New Cruiser - Dress code questions

kbknepp

The first night we choose the seats we wish to be seated at for the entire length of the cruise. And yes, we do get upset if we arrive for dinner the second night and our table mates are in our seats. Maybe I'm old fashioned but that's the way it is.

But you do realize that it's not a rule, that you can change seats if you want and that it's all right if someone else changes seats. I find that some people actually like to see out the window or do not like sitting next to the pool that the wait staff has to skinny through to provide service. Of course, some people would rather be facing the interior of the dinning room to people watch.

I find it's only polite to not force someone to sit in what might be considered an undesirable seat for the entire length of a cruise.

Call me old fashioned but I think it's only polite for everyone to share the good seats with the not so good seats. That way everyone gets a chance at something they like rather than being stuck with what's left over if, for some reason they are a little late arriving to the main dining room that first night. Reasons like their luggage arrived later and they'd like to dress in something decent for dinner. ;)

Life is far to short to be upset about something as small as who sits wear or what someone else is wearing. Especially if it starts to ruin your cruise experience.

We feel this way too. At a large oval table, it makes a difference if a family of 4 or more sits around bottom or the top of the oval rather than across the side. The latter way, we are spread too far apart, especially if one in our party is elderly and a bit hard-of-hearing. My father was deaf in one ear and needed a certain placement at the table in order to hear, otherwise he'd feel isolated and left out of the conversation.

To some extent, this I can understand and, if someone were polite enough to explain it to me, I'd have no problem leaving those seats for that family. Of course, I make a good solid attempt to speak to everyone at the table no matter what so they don't feel left out. I realize that this is not the case with everyone. I have had table mates that were not great converstationalists or just don't enjoy sharing a table with someone they don't know.

I've also had to occasion to share a table with another group that isolated themselves from our group and did not converse except amongst themselves, thus isolating both groups. It was obvious that they did not want to speak to us after the first 15 to 30 minutes at the table so we just made sure that they'd have four seats together rather than splitting them up and forcing them to converse over/around the rest of the table.

There are always exceptions to any situation but, as a rule, you do not have to sit in the exact same seats, or in the exact same bend of the table, every night. Variety can be nice and changing seats also allows you to have conversations with others at your table who might be to far away to politely speak with if seated a long ways away from you every night at a large table.

As side note, isn't it amazing what we all can come up with as iritants for our vacation? For me the one thing that will irritate me is people who block the isle or hallway to stand and have a conversation rather than off to the side so foot traffic can pass. As I've gotten older, I have less patience for this but have also learned not to let it bother me as much. If they're going to block a public walkway, I'm just going to excuse myself and walk right through the middle of them without giving it much thought.

One other thing that does tend to upset me is when someone else door dings my car in a parking lot. I spend a lot of money on my car and take some amount of pride in it's upkeep. It does really tick me off that someone has such little consideration as to slam their car door into mine hard enough to knock paint from the door. When we arrived home this trip, not only had someone in a white car opened their door into mine leaving a scratch mark, but they apparently sat back down in the car with the door still placed into mine so as to make a scratching motion up and down a couple of times. It left a really large mark that, fortunately, I was able to buff back out. Try as I might I just can't keep from getting really ticked off about this lack of consideration for other people's property.

Fortunately, on a cruise, I don't have to worry so much about door dings on my car. At least not until I get home. ;)

The first night we choose the seats we wish to be seated at for the entire length of the cruise. And yes, we do get upset if we arrive for dinner the second night and our table mates are in our seats. Maybe I'm old fashioned but that's the way it is.

This is a new one for me.

Is this really a big deal?

I guess I should just try for a two person table.

I'll bet my wife will swap seets with me:)

I always thought that formal wear guidelines were for the ladies and gentlemen of the cruise and when on a cruise I always hope that the majority of guest adhere to the guidelines. However, I really don't think this applies to a 3 year old. Make sure he is clean and decent. Thats it.

Enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the outfits for the little one.

Thanks to everyone who provided helpful insight and advice. It looks like I'll probably try to get him a couple of little dress shirts and tie or two, although I probably better go with a bow tie instead of a long one. I can just imagine the lovely assortment of food stains that the long one would accumulate. Perhaps I should just go with a kilt. He already has one thanks to an uncle who lives in Scotland. I'm sure we'd probably get just as many looks from the kilt as from anything else.

I have to say that my first impression of cruisers is that they fall into two categories: those who just want to enjoy themselves and not inflict their problems on the rest of the world and those who are walking around with a chip on their shoulders looking for things to complain about.

Thanks to those of you in the first group for helping out.

