Med. cruise on Splendour of Seas

I sailed on her in May.

We took ship tours in Marseilles, Monaco/MonteCarlo and Barcelona.

In Naples we took hydrofoil to Capri and had an excursion (with Blue Grottos) around the island and in the afternoon tour on doube-decker in Naples.(Many people take tours to Sorrento and Pompeii, and other places but we were dead tired after 4 days of intensive tours)

We used Daniele www.driverinrome.com for Pisa/Florence and Rome. If you find a group of 4-6(you included) e-mail him immideatly as he is very popular and booked usually long in advance.

For Rome he is the best driver/guide you can get!

There was a thread about Splendour tours in Med on these boards eariler, try to find it.

Good luck and have a great cruise!!!

Hi, I also sailed on the Splendour in May (the same cruise as Tatka). It was a great cruise and we used private tours in all the ports and saw SO much! I did a review and the easiest way to find it is to click on my name then go to"threads started by FANC6" . Have a great cruise!:)

Hi Nancy,

We were on Splendour last August and are sailing again on Splendour on October 2. We decided to go again this year and bring my daughter and her husband.

Last year, we did mostly private tours in each port.

This year our tours will be:

In Marseille, we have booked with Eva Devemy. I have noticed on the Cruise Critic boards that no one has mentioned her but Sylvie (our tour guide in Villefranche) has recommended her company, Provence Sighseeing. The new website is http://www.riviera-prestige-tours.com The tour we have arranged is a full day tour 8 - 5:30 and we are going to Isle Sur La Sorgue, Roussillon, St. Remy and Les Baux de Provence and wine tasting tour. This is the one port that we did not go to last year. The itinerary last year included Malta instead. So it is a new adventure for us. I found a good website for the Marseille area that you can check out all the different villages that site is http://www.beyond.fr/villages/index.html.

In Villefranche, we are touring with Sylvie, http://www.azur-guides-interpretes.com. We are going to see Nice, Monaco and than our major emphasis is St. Paul de Vence. We have suggested to Sylvie to make a lunch reservation at Colombe d' Or for lunch. This restaurant is just outside the walls of St. Paul de Vence. La Colombe d’Or was originally a simple auberge but is now a world renowned restaurant and hotel. Many famous artists used to come here and pay for their meals with their work. The hotel now has a very impressive collection which is on show to anyone that comes to stay or eat here. The dining room is full of paintings by Picasso, Matisse and many others and it’s difficult to decide whether to sit inside and admire the beautiful paintings or on the terrace admiring the panoramic views.

For Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples - Pompei, Sorrento, and Positano, I just emailed Daniele at Executive Limosine Service. We used them last year and had a driver named Aldo that was terrific. Their website is http://www.driverinrome.com. When you get to their site, click on Shore Excursions.

We are going to stay in Barcelona 2 days after the cruise. Last year, we stayed only 1 day and it wasn't enough. Barcelona is a fabulous city is see. Especially all of the Gaudi architecture. We are staying at the Hotel Colon this year. Last year we stayed at the Hotel Gran Havana.

If I can answer any other questions, just let me know.

Helen

Hi Nancy,

Wow, I finally found someone else going on Oct. 23rd. Myself & Tom are flying into Barcelona on the 21st, staying at Hotel Continental, we are also staying 2 days post cruise, same Hotel. We have 2 other couples who have put deposits on this cruise, but they haven't booked airfare or hotel yet, so we aren't sure if they are coming or not. As of now we are planning on using ships excursions until we get a definite on our friends. I have found alot of good info on these boards, tried to start a thread on Roll Call, but never got any response. Looking forward to chatting with you.

Hi Helen...thanks for all the info...we're staying in Barcelona for 2 days pre and 1 day post cruise. We're staying at the Hotel BelArt. Do you know anything about it...found info on many websites and booked through hotel.com. Looking for info on cruise port tours vs. private. My DH and I are going alone so private tours get pricey. Would like to hook up with others who are going and interested in private tours, so far we haven't. Any other info would be appreciated...and I know your cruise will be great. :D Nancy

Hi Navel1ring....great to hear that you're going on the 23rd. also. My DH and I are going alone and interested in possibly hooking up with others to take private tours. Being only two of us, doing private is very pricey but if we had others it would be great. Do you intend to do cruise tours or private? We're getting into Barcelona (by the way, we live in Columbus, OH) on the 21st, staying at the Hotel BelArt for two days and we're staying at the same hotel one day after the cruise and returning to USA on the 31st. Let's keep in touch. Nancy:D

Nancy

I also saw Hotel BelArt on hotels.com but I haven't heard anything about it. There is a thread on Barcelona Hotels you may want to post a question there. Last year, it was just the 2 of us traveling but by reading the CC boards we were able to connect with 4 other people to do the private tours with. I know Sylvie in Villefranche is also willing to put people together on a tour if you let her know you are interested.

