Just back from Mercury--huge disappointment...

ParrotTops

A number of years ago, we sailed on Zenith for a Christmas cruise. It was okay, but nothing very special. In spite of that, we sailed on her the following year for a New Year's cruise. It was dreadful, so we crossed Celebrity off our list.

Then last year, there was a great itinerary on Infinity that we decided to do. We felt it was time to give Celebrity another try on a different ship.

Well, what a difference! Infinity was wonderful. The ship, the service, the crew, the food were all over the top!! The only thing we missed was the Concierge Lounge that we usually have on RCCL.

We will now happily cruise on either line. Both lines have their strong and weak points, but for my money, I will get on any Celebrity or RCCL ship any day going any where.

... but how can one say RCCL food is great and Celebrity's awfull?:confused:

I can say that the buffet on our Jewel of the Seas sailing was far better than that on our Mercury sailing. Items on JOS were fresher, tasted better, presentation was cleaner and passenger flow throughout the buffet area was excellent. I realize that Merc is an older ship, but the flow in the Palm Springs cafe was so laughably bad we avoided it as much as possible after the first few days.

The dining room is an altogether different story, though. Service and food quality in Merc's Manhattan Restaurant was uniformly quite good during our entire sailing; Here, RCCL really doesn't compare well to X at all (nor should anyone expect it to).

Elana--this was the first time we used any cruise lines custom air. I prefer to book my own because I can choose which times I want and what airline (so I can use my advantage points) but this time I decided to go with custom air. You have to wait until just before the cruise to find out what the flight arrangements are--and then switch flight times if you want different times, etc. and they will charge you to make the changes if you are not Elite.

The advantage to booking thru the cruise line is that if something goes wrong with the flight--its late, etc, they are respondsible to get you to the ship.

Celebrity now has a valet luggage program also which was wonderful. You put your luggage out your cabin door the night before and then it miraculously appears the next day at your final destination. We used this program on RCCL last year when we cruised in Europe. The only problem this time with Celebrity is that they did not issus us a correct boarding pass and when we got to the airport, we did not have any assigned seats

which took a while to straighten out.

Hope that helps...

Elana--this was the first time we used any cruise lines custom air. I prefer to book my own because I can choose which times I want and what airline (so I can use my advantage points) but this time I decided to go with custom air. You have to wait until just before the cruise to find out what the flight arrangements are--and then switch flight times if you want different times, etc. and they will charge you to make the changes if you are not Elite.

The advantage to booking thru the cruise line is that if something goes wrong with the flight--its late, etc, they are respondsible to get you to the ship.

Celebrity now has a valet luggage program also which was wonderful. You put your luggage out your cabin door the night before and then it miraculously appears the next day at your final destination. We used this program on RCCL last year when we cruised in Europe. The only problem this time with Celebrity is that they did not issus us a correct boarding pass and when we got to the airport, we did not have any assigned seats

Hope that helps...

Even if you book air through the cruise line they are not responsible to get you to the ship. It very clearly states that in documents, on their website, etc. You will have a much better chance of getting to the ship or next stop if you book through them but they are under no requirement to do so.

Thank you for an honest assessment of your cruise.

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your cruise!

I have been on many cruises and agree...some were really great and others - not so good. Sometimes, it's the first thing that happens to you that can set the tone for you. We had one cabin where the stewardess did not clean one of the bathrooms - ever (Disney has 2 bathrooms in the cabin). The supr. we spoke with had a different excuse everyday. We tried to not let it get us down but she went from bad to worse.

Yet, on a Carnival cruise - we had the best wait staff that I have ever had. His name was Simba and he went out of his way to make each passenger feel special.

I have run the gambet with good cruises and poor ones - Everyone has a different opion but unless you were with the person and had the EXACT same experience - telling someone they are wrong about the good or bad solves nothing.

We were on Infinty (first time Celebrity) last October when we recieved a knock at the door about 11 p.m. at night. A gentleman was at the door and announced that he was there to close our blinds for us. Our cabin was on the front of the ship right under the bridge. My thought was WOW! Celebrity treatment - they even come close the blinds for you! Then it occured to me..how do they know our blinds were open? His answer? The light from the cabin was disturbing the Captain on the bridge. Since they sit in darkness..we were obstructing the his watch on the horizon.

I hope you try another ship in the Celebrity line - we have only been on Infinity and will be going on Summit in a few months. Where ever you cruise - I hope your next one is better for you.

Desiree

I was on the Mercury to Alaska (8/25) (Hi, Pookie-the -Sailor, how is your first mate mending?) and enjoyed it a lot.

