Pleasent surprise...

maddmaxx

I have shared my dismay with NCL's refusal to make a price adjustment on a POH cruise I had booked several months ago... I ultimately got to chat with a gentleman in their corporate suite who offered me a viable explanation for his company's refusal to budge and we, in a sense, parted agreeing to disagree...

Hey, I'm going back to the islands... the most beautiful place on the planet and I wasn't going to let a dispute over a few hundred bucks stand in the way of the trip... I simply decided I would vote with my wallet when I made future trips to paradise.

Less than an hour ago I got a phone call from a very nice NCL rep who, in a nutshell, has given me a generous upgrade. The call came from totally out of the blue and was most appreciated.

NCL often takes a bad rap for poor customer service... I think it only fair that since I took the time to express my disatisfaction with NCL on a public forum I share the rest of the story with you.

Someone with the company took my concern seriously, had someone look into it, and they took the time to make it good. That's customer service. The fact that they took the time to do those things when they really didn't have to raises their stock considerably in my book.

I sincerely appreciate NCL for what they did and wanted to share this experience with those of you who frequent these message boards.

Mahalo, NCL... the fact that a human being called me on a matter I had considered to be a done deal speaks volumunes for the folks who run your show.

Someone with the company took my concern seriously, had someone look into it, and they took the time to make it good. That's customer service. The fact that they took the time to do those things when they really didn't have to raises their stock considerably in my book.

I sincerely appreciate NCL for what they did and wanted to share this experience with those of you who frequent these message boards.

Mahalo, NCL... the fact that a human being called me on a matter I had considered to be a done deal speaks volumunes for the folks who run your show.

Great of you to share this with us. Yes, that is what customer service should be about. Unfortunately in todays fast pace world it generally is not. I am happy for you...enjoy your upgrade. Glad you are now a "happy cruiser". :D

Thank you for posting your message.

I have had occasion to use customer service at NCL only twice and had a good experience.

I think sometimes people approach other people with a chip on their shoulder and this gets things off to a bad start and only goes down hill from there. I use to approach people with the attitude that you had better do this my way or else. As I have gotten older or grown up I realize you catch more bees with honey than vinigar. This does not mean that I always gdt my way but I usually get a reasonable explanation for the others position.

Anyway, happy cruising!

Thank you for posting your message.

I have had occasion to use customer service at NCL only twice and had a good experience.

I think sometimes people approach other people with a chip on their shoulder and this gets things off to a bad start and only goes down hill from there. I use to approach people with the attitude that you had better do this my way or else. As I have gotten older or grown up I realize you catch more bees with honey than vinigar. This does not mean that I always gdt my way but I usually get a reasonable explanation for the others position.

Anyway, happy cruising!

Great advice

I am glad things worked out. I have found it you reach the right person with the right approach at NCL they really do want to delight us. The problem in my mind none of the folks you reach normally are empowered to do anything but what is in the rule book even if they believe it is not right.

I always follow the advice I got in an email from Colin Vietch a couple of years ago as I struggled with a problem. I have posted it before but worth another read by many

Thanks for your continued support and your reasonable approach to airing your frustration. The reasonable people are, in the end, more likely to have a good outcome -- especially if they feel that writing to me should be part of their approach. I respond to reasonableness!

That's customer service.

I wouldn't consider the way they handled your situation as good customer service. Customer service is getting it right the first time, and making the customer happy. The fact that you had to go through your initial frustration, and escalate this issue attests to some poor customer service.

I think this is EXACTLY what customer service is all about--making things right. Very little in life is alwasy right the first go 'round and it's how folks deal with it after it goes south.

NCL has always demonstrated great customer service were I am concerned, and I attribut that to the fact that I am reasonable with what I want. Often I have written not even asking for anything, but merely to express an opinion. Next thing I know, I have a room credit on a cruise that hasn't even been booked yet. Totally unnecessary, totally unexpected and totally great customer service.

Now it's time to watch Texas and Ohio State.

I wouldn't consider the way they handled your situation as good customer service. Customer service is getting it right the first time, and making the customer happy.
No, that would be the status quo. What happened was what you expected to happen. No kind of service was required.
The fact that you had to go through your initial frustration, and escalate this issue attests to some poor customer service.
Just because the OP had initial frustration doesn't automatically mean NCL was wrong. But when the OP escalated the situation, NCL then did something extra for him even though they didn't have to. That's what customer service is.

I appreciate the OP coming forward and letting us know the outcome. No, maybe he didn't get the satisfaction he had hoped at the beginning, but as long as he feels someone came forward that is the important thing.

Attempting to get satisfaction when you cop at attitude will get you nowhere, I am sure the OP stayed calm even if he was insistant. There are ways to handle challenges. It is also important to understand in many cases customer service has very little if any authority to adjust much. I know, I was a customer service manager for a major hotel chain call center. All our reps could do, in most cases was write up a complaint. From there it went to mangers and even high authority if the unhappy consumer wanted something in return. This also takes time. You can't expect to call customer service, state your unhappiness and expect some rep to promise you a refund, an upgrade, an obc or whatever. Maybe a bottle of wine or a fruit basket, but that is about all they can do. NMnita

It is also important to understand in many cases customer service has very little if any authority to adjust much. I know, I was a customer service manager for a major hotel chain call center. All our reps could do, in most cases was write up a complaint. From there it went to mangers and even high authority if the unhappy consumer wanted something in return. This also takes time. You can't expect to call customer service, state your unhappiness and expect some rep to promise you a refund, an upgrade, an obc or whatever. Maybe a bottle of wine or a fruit basket, but that is about all they can do. NMnita

Good point. Customer service reps should be more empowered, or be able to make better decisions about when something needs to be escalated to a manager, without the customer feeling completely aggravated. It seems that these days, unless you're willing to threaten something (like not cruise with them again - sometimes that doesn't even work), you will not be considered seriously.

I'm also glad the OP was satisfied by the end result, and I'm glad you posted to show others that even if it takes time and frustration, the cruise company can come around.... :)

Archived