Have fun planning? Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Helen

Nancy,

We sailed on Splendour on 19th June. I have written a full review on the cruise-addicts site. You can find it at "www.cruise-addicts.com". Go to Reviews and then to Splendour of the Seas.

We prefer to do our own thing in port.

Cinnamon

Nancy,

I'm Wendy & Tom & I are from Warren, Ohio although he winters in Fla. We have a place in Boca. I haven't had the luxury to retire like he has. We are flying Delta & getting into Barcelona on the 21st at 7:30 am. It is about 1/2 hr to our hotel which is near Placa de Catulunya. I'm 40 & Tom is 60 & we are looking forward to our 1st Med cruise. We have not decided on port excursions for sure until our friends make their decision & I know it is getting tight for doing private tours.

Wendy

Hi Wendy (fellow Buckeye)...We're going on Northwest and arriving on the 21st at 9:30 a.m. Looking forward to seeing Barcelona...heard so much about it. Mel (DH) and I are retired (early). Have been on many cruises and traveled China, Mideast and England (mainly London). Cruises mainly Caribbean, Panama Canal and Hawaii. But looking forward to our first Med. cruise. If you decided you'd like to share some private tours, with or without your friends, please let me know. We might be interested. Can you imagine....Buckeyes meeting in the Mediterranean. Nancy:)

Glad to see a couple of others also on the 10/23/04 Splendour sailing. There are 3 of us going. We are doing 2 nights precruise in Madrid and 2 in Barcelona at the Hotel Montecarlo. I hard started a 10/23 roll call on the Roll Call page before the new boards, however had little response. I think only Wendy and Tom.

Look forward to hearing from everyone. Should we start another Roll Call?

Mary

Hey Mary,

Glad to see we found each other here. I started another thread at Roll Call on Friday & no response. Maybe we'll have more luck on this board. Tom & I are totally looking forward to the cruise. Keep in touch.

Wendy

My wife and I are also on the October 23 sailing of Splendour of the Seas and were originally investigating possible private tours before seeing the costs and settling for ship tours. We have never been on a cruise before and are from Australia, so we aren't 'buckeyes' (whatever that is...). We are having a much needed brief mid-child-rearing break together and are both in our thirties and on a tight budget. I have a particular interest in history and historical buildings (rather than, say, a primary focus on art and wine-tasting).

Depending on cost I would be interested in discussing possible shared private tours. I had investigated the possiblity, for example, of a tour from Marseille to Avignon to see the palace and the castle across the river, the Pont du Gard (roman aquaduct), and perhaps a few places in Marseilles like the Abbaye de St-Victor. Another interesting tour for us from Livorno was a fairly brief stop at the Leaning Tower of Pisa and a tour around the tuscan countryside to the wall-and-tower town of San Gimignano (we'd prefer that to Florence (I've been)). In Naples we were interested in Pompeii, Herculaneum, and some of the sights in Naples like Castel Nuovo, and the museum of archaeology. Rome we thought we'd do ourselves; same with the Cote D'Azur. If you are interested in discussing this further, please email me at dkhilton@hotmail.com.

David

Hi David, a "buckeye" is a nut on a tree and a symbol of the state of Ohio, USA. Glad to hear you're on the Splendour on Oct. 23rd. We're debating, as many others are, ship or private land tours. We've heard so much about private, but yes they are pricey. We are looking for others to share these costs. Having read your message, we have never been to Florence, so that's important to us. Your Naples agenda seems likable. Let me know what you finally decide and then we can talk. I also have heard good things about ship shore tours...Nancy:confused:

Nancy,

Good to hear from you. I am very new at all this cruising business but have done considerable research on all the ports and their nearby attractions. My wife and I are pretty set I think for most ports, except Marseilles. We have the half day ship excursion to Pompeii booked for the Naples stop, and then for the afternoon we can decide to either go on our own to Herculaneum or see some sights in Naples. My only concern with this tour is that we will have to waste time at a obligatory stop for a cameo factory (to fulfill special tour company "arrangements").

I was wondering what you were thinking of doing for the Marseilles stop on the 24th October. I know a lot of people are interested in Aix and thereabouts but I am really into history and buildings rather than, say wine-tasting or art museums or all day shopping. My thinking, if I can find anyone else interested, is a possible trip that takes in all or some of the following: Avignon palace and nearby Fort St.Andre, Pont du Gard (the famous roman aqueduct), or something of the following: the town of Tarascon with its castle (apparently one of the best around), Nimes or Arles with the Roman Amphitheatres, and a bit of Marseilles.

