Passport expidite service

JuneauMe

Hello All,

I read on the boards that there are some expidite services that are more reliable than others. I tried the search function, but too much info comes up. Can anyone advise on which company is reputable.

Donna

The government will expedite it for you for an additional $80 (I think, it may be 60), thats probably your safest bet.

Hi All,

This is a long, and sad story, so I wont bother you with the details. My DS lost her drivers lic. yesterday. We called all the places we were, but no luck. NYC will not give you a new photo ID any faster than 3-4 weeks, just a temp with no photo. That means my sis has no photo ID for the cruise. We have made an appointment for the NYC passport agency, and we have our cruise tickets for 9/23. The reps on the phone were very nice and told us that we should be able to get the passport expidited. I'm just really worried, cause all you need is some pissy agent at the place, and things could go badly. Thanks for your help.

Donna

Assuming you called the NY Passport office, you should be okay. See the rules here:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html

We did this a few years ago and got our passports in a few hours at the New Orleans office. Should be the same in NY.

Make sure you read over all the rules and have the right paperwork when you go.

Assuming you called the NY Passport office, you should be okay. Make sure you read over all the rules and have the right paperwork when you go.

Thanks,

One more question, I'm a little confused it says "it is recomended that overnight delivery should be arranged for sending application and for recieving passport " Is that something we do (like bring a Fed Ex envelope) before we go into the place, or do They do it while we are there (for yet another fee of course)... or do the give us the forms ( I know they seal the original envelope )and we bring that envelope to Fed Ex? I do want to make sure that I have everything ready to roll. Our appointment is 8:30 am, and yes there is a small chance that we will get it while we are there.

Thanks again,

Donna

Hi All,

This is a long, and sad story, so I wont bother you with the details. My DS lost her drivers lic. yesterday. We called all the places we were, but no luck. NYC will not give you a new photo ID any faster than 3-4 weeks, just a temp with no photo. That means my sis has no photo ID for the cruise. We have made an appointment for the NYC passport agency, and we have our cruise tickets for 9/23. The reps on the phone were very nice and told us that we should be able to get the passport expidited. I'm just really worried, cause all you need is some pissy agent at the place, and things could go badly. Thanks for your help.

Donna

In order to get a passport you need to present a DL, a government issued photo ID, or a Military ID. If you don't have a valid photo ID you have to have someone with you that can vouch for you. This person will have a valid acceptable ID and will fill out a form in the presence of the passport office official.

This means that you cannot use a passport service, you need to go directly to a passport office to do this. A post office location accepts the paperwork and then mails it to a passport office, so that I think even expediting it won't work in this particular case..

Thanks,

One more question, I'm a little confused it says "it is recomended that overnight delivery should be arranged for sending application and for recieving passport " Is that something we do (like bring a Fed Ex envelope) before we go into the place, or do They do it while we are there (for yet another fee of course)... or do the give us the forms ( I know they seal the original envelope )and we bring that envelope to Fed Ex? I do want to make sure that I have everything ready to roll. Our appointment is 8:30 am, and yes there is a small chance that we will get it while we are there.

Thanks again,

Donna

Donna, did you use an expedite company or did you call the passport agency directly?

The government will expedite it for you for an additional $80 (I think, it may be 60), thats probably your safest bet.

The cost for expedited service is $60 per application plus overnight delivery cost besides the cost of the passport. It is the passport agency itself that has the expedited service. Here is a link to the State Department - passports on how to get your passport quickly:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html

there are two forms of exp' service to get you passport

the first is what's on the state dept page - you pay a little extra and they process your package faster. And you can include a fedex mailer to speed the return (altho I did that last time and the passport still returned via US mail.....but in plenty of time so no foul I guess)

The second option is a bit more involved. Pay an expediter.... If you look farther at the .gov page you'll see that it is possible to make an appointment and get a passport in ONE DAY.... (I just sent one of my empl' to UK in an emergent situation - they drove to DC and got the passport in 1 day with an appt) But you end up spending a very long day there. What isn't obvious is that YOU don't have to be the one who goes....all the forms must be correct and notorized and all that. You can pay a party to do the dirty work for you - this is completely legal.

Search the WEB or look in your Yellow Pages. You will find listings. Expect to PAY for this .... but it can be done.

I have personal, recent experience with this as my purse was stolen 7/21/06 and our cruise left on 8/24/06. I went to my County Clerk's office (having gotten a listing of all the nearby passport offices and their hours). I took my husband to vouch for my presence, but I also had an old expired passport from my teenage years, which according to the State Dept website would not work because I was younger than 16 when it was issued, and it was issued more than 9 years ago (or something esoteric like that). I got a really good worker who looked through a thick manual to figure out what had to be done. She took my old passport as proof of identity, but the worker called me the next business day to say that the Los Angeles office wasn't accepting this. She asked if I had the printout from DMV saying that I had applied for a replacement license, and I faxed this to her. I paid extra for expedited service, but didn't do anything to expedite the mailing. TWO WEEKS LATER, to the day, my passport arrived.

Thank you all,

We set out on our adventure at 8:30 am friday (tomorrow) I have what I believe are all the forms and ID that will be required of us. Our trip is 9/23, so we are going to be praying like mad that this works out well. The nice CS rep said that it may be possable to get it while we are there (and yes he said it would be a looong day) but that he felt confident that it would be no more than 3 days. I will post the results of our big adventure, as I can only thank all who advised us by giving you all the follow up. If any of you know the patron saint of passports...please say a prayer. I've been praying to St Christopher (patron Saint of travelers, but without the passport, we wont be traveling, LOL)

Thanks again,

Donna

Donna - hope all goes well for you!!

Just to clarify for others...there are 2 ways to expedite your passport ( I have had to do both)....one is to go to an authorized passport agent such as a Post Office. You can find these on the gov website by doing a zip code search and specifying mileage parameters. You will have to pay the passport fee and then $60 over that for the expedited service. You will also have to pay for delivery service both ways (paperwork to the gov and then passport to you). You should be able to fill out and pay for this with the agent verifying your docs.You can receive your passport in 14 business days this way. Of course you will need all required documention and photos which has been discussed.

There are also official Passport Agencies throughout the country. These do NOT always show up in the search mentioned above (my local one does not)but rather are found in a seperate link on the webpage. You can actually receive your passport here the day you go in. Again you have to pay the $60 expedite fee on top of the passport fee. If it is crowded and you can't wait then there is also the option of paying fed ex to have your passport delivered to your home the next day. You MUST be traveling in 2 weeks or less to do this and bring proof of such (plane or cruise tickets). Most of these offices require an appointment now so you should definetly check that out and call first. The appt does not mean that you don't have to wait in a long line or will be seen at that time as it seems they book lots of people but they won't let you in if your name is not on that list. Again, you will need all the required doc's and photos.

We have the passport. It was a long day, but well worth it. To anyone who finds themselves in this predicament. Follow the instructions that all these nice people provided, and have all you docs and ducks in a row, and you can get yourself a passport in an emergency. Thank you all.

Donna

Glad to see it all worked out for you. If anyone reads this in the future, it should be pointed out that you went to a FEDERAL GOVT office to get this done. There are people that "help" you out to get expedited passorts with extra fees. That is different.

Archived