Alaska Cruising in September

resinman

We are planning a cruise to Alaska in 2007 in either May or September, but in looking at the average rain fall we are concerned about going in September due the the possibnility of a lot of rain/showers.

What has been the experience of other people during this time frame?

We also did an Alaska cruise in mid- sept and were warned that it was the "rainy season" and to make sure we brought rain gear. The weather was fantastic and it was just misty and foggy the morning that we were in Juneau -- so that the helicoptor flights had to be canceled. Alaska is incredible whenever you go.

We did Alaska in Sept 2004 and the weather was wonderful until the last day. In Ketchikan the float plane was cancelled due to weather and the seas were rough that night out of Ketchikan.

Otherwise it was great. The day in Glacier was wonderful, not too cold, very comfortable, sunny.. needed a jacket on deck, but they serve hot chocolate (and other warm drinks!) that helped out!

Dont worry about the rain...its Alaska..its gonna rain...its gonna be chilly..thats what going to Alaska is...if you want sun...choose a Caribbean cruise..

We went in July and it rained some ...the link to my pics is on my sig.

Its beautiful...you will love it whenever you go

We go to Alaska very frequently and "always" in September...........love it. The tundra changes colors as do the leaves on our trees down here; it's beautiful. We've never had rain UNTIL this year! And, did we have rain.............both weeks.

But..it's Alaska.

Last year we left Sept. 1 from Seattle for eleven days and every day we wore shorts on deck; you just never know.

This year we saw Mt. McKinley THREE days out of the three days we were there and that's "unheard of." So, we were very fortunate...............

I went last September (second week) and it was incredible. One drizzly morning and the rest of the time was breathtaking, sparkling sunshine. Have booked September already for the next two years. You can also get closer to the glaciers because more of the winter ice is gone in Sept. than May (so I hear). I've just been reading some posts about people who went in July and had terrible weather all week. Pretty much a crap shoot in AK (weather wise) but you'll have a great time regardless.

We had some rain at Juneau.....but it was fine. I still did the float plane, and actually the pilot told us the overcast caused the glaciers to look bluer. Hiking Mt. Roberts after the Tram ride was a bit muddy, but nothing could dampen the beauty of the area. Overcast in Skagway, then the sun appeared for a bit. Ketchikan was sunny and mild. Temps every port were in the high 50's so you could wear shorts and T's if you like.

We are planning to go back next year at the same time because of the mild temps, the plentiful wildlife, and the shore excursions we had to miss because of too many choices. Also after Labor Day there are much fewer children on these cruises.

As a side trip, Vacouver and Victoria are REALLY beautiful at this time of the year.

Dave:eek:

Planning on going to AK next September, so it's been interesting reading the comments here. After growing up in Michigan, I don't think the weather in September should be too big of a shock based on what folks have said in this thread.

We are planning a cruise to Alaska in 2007 in either May or September, but in looking at the average rain fall we are concerned about going in September due the the possibnility of a lot of rain/showers.

What has been the experience of other people during this time frame?

We just booked the Carnival Spirit for next September 5 2007, I am not the least bit concerned about the weather. It could be wet, cold, dry or rainy!!! - Just like any other time of the year!!!

I just got off the Radiance yesterday. We had an overcast day in Seward when we got on the ship, some rain. Next day Hubbard Glaicer and it was cold and rainey but the ship got so close to the glaicer you could almost reach out and touch it.

The rest of the trip was fantistic. Some mornings were foggy and chilly but by the mid-morning it was warm and sunny. Lot of sunbathers on the top deck.

I would go again in September.

We Did Our Alaskan Cruise Sept.1 - 8 2006 And The Weather Was Beautiful. A Little Bit Of Drizzle But None Of Our Excursions Were Cancelled. The Helicopter Ride In Juneau Was Great. We Wore Shorts On Deck. Other People We Know Went In July And August And Had More Rain Than Us.

Archived