How stict is the "dress code" on Zenith?

floffsmgr

Somewhere we read that the 10 day cruise we have booked on 3/23/07 has three formal nights, two informal and the rest casual. My husband doesn't like to get dressed up any more and is not too thrilled about this to the point where he wants to cancel the trip. But he always looks neat, wears collared shirts and slacks (not jeans) and doesn't mind a tie and jacket now and then . On prior cruises (not Celebrity, this is our first with them) even when we dressed up for dinner, we usually changed into casual clothes immediately after dining. Will we be okay with this approach on Celebrity's Zenith, or should we look for some other cruiseline that is more relaxed? :confused:

This is becoming a great debate with us right now!! Help!!!!

I hate to inform you, but this subject has been discussed with great ardor on these boards. There are zealots on both sides of the arguement. Even though opinions vary, following the cruise lines rules should apply. Check out previous dress code threads.

Somewhere we read that the 10 day cruise we have booked on 3/23/07 has three formal nights, two informal and the rest casual. My husband doesn't like to get dressed up any more and is not too thrilled about this to the point where he wants to cancel the trip. But he always looks neat, wears collared shirts and slacks (not jeans) and doesn't mind a tie and jacket now and then . On prior cruises (not Celebrity, this is our first with them) even when we dressed up for dinner, we usually changed into casual clothes immediately after dining. Will we be okay with this approach on Celebrity's Zenith, or should we look for some other cruiseline that is more relaxed? :confused:

Celebrity dailies state the dress code is to be observed in all public areas of the ship with the exception of the casual dining boulevard (pool deck). There have been reported occurences of people being turned away from either dining room or shows. I personally have seen someone who changed after dinner turned away from the show on one of my Celebrity cruises. I'm not saying that this happens on every cruise, but be aware that it does occasionally happen. There is alternative casual dining for dinner (reservations requested - it is a sit down meal not buffet) and you can also order room service off the dining room menu during normal dining hours.

Celebrity dailies state the dress code is to be observed in all public areas of the ship with the exception of the casual dining boulevard (pool deck). There have been reported occurences of people being turned away from either dining room or shows. I personally have seen someone who changed after dinner turned away from the show on one of my Celebrity cruises. I'm not saying that this happens on every cruise, but be aware that it does occasionally happen. There is alternative casual dining for dinner (reservations requested - it is a sit down meal not buffet) and you can also order room service off the dining room menu during normal dining hours.

I agree with Hajek, Celebrity seems to be uneven fleetwide in enforcing the code. The most improtant point in that post is that it Could happen that you may be refused entry to the dining room or other venues. Enjoy your cruise.

Will we be okay with this approach on Celebrity's Zenith, or should we look for some other cruiseline that is more relaxed? :confused:

IME, the vast majority of X passengers dress for dinner as requested and stay that way, also requested as dress is for the evening, not for dinner only.

Since this is truly a concern of yours, I personally suggest looking at a cruise line that offers a casual dress code. X is known for being a more formal and traditional cruise line and, honestly, it does not sound a good fit for you.

One of the reasons I - and many X repeaters - choose X is that the passengers do follow the dress code for the evening.

IME, the vast majority of X passengers dress for dinner as requested and stay that way, also requested as dress is for the evening, not for dinner only.

Since this is truly a concern of yours, I personally suggest looking at a cruise line that offers a casual dress code. X is known for being a more formal and traditional cruise line and, honestly, it does not sound a good fit for you.

One of the reasons I - and many X repeaters - choose X is that the passengers do follow the dress code for the evening.

Ditto! Well said!

We just returned from the SEPT. 3rd cruise on the INFINITY and the dress code was the worst i have ever seen on a cruise.

We had guys dressed in jeans on all the nights, yes i said all the nights including formal.

Nobody got turned away from any venue, period.

I wouln't worry about getting to dressed up, i would just take a jacket and tie and you would be ok.

JIM

The number who follow the dress code,while significant,is definately eroding. The "purists" amoungst us posters who would like to see it continue can try discourage others such as the thread-starter from sailing Celebrity.But like good manners and proper speech,the dress code appears to be going the way of the typewriter.

Because Celebrity suggests dress codes yet enforced them inconsistantly ,you can expect further deterioration in the manner in which all are dressed.

It's funny. One poster recently described 'Informal" as the way one would go to churh on Sunday.It made me wonder if they had looked around recently.There too,dress has deteriorated.

The problem on cruise ships then further worsens as the casual becomes downright sloppy at the low end.I expect to see PJs and boxers in the dining room soon.

There is a place for casual--the Xpedition to the Galapagos for example.But those of us who would like to see a touch of class on luxury liners are a dying breed. The new majority simply doesn't want it, and in the end it's all about corporate numbers.

There is a place for casual--the Xpedition to the Galapagos for example.But those of us who would like to see a touch of class on luxury liners are a dying breed. The new majority simply doesn't want it, and in the end it's all about corporate numbers.

I have to agree with you but prefer to be in denial :( as I find the entire situation very sad. So much of the appeal of cruising for me personally has been the evening experience, with a lovely dinner at the center of that; soon cruising will be no more special than the everyday world.

I'm just a dinosaur...

I have to agree with you but prefer to be in denial :( as I find the entire situation very sad. So much of the appeal of cruising for me personally has been the evening experience, with a lovely dinner at the center of that; soon cruising will be no more special than the everyday world.

