Liverno to Florence by Train

From the port to the station there're buses numbers 1 and 1R..but i don't know from where in the port they start...i suggest to catch a taxi, Livorno station is quite far from the port.

On the 29th of September trains to Florence are at 8.11(Regional train, arrive at 9.33) , 8.26 (Regional train with change of train in Pisa at 8.47, then dp.8.54 arr.10.03), 9.15 (Regional train, arrive at 10.43) and 10.11 (regional train, only 2°class, arrive at 11.33. Trains arrive at Firenze Santa Maria Novella...in front of the church of Santa Maria Novella and near the city centre, train costs 6,10€ in 2° class, 9,15 in first class where there's it.

From Florence train are at 15.27, 16.27, 17.27, 17.37 (stops at all station, i takes 1hour and 45minutes), 18.27...all these trains arrive in Livorno after 1hour and 22minutes at xx.49! Prices are the same....

It can be very easy, depends of what time your ship arrives and what time it departs....For others information tell me or see Trenitalia web-site:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Bye,

:) :)

If doing this trip it's vital to allow plenty of time and get off ship as early as possible. If getting off when not many folks require taxis, then you may be lucky enough for one to take you to the station. We had to line up for the shuttle, which then took us to town, from where we would have had to take a bus or taxi. We would only have had 2-3 hours in Florence and were worried about missing the ship, so we took a local trip instead. I reckon the most sensible place for indeoendent travellers to go, is Pisa, by train, but if you get off the ship early, Florence should be quite attainable.

For those who have no knowledge of Livorno, our ship docked in what appeared to be a commercial area, several miles from the town centre or station and public transport can take an awfully long time. I'd be quite happy never to return!

One suggestion would be check into the transportation only option tour that most cruise lines offer at this port. For our Princess cruise this fall that option is a bus from the port to Florence and then 6 hours or so there. You probably would end up with more time in Florence and a lot fewer gray hairs from worrying if you were going to make it back to the ship. Princess is offering this for $75 a person which isn;t a bad price.

IMHO

Have a great next cruise.

See my later post for how to get to the train station. Florence is very easy to do in a day from Livorno. It is true that the ship will dock in the commercial port but a shuttle bus will take you to the town for 1 euro return. Don't bother with taxis as for another 2 euros you can get the bus to the train station.

Pisa has little but the Leaning tower whereas Florence is a stunning city with very little traffic and is well worth the little effort to get there.

A real piece of advice is not to leave your return to the last train posiible, get the previous one to be sure that you get back to the ship on time as Italian trains have been known to be late.

Fair points from both the above posters. The $75 transport option seems pretty good, especially if the weather is hot and humid.

The port shuttle is fine, if you can get one straight away. Some passengers on our ship had to wait one hour at the ship side and 1.5 hrs to return. Certainly no fun.

• 6 years later...
Fair points from both the above posters. The $75 transport option seems pretty good, especially if the weather is hot and humid.

The port shuttle is fine, if you can get one straight away. Some passengers on our ship had to wait one hour at the ship side and 1.5 hrs to return. Certainly no fun.

Is there a company that does transfers to Florence from the ship's port?

Is there a company that does transfers to Florence from the ship's port?

Yes, there are many. And, right after you get off the ship there will be a rank of taxis looking for fares to Florence, etc. If you get a group together on your roll call, you can split the cost among you.

We are booked for a r/t transfer from Livorno to Florence this coming October. We booked with Tuscany taxi ... our driver will meet us at the pier & cost for 8 person van is 320 euors (40 euros per person).

Archived