It may not make sense but, I read that Weds. after midnight is a good time to check a website like itasoftware and see what the current fares are and then go to the actual airline wesite of the best fare to book. It worked for me but it could have just been coincidence too!

I know that I pulled prices every day of the week two weeks ago and it appeared that Sat./Sun. was actually the cheapest for me. Same tickets another days ran more than $100+. So I was going to go ahead and purchase my tickets this weekend and of course - haven't gotten the same awesome deal yet. Might be cause of the weekend holiday - not sure, but sure hoping so!

Does anyone know what site is usually better than others? I've been pulling from Orbitz, Expedia, CheapTickets, American Airlines, Priceline, & Delta.

Thanks for the information though!;)

I know that I pulled prices every day of the week two weeks ago and it appeared that Sat./Sun. was actually the cheapest for me. Same tickets another days ran more than $100+. So I was going to go ahead and purchase my tickets this weekend and of course - haven't gotten the same awesome deal yet. Might be cause of the weekend holiday - not sure, but sure hoping so!

Does anyone know what site is usually better than others? I've been pulling from Orbitz, Expedia, CheapTickets, American Airlines, Priceline, & Delta.

Thanks for the information though!;)

I often go to www.bookingbuddy.com. This site allows you to input your travel information once and you can then click on various website links to search for the best deal. That saves you from going to each site and inputting the information each time. I have found Orbitz to often be the cheapest - but once I find out which airline has the best rates (NWA for example), I then go to that airline's website and usually get an even cheaper rate (usually by about $5.00 per person).

Hope this helps!

I have found Orbitz to often be the cheapest - but once I find out which airline has the best rates (NWA for example), I then go to that airline's website and usually get an even cheaper rate (usually by about $5.00 per person).

That's because Orbitz tacks on a $5 fee on the ticket purchased on their site.

checkout airfare.com

I recently purchased what I thought was a good deal for international open jaw flights from San Francisco, Ca to Venice, retunring Barcelona to SFO..I purchased them through NWA as they are partners with KLM which had a great price..long story short a week after I purchased my tickets, I was browsing, and found airfare.com, they had the EXACT KLM itinerary that I had purchased for a $497 cheaper price! I contacted NWA for their guarantee and they said it was only valid for airfares on the same day or the next day after I purchsed the tickets. I will check airfare.com next time!!

I check kayak daily. On Labor Day, I was looking, and booked President's Week in February from BOS to MIA for $89 each way for Saturday to Saturday. I checked for April vacation week (DW is a teacher) and the same rates applied. We are taking the kids then, but was unsure of one of their schedules, so waited until the afternoon before I could confirm with them. The rate went from $89 to $619 for the same flights. I could of kicked myself. So total fare with taxes of just over $220 round trip went through the roof!!!

Moral of the story, keep checking!

I check kayak daily. On Labor Day, I was looking, and booked President's Week in February from BOS to MIA for $89 each way for Saturday to Saturday. I checked for April vacation week (DW is a teacher) and the same rates applied. We are taking the kids then, but was unsure of one of their schedules, so waited until the afternoon before I could confirm with them. The rate went from $89 to $619 for the same flights. I could of kicked myself. So total fare with taxes of just over $220 round trip went through the roof!!!

Moral of the story, keep checking!

This is amazing. Will share with my brother in Boston, who never seems to get good flights and fares from Logan to Florida. We're traveling President's Week, too.

I just wanted to say many thanks for all the great informative information that I received from here. I booked my tickets on Wednesday for $492.40 RT from Little Rock to Ft. Lauderdale on 10/20/06 to 10/23/06. Talked DH into staying the night in Ft. Lauderdale after we dock! Phew - don't know why, but I was sweating that one! Now to just start getting items together!

Thanks everyone!!!!!!

Archived