Do you use common $$$ or something special?

Chitoryubt

When you tip, do you use common denominations, such as $1, $5, etc., or do you use something different? I've read in these boards that some people like to use $2, or a gold coin (Sacajawea). Some posters wrote that the crew members loved getting the uncommon kinds, but other posters said the crew members had trouble using the uncommon stuff.

Please let me know what you do, and if you have heard any "trouble using special currency" stories -

Thanks!

Coming from someone married to a crewman, give normal cash. They are just going to send it home or save it to take home or use it for things they need.

Hubby is always hitting the local Walmart to get shampoo, shaving stuff, allergy meds, vitamins etc, so as cute as unusal currency is, they are just going to spend it in the end, and being from another country, most are not going to understand these currencies. They know the normal stuff. My hubby still has trouble with US change, and gets really confused when he gets dollar coins or 2 dollar bills. He smiles and thanks the giver but in the end he calls me or brings them home and asks me what it is and how much value it has.

Most people tip in U.S. Dollars if the cruise starts or ends (or both) from the U.S.

The employees don't care if it is in USD as long as they can spend it or send it back home. They come from many countries and know where to transfer the money the money into whatever thier hometown funds are.

I'm with Nitra on this..

Each time we have cruised we have asked various crew members what type of money the prefer...out of the 20 or so I have asked from all different jobs on the cruise...each has stated...No Fancy Money. Then they all say..."too hard to spend in the ports".

I know some people feel like it is more special...But the crew does not want it!!!!! Please repect that! It is kind of selfish to do it becuase it makes YOU feel good!

Give these hard workers real money--not novelty stuff that may be hard for them to spend. How would you like it if you were a waitress and were tipped in phone cards, or those stupid $1.00 coins? You would want something easier--and so do they!

Just give them money and a heartfelt "Thanks!" They will appreciate it!

Archived