Weather in Alaska mid-September

lydiagb

What will the weather be like in Alaska in September? We are taking a 12 day cruise through Celebrity on the Mercury that starts and ends in San Francisco. I grew up in the Bay Area so I know SF can vary. I'm not sure about Victoria, B.C. Will it mostly be raining in Alaska? Should we bring heavy coats as well as light weight ones? Our Alaska ports of call are Juneau, Skagway, Icy Straight Point, Hubbard Glacier (cruising), Sitka, Ketchikan, and Inside Passage (cruising). All packing advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Lydia

On average- it can be less than ideal. Last season was exceptional and atypical, but hope for a repeat. :) Overall expect temps in the 40-60's, some rain, dusk by 7pm - so plan carefully for shore touring and be available in the middle of the night for northern lights. :) Take layers but leave the winter coats at home, you'll need knit hat and gloves.

Thank you Krazy Kruizers and Budget Queen for your replies. I'll leave the heavy coats at home but I will get started on knitting a hat for my husband =) . We will definitely make sure to look for the Northern Lights.

Thanks!

Lydia

I went last Setember and had only one day of rain and that was the day we visited Glacier Bay NP. The days on foot in Juneau, Skagway, and Kechikan were nice but on the cool side. You won't need shorts!!! Do take warm cloths if you go up the Mt. Roberts Tramway in Juneau. The wind went right through my light windbreaker. The long johns and insolated coat were needed the day we were at Glacier Bay. The White Pass Railroad route can be chilly if you leave the railcar and stand on the ledge outside like I did. Fasier BC was cold when we got off the train.

Archived