Unless you can find shirts and ties that are very inexpensive, just buy one shirt and have it laundered. I think it costs around $3 to have a shirt laundered, it is what I have done for my son instead of purchasing and packing 2 shirts. Same thing with pants.

I haven't read through this whole thread (only up unitl my reply here) but I'd like to asssure you and anyone else reading through here that this is not typical of actual people on a cruise vacation. I don't know why people think they have a right to be so rude on a message board, but they certainly aren't the same in person. At least I hope not, I'd never leave my house again if I encountered a lot of people speaking the way some people write here (and on other message boards).

The staff in the dining room are very gracious and would hardly cause a commotion to upset the whole room by not allowing people not dressed appropriatley into the room. That some in society have digressed into the great unwashed is a pity, but I hardly fault the cruiseline. I'm not one who would enjoy being "enforced" by anyone, but then again, I don't have to worry about it because, like someone else has pointed out, myself and many others, dress according to what is politely requested.

Little boys look adorable in little tuxes or suits, but you will see a lot of them in shirtsleeves and a tie. That's the fact of the matter and nothing else stated here should make any difference to you, so ignore the rude remarks.

Everytime this issue comes up, I have the same answer saved, so if you read it once, no need to read it again....:)

We have been on several cruises with RCCL. I have health problems with legs and feet, cannot wear shoes because of swelling. The reason I don't wear slacks is simple, I'm numb from the knees down, thanks to diabetes, I cannot feel my legs and feet, and sometimes lose my balance and fall, at least with shorts I can see where my legs are going. Another bad thing with diabetes in the stage I have is the nueropathy.

Basically, you know what it's like when your leg fall asleep and it feels like needles and pins and you don't want to touch or have anything touch them. I have that 24/7 in both legs. They want to put me in a wheelchair, but I keep fighting it. After 3 heart attacks, plus the above. and only 47, I will enjoy myself and dress the way I choose.

I have always worn a nice shirt and dress SHORTS and SANDALS/MULES to dinner, on the formal nights I add a tie and sport coat! There were no people gasping and pointing, children crying, old ladies fainting, no security called. In fact some of the other men said if their wife would let them , they would come in shorts too!

C'mon people this is your vacation, ENJOY IT! Who are you out to impress, people you may never see again? Speaking of Formal Nights, you have people there from all over the world dressed in what they consider formal attire for their country, which may not be considered formal for your country.

People are taking this to the extreme on dining room attire. Wear what you would feel comfortable in a nice restuarant where you live.

When I was a policeman I wore uniform everyday, then had own company worn suit everyday, now retired, I wear what I want.

Now I will get off my soapbox and let the radicals on this site tear me apart. Then I will sit back and read their snide comments and shake my head and ask "Where were these idiots when I carried a gun?"

Have fun on your cruise, "Damn the torpedos and dinning room ahead!!"

So before you lump all people not dressed in slacks, suit and tie, they may have a valid reason why.

Thank you everyone for making me feel more relaxed about the "smart casual" attire. I am still trying to get my suitcase under 50 pounds so not having to worry about a 2nd coat is good news. I have heard so many wonderful things about RCI that I will look into them seriously. I just want to say again that I really enjoy putting on a suit, if for no other reason than the pictures. Couldn't care less what others wear, but will say that I love seeing people dress in their native attire. We had tablemates from India on our last cruise and their formal clothes were beautiful. I know this is really is off the thread, but does RCI have afternoon tea. We tried it on the Tahitian for the first time and loved it.

I am new to the cruising-thang. We will be taking a cruise with my in-laws next summer. We will be traveling with our 3-year-old son. I have noted the rather inflammatory thread regarding appropriate dress code for children on this site. I had assumed we would probably put our son in slacks and a button-down shirt for most evenings, but now I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing. My two questions are:

1. Is a button-down Aloha shirt inappropriate?

2. It sounded like slacks and a button-down shirt are NOT appropriate for the formal night. What can you suggest, short of renting a tux. My husband will be wearing a coat and tie but I wasn't sure if this was necessary for our son.

I read this whole thread last night and wasn't going to respond, but the more I read the more I think something needs to be said.

You are talking about a 3 year old. Formal wear for a male child of that age often includes short pants and high socks, with a jacket and tie. Children of that age often dress in fancy shorts and shirts and go to the most formal of events and no one says a thing.

Dress your child up and you will be fine.

The people that insist on telling you that it is inappropriate for a 3 year old to wear dress shorts simply do not understand how infants dress formally, but the key is that the clothing has to be dress clothing not play clothing.

For formal night, my 2 & 10 year old boys have suits (J C PENNEY the best place to get them cheap). If you don't want to mess with it, leave the kids in AO or babysitting for formal night, it may be easier.