I'm just a dinosaur...

There must be a lot of us "dinosaurs" on Celebrity cruises since the vast majority observe the dress code so much so that you notice those that don't.

I have noticed that Celebrity has had to resort to using the word "required" when describing the dress code in the daily.

I'm just a dinosaur...

It is sad...but true. A vacation should be a change of pace. Our lives at home have become very casual and that is not a bad thing,but part of the change of pace on a cruise vacation should allow for the "fanasy" of elegant dress on two nights.I like putting on my tux,accompanied by my beautiful wife and being mistaken for Sean Connery's 007. :)

I hate to inform you, but this subject has been discussed with great ardor on these boards. There are zealots on both sides of the arguement. Even though opinions vary, following the cruise lines rules should apply. Check out previous dress code threads.

the OP is a new poster and most likely hasn't read the past answers. NMNita

First off, as long as jeans are not your question what you wear is pretty much up to you. No, he is not really abiding by the dress code but he is close enough. If he wears a jacket and tie no one will care whether he is wearing a suit or tux or whatever. As for changing into casual after dinner: no one will stop you. No, Celebrity prefers you stay in your nicey nice clothes but you will see some change. Do we change? NO, not on Celebrity; on other lines it depends. The most important thing is you are neat, not in jeans or t shirts and look nice. Now from some of the comments you have read on here, maybe you would be happier with a cruise line that doesn't put so much into whether you dress formally. I wonder what some of these people are going to do when the dress code goes strictly casual and the traditional dining turns to some form or personal choice. It will be interesting. NMnita

I agree with Hajek, Celebrity seems to be uneven fleetwide in enforcing the code. The most improtant point in that post is that it Could happen that you may be refused entry to the dining room or other venues. Enjoy your cruise.

I don't think, from what she is saying she would ever be refused entry into anything. We had someone at our table on our last Zenith cruise who did wear a sport jacket but had a regular T Shirt under it. No one refused him service: Jeans, yes, people were being turned away. Do we follow the recommended dress for the evening? yes, but you are seeing less and less dressing up and more dressing down. NMnita

It sounds like you will be fine. I believe more celebrity clients like to get dressed up, but I think your husband will be fine. By your post it sounds like you might be older? There is an age limit that defies dress code!:) If your past the limit, you are excused. Go and have fun!:D

One thing I know about dress codes..... When I get old, I think I will always dress well, but... If if I don't and I'm at least 75 yrs old.....ya'll can all.......stop worryin' I ain't changin! LOL:) And why should we? You make it that long and you've got a pass from me. I expect a pass when I get there!!!

I'm sailing the Zenith in 2 weeks and am going to dress up every night however I was planning on maybe wearing dressy jeans the kind with rhinestone trim during the day on the ship. Is it OK to go into the main restaurant or should I plan on eating at the casual eating choices? In all my sailing experience which has been vast I have never come across a strict enforcement of a no jeans in the dining room policy nor have I felt uncomfortable about wearing them during the day. I haven't sailed on Celebrity in about 16 years so I'm really asking ahead to know what to pack.

Thanks for your input from those of you who have sailed the Zenith.

Vickiicon11.gif

The number who follow the dress code,while significant,is definately eroding. The "purists" amoungst us posters who would like to see it continue can try discourage others such as the thread-starter from sailing Celebrity.But like good manners and proper speech,the dress code appears to be going the way of the typewriter.

Because Celebrity suggests dress codes yet enforced them inconsistantly ,you can expect further deterioration in the manner in which all are dressed.

We just got off a 7 day Zenith:

First let me say, we always adhere to dress code.

What I observed: Formal night: Probably 5% of men in tuxes, most in nice dark suits, but again another 5% in sports jacket/nice pants. Perhaps 20% of women in full length gowns, but marjority in cocktail dresses or gauzy pants with the beaded top look.

Probably 80% resorted to wearing casual attire after the late dinner seating in the casiono area or public lounges. And I noticed this in particular because I stayed in my formal attire and felt a bit out of place!! By casual attire I mean: cutoffs, jeans, shorts etc. is what I saw. So X is definitely not enforcing certain things.

There was one informal night and about 50% complied with the sports jacket/tie nice pants look. Women seemed compliant--didn't notice anything out of place, but again--after late dinner seating people were noted to changed into a daytime attire.

Casual attire for the other 4 nights ran the gamut to following the "dresscode" to what one might see during the daytime on the ship.

At no time, did I personally see anyone being denied entrance to a show or dinner or any other public place due to attire.

I'm sailing the Zenith in 2 weeks and am going to dress up every night however I was planning on maybe wearing dressy jeans the kind with rhinestone trim during the day on the ship. Is it OK to go into the main restaurant or should I plan on eating at the casual eating choices? In all my sailing experience which has been vast I have never come across a strict enforcement of a no jeans in the dining room policy nor have I felt uncomfortable about wearing them during the day. I haven't sailed on Celebrity in about 16 years so I'm really asking ahead to know what to pack.

Thanks for your input from those of you who have sailed the Zenith.

Vickiicon11.gif

you have been lucky, I have seen people turned away on both the NCL Sun and the Celebrity Zenith for jeans, I don't care how dressy they are. Now, during the day, that is a totally different situration. Of course you can wear them anywhere on the ship during the day. NMnita

Archived