Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline, Hotwire, etc.

sunlover5

Exactly and very good point. This is why I recommend her to use hotwire for the Sheraton since she could get upgraded bidding for a 3* with priceline to a Resort. Using hotwire would be best IMO to get the Sheraton.

Your postings and helpful attitude are wonderful:)

Just thought I would tell you that and hope it comes back

around when you need assistance one day.:)

Your postings and helpful attitude are wonderful:)

Just thought I would tell you that and hope it comes back

around when you need assistance one day.:)

Thanks for the kinds words. These boards have proven to be a wealth of knowledge for me over the years and have saved me a ton of money. Times are really hard for folks right now, and extra charges such as transportation and pre/post cruise hotels do make a big difference regarding total cost for a cruise, or better yet if you can afford to even vacation. So if I can help save a buck or two, then I am more than willing to help.

I feel very fortunate to be able to even travel at this point given the economy. I once had a person comment to me on tripadvisor that they'd never recommend others to use priceline or hotwire for vacationing since you wouldn't know your hotel upfront. While that is true, I responded that for some, this is the only way they'd be able to afford to go. The point is, things are really tight for some right now, and while I'd love to stay at the Four Seasons or Mandarin Orientals on every vacation, unfortunately that's not financially possible for me.

So for those willing to do their research, being frugal can really pay off big without sacraficing hotel quality. And while I do not use priceline or hotwire on all my vacations, when I have a set budget and not alot of wiggle room (which lately has been the case), then for sure priceline and hotwire are my options.

So I hope others feel the same warmth and willingness to assist those in need of help. :)

Happy bidding everyone! :D

Thanks for the kinds words. These boards have proven to be a wealth of knowledge for me over the years and have saved me a ton of money. Times are really hard for folks right now, and extra charges such as transportation and pre/post cruise hotels do make a big difference regarding total cost for a cruise, or better yet if you can afford to even vacation. So if I can help save a buck or two, then I am more than willing to help.

I feel very fortunate to be able to even travel at this point given the economy. I once had a person comment to me on tripadvisor that they'd never recommend others to use priceline or hotwire for vacationing since you wouldn't know your hotel upfront. While that is true, I responded that for some, this is the only way they'd be able to afford to go. The point is, things are really tight for some right now, and while I'd love to stay at the Four Seasons or Mandarin Orientals on every vacation, unfortunately that's not financially possible for me.

So for those willing to do their research, being frugal can really pay off big without sacraficing hotel quality. And while I do not use priceline or hotwire on all my vacations, when I have a set budget and not alot of wiggle room (which lately has been the case), then for sure priceline and hotwire are my options.

So I hope others feel the same warmth and willingness to assist those in need of help. :)

Happy bidding everyone! :D

Oh, I agree with you! Those hotels are not in my budget

and will never be~and as long as I know I am bidding on a

3 or 4 star property I am aok:). I got the Westin in Dowtown

Seattle last year and again for this coming Sept:D

I got Interncontinental in Isle Verde for this coming January

too. All for under 107.00:D I am happy too!

Last year I bid for a precruise hotel, resort and got the El San Juan...great place!

However, we rented a car for 24 hours and ended up in Old San Juan most of the time.

Didn't really have much time to enjoy the pool/beach/etc

So...now this year...I booked the Sheraton in Old San Juan precruise to party and tour

the city...meet up with cruise critc friends...

And the Intercontinential for post cruise to relax, enjoy the beach and "decompress"

before we go home.

I used priceline for a "resort" hotel (because as last poster said, they are all nice

places) and www dot hotelplusportel dot com to book a cheap rate at the Sheraton

in Old San Juan.

Kay

Have never used Priceline before but was really encouraged by everything I have read here. Thank you cruise critic!!!

1 Room - 2 Nights, February 7, 8, 2010

Bid Zone #6 San Juan

Star Level - Resorts

Bid - $91.00

Accepted - additional $29 taxes and fees

This is such a great price for a really nice hotel. We just wanted to enjoy some warm weather and relax before heading back home to winter.

Hi, I've never used Priceline before, and want to give it a try..

Can anyone confirm whether you can extend the number of nights AFTER the hotel name has been given? Does this have to be done immediately, or can you extend nights at a later date?

Also if you do extend the nights, do they have to be consecutive?

I need pre and post cruise hotels, and am trying to figure it out..thanks

Hi, I've never used Priceline before, and want to give it a try..

Can anyone confirm whether you can extend the number of nights AFTER the hotel name has been given? Does this have to be done immediately, or can you extend nights at a later date?

Also if you do extend the nights, do they have to be consecutive?

I need pre and post cruise hotels, and am trying to figure it out..thanks

Yes you can extended your nights once you win your bid, however, it has to be done right away, and the dates must be consecutive.

Hope this helps!

Bid 4 star resort in the san juan area. You can't be guaranteed that you will get the Intercontinental but that seems to be the one out there right now. If they don't accept your first offer, rebid, now checking an area that doesn't have a 4 star hotel and up your offer by 5.

For those of you who have used priceline and got the intercontinetal, did they charge you a resort fee? If so, how much? What surprises can I expect?

This is how I bid for my room -

Area #6 San Juan

Star Level - Resort

It was accepted on the first bid, so no rebidding for me. I would have probably just waited the 24 hours and tried again.

Our room is $91 and the fees are $13.49/room per night. Also I have read there will be a 14% resort fee at the hotel. Based on the rate you paid.

Thanks for all the info.I'm really excited about trying priceline.Just one last question. I need two rooms - one definately for two and the other for two or three(not sure if my son is coming) Should I just put two and call the hotel if we are going to be three in the room?

Priceline rooms can accommadate 2 people, so my advice would be to call the hotel once you win your bid and request two double beds. This way if your son does decide to come last minute, you won't have any issues with 3 people sleeping in a king bed. Keep in mind though that bedding types are not guaranteed, however, most hotels do try to accommadate these types of request if at all possible.

Not sure if they charge extra for a 3rd person, but if they do IMO (and others may disgree) but what they don't know won't hurt them. As long as you're not fire hazard waiting to happen (i.e. 5 or more people to a standard room) then I'd keep a tight lip on the 3rd person if they are going to charge you extra. But this is my 2 cents.

Priceline bid accepted for 1 night - Feb. 5, 2010

San Juan - Resorts

Intercontinental

$91.00 plus $18.07 taxes = total $109.07

:)

Congratulations:D I am staying there in January!

Priceline winning bid

Saturday 2/6/10- Sunday 2/7/10

San Juan, PR

Resort

$91.00 bid

Taxes and service fees: $17.93

Total $108.93

Intercontinental

I know the hotel will make us pay the resort fee when we check in. We've stayed there before.