Bu they should have at least a suit if they come for formal night, a shirt and pants isn't really formal enough for that one night.:D

I agree. My 10 yr old went on his first cruise last December and I went to Penney's and got him a suit with the works for under $75. It was really nice, double breasted, with tie, shirt and pants. I think it was a great deal.

Now I will get off my soapbox and let the radicals on this site tear me apart. Then I will sit back and read their snide comments and shake my head and ask "Where were these idiots when I carried a gun?"

Have fun on your cruise, "Damn the torpedos and dinning room ahead!!"

So before you lump all people not dressed in slacks, suit and tie, they may have a valid reason why.

Wow

You had my sympathy and understanding up until you wrote this statement. I will defend anyone with any disabilities or illness that prevents them from doing whatever it is they need to do. But, I'd never carry or threaten anyone with a gun. Who is really the radical here, anyway? Would you really use a gun against someone who just has a different opinion than you?

I think this is the very first time I have read of a gun when discussing or arguing dress code, scary.

***Official RCCL Announcement***

The carrying of guns into or around the dining room is stricty against dress code...they may fall into the soup. :confused: :confused:

***ADDENDUM***

Of course, and for obvious reasons, cruises originating in Texas will be excluded from said policy.:D :eek:

Right. The one chick wanted to know what was appropriate for her son, and then I asked just how formal a dress should be for me to wear. I'm sorry, but my lifestyle doesn't call for dressing up, sadly. I do like to dress to the nines, (and I'm also nice to boot, so it's a great package <g>) I just never have the opportunity. I'm a mountain girl! That's when someone had to have a tizzy sending a post about what don't we understand about FORMAL. Ya know, I was just making sure. I had one dress in mind and then after talking to people, I realized that dress just wasn't dressy enough. So that would give me options BEFORE I came on the cruise. Actually, it isn't worth it anyway. I'm going to leave ALL dresses at home, and bring my dirty scuzzy shorts I guess, and eat somewhere else, where they left all pretention back at home.

Mary

Mary, I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise when you board the ship. The majority of people are very nice, friendly and enjoy getting to know other people from around the US, Canada and the rest of the world. Tha majority of people on a cruise ship do not even know about Cruise Critic, or other message boards similar to it.

I can only speak for myself, but my family would love to meet a mountain girl, someone whose life is so very different from our own.

I suppose the only people I'd not be happy to meet would be those who would want to threaten me (or anyone else) with a gun :D (see my last post).

Geez - there's really no need to yell or come down so strongly here. Nowhere in this civilized discussion did anyone say they were thinking of breaking the dress code (maybe you meant to reply to the other, more contrary, thread that's running on this board now).

Newbies were simply asking for guidelines, and those who replied gave examples of what's appropriate attire for both formal and non-formal nights. They don't deserve this kind of harsh reaction

Relax.

Relax is right...Heide needs to chill out. On one crusie my husband's hanging bag was left at the dock....all of his long pants, shirts and suit was in that darn bag as well as his dress shoes....there were no trousers to fit him on to purchase or rent.....when you are 6'6" it can be a little tough. He worn jeans on the ship and he wore them every night including formal night....the laundry was very good about getting them back to us on a timely basis when we sent them in....so was my husband supposed to forego FORMAL night because he wasn't dressed as some thought he should be? And for the record I didn't get all dressed up either......and ya know what not a soul got up from the table and left. We often see men in various forms of dress from kilts, to tunic style suits and once a man with a skirt thing....like a beach wrap but the material was very intricately woven and obviously very expensive. He looked terrific!

Thanks to everyone who provided helpful insight and advice. It looks like I'll probably try to get him a couple of little dress shirts and tie or two, although I probably better go with a bow tie instead of a long one. I can just imagine the lovely assortment of food stains that the long one would accumulate. Perhaps I should just go with a kilt. He already has one thanks to an uncle who lives in Scotland. I'm sure we'd probably get just as many looks from the kilt as from anything else.

I have to say that my first impression of cruisers is that they fall into two categories: those who just want to enjoy themselves and not inflict their problems on the rest of the world and those who are walking around with a chip on their shoulders looking for things to complain about.

Thanks to those of you in the first group for helping out.

He would be precious in the kilt! Be sure and post a pic if you dress him in one--I for one would enjoy seeing it. Have a great cruise!

So would you all say that the majority of women dress in long or short dresses on formal night? My in-laws usually wear dressy pantsuits, but I'm not a pants kind of gal, no matter how dressy they are. Since I'll have to buy something for the trip anyway, I might as well ask what the majority seems to do.

I wore a black cocktail dress with beading around the neckline which worked just great. Bought it at JCP during one of their regular big sales--think I ended up paying about $40!! :D

Archived