I am certainly happy to provide more information (or direct you to online sites to learn more) about these locations.

Yes there is great debate over the best shore options: ship tour, on your own, or private tour. I'm mostly doing a mixture of half day ship tours and on your own afternoons. The problem with on your own is that you have to worry about all the details and rely on public transport to places. Some places you might want to see are not on these routes. The problem with ship excursions is that you are in large groups and limited to what you can do. The problem with private is the cost, but you can see much more in less time and reach otherwise impossible places (that are not included in ship tours or easily reached on your own). For me cost is a big factor, where for others it is not. I have been dealing with a private tour company (that is well versed in English) that has given me a quote for two (which I can't really bring myself to pay, though it is a good price) and is happy to do one for four (or more). If you are interested in me getting a quote for us or in telling me what you'd be interested in seeing, please email me at dkhilton@hotmail.com or if you are more comfortable, continue this thread with your thoughts.

I don't know if this helps, but I am a dual Canadian/Australian and have a fair knowledge of french.

David

Hello

My husband and I and four of our friends are also sailing on the Splendour this September 25th. FANC6, you mentioned you did private tours in all the ports. Did you get Sylvie at Villefranche? Apparently, the ship anchors in Villefranche and tenders all guests ashore. However, the ship only starts giving tender tickets at 9 a.m. and the first shot goes to those who purchased their shore excursions on the ship. Is this true? We were supposed to meet Sylvie at 9 a.m. on the port and if this info is true then it will probably present a problem for us. If I can get the right info then I can email her and set a more reasonable time for us to meet. Thanks heaps.

Hello

My husband and I and four of our friends are also sailing on the Splendour this September 25th. FANC6, you mentioned you did private tours in all the ports. Did you get Sylvie at Villefranche? Apparently, the ship anchors in Villefranche and tenders all guests ashore. However, the ship only starts giving tender tickets at 9 a.m. and the first shot goes to those who purchased their shore excursions on the ship. Is this true? We were supposed to meet Sylvie at 9 a.m. on the port and if this info is true then it will probably present a problem for us. If I can get the right info then I can email her and set a more reasonable time for us to meet. Thanks heaps.

Ship anchors in VilleFranche very early. We had ship organized tour starting at 7 ... Many people take ship tours in this area because they are not very costly (I think $40 or $50 pp) and with tour starting early I don't think it'll be a problem for the rest of the pax.

Hi David, The reason I'm answering through the message board and not e-mail is I thought perhaps others would be interested in either sharing port tours or provide more information about tours and/or areas.

My husband and I would like to share private tours, but would prefer all day tours. Half days requires much info. to continue on ones own. Since we have not been to this area before, we truly would like tours that would give us the advantage of visiting numerous places and seeing various areas....for us to return to places in the future we loved the most.

But, we possibly would be interested in sharing a tour with you for Marseilles. I understand that we are there on Sunday and that most places are closed on that day. Have you heard this? Please do either e-mail me the info you have or do it through this message board. Look forward to hearing from you...Nancy:confused:

Nancy,

I am happy to hear you are interested!

I am also open to more people joining us (lower costs!). I have got several quotes for a full day tour from Marseilles, a port that I've read is quite far from the city centre and one where you have to pay for a shuttle or taxi to get to town. I can't yet email you because I haven't got your email, but I'd love to get your feedback on ideas I have. Perhaps you could email me with your ideas and interests and I could respond? I agree with you about wanting a more relaxed experience being able to see as much as possible (without running from place to place!!!). The cheapest quote I have (out of four) is 300E for two people and a bit more for 4 or more (I'd have to get a quote for more). If you've asked any other day-tour people for prices you'd find I think that this is a very good price (but I still need to share as it is over AU$500 for the day! ). I haven't read anything about Bonjour Provence on this site but they look like they know what they are doing and write in perfect English. The Sunday issue is one that encourages me to go on a private tour because I feel Marseille will have limited appeal then (can't go shopping?). I have heard that there are supposed to be markets (which are always fun) in Avignon on Sunday. Besides that, the sites that I am thinking of seeing are open on Sunday (according to last year's Lonely Planet Guide) but I will also check with the private tour company. In addition to this, the trip itself is through La belle provence and the Pont du Gard looks like it is in a beautiful spot over the river (my wife likes natural splendour more than historical sites like me...).

Please email me so I can send you more details about each spot. (I'm happy to type out descriptions and for photos I recommend going to google.com and clicking on images, then writing in the name of what you'd like to see (eg. Pont du Gard). You may get some odd photos of people etc, but usually there are some good shots to inspire!

I will get that quote for 4 people now that I know you are interested.

David

Archived