This was only my third cruise, but thought the food was better than the other 2 lines (NCL and RC). And I really know food! Yes, it was not perfect, but I did not expect it to be. I reserved the Zenith to Bermuda, while onboard, for Aug 07, and have been checking out other lines to that area since I have been back. My husband and I realize that we actually prefer the limited dining options over the freestyle options, because on NCL there were too many choices (and I really want to "check my brain at the door " when on vacation, regarding decision-making.) On RC we just did not think the main dining room food was very good.

And on Mercury, there seemed to be just the right amount of activities at any given moment so that I did not get crazy having to decide between them as to what to do at any given moment.

But these differences of opinion in cruising make it all interesting.

........very easily. I much preferred the food on RCCL but then my last cruise with them was 4 years ago. Celebrity food, in my opinion, is very bland and typically way overcooked. I can't tell you how many tasteless rubber lobsters were sent back from our table on each of our Celebrity cruises.

It does come down what you have experienced in the past and perhaps some peoples tastes and expectations are a tad higher than others.

Pecoraro,

You are right about the lobster on Celebrity, or as they were called at our table "lubester". I can assure they have not changed a bit over the last four years. I also experienced the same thing on our Celebrity cruise. On all of our cruises we always have more than one, but on my last cruise one "lubester" was way too much! We did not bother to send them back and I am now wondering if it did any good. Please let us know after sending them back, if the second batch was any better.

ParrotTpps, Thanks for posting your opinion on this thread. It does give all cruisers the chance to see different views and not just the opinion of some.

Pecoraro,

You are right about the lobster on Celebrity, or as they were called at our table "lubester". I can assure they have not changed a bit over the last four years. I also experienced the same thing on our Celebrity cruise. On all of our cruises we always have more than one, but on my last cruise one "lubester" was way too much! We did not bother to send them back and I am now wondering if it did any good. Please let us know after sending them back, if the second batch was any better.

ParrotTpps, Thanks for posting your opinion on this thread. It does give all cruisers the chance to see different views and not just the opinion of some.[/quote

I guess it's the luck of the draw. I've been on 13 Celebrity cruises & have had great lobster on every one of them; & never witnessed anyone else at our table sending theirs back either. Now, their pancakes are another story! They're consistently the worst! Maybe it's just a matter of different strokes.......

I think the diversity of reactions to lobster aboard a Celebrity Ship is more a factor of what passengers are use to than the lobster itself. When I was growing up on the North Shore of LI, the best seafood restaurants only served Maine Lobster which I loved. The same holds true for Southern Connecticut where we now live. The type of lobster that is served on a Celebrity ship is very different from a Maine lobster, but that doesn't mean it is not good for what it is. However, since I am a Maine lobster lover, I don't like the lobster you get on a ship and will order something else when it is on the Menu. Ironically, a good Maine lobster is one of my favorite foods in the world.

I stepped off the Mercury last Friday morning (the 22nd) and wished I could have stayed on. This was my first cruise with Celebrity and was very impressed (I'm writing up a review now.) Though this is only my 3rd cruise (1st with Princess and 2nd with Carnival) I have to say that the food on the Merc was good to very good, and the service couldn't have been better. Met some great staff, and cruisemates, and left the cruise satisfied that I got my money's worth.

Dave

Hope that helps...

Friends that we are cruising with in November booked their custom air in July and were given their flight assignments within a few days. I thought that was unusual, given what I have read on these boards, and what you confirmed here.

I have to agree with you. I'm a New Englander and I grew up on cold water lobster......The warm water ones are fine, just different. Plus the fact that the only real good lobster is fresh lobster. Freezing the lobster is what gives it a bit of a rubbery appearance, not necessarily the over cooking of it.I have had plenty of overcooked lobsters at lobster bakes and they are simply dried out and stringy.

So unless X is willing to fill up the pool with live lobsters I don't think too much is going to change. I for one think the lobster is fine for what it is, although I'd prefer to see the folks in their best duds eat a whole lobster; bib and all...then they might appreciate the tail a bit more, if its it a bit rubbery.

Dave:eek:

We are on Mercury, Christmas, 2006, MIA-SAN

I have been on Mercury many times but I will say this; If I have

problems with anything, I mention it to someone who can correct it.

Twice I have gone to the captain to complain and of course he sent

me to the person who could really correct it.

I do not think every cruise is perfect. If the service is poor, change

tables.

I make my own travel arrangements, do not do anything with the

cruiseline except the cruise. No excursions or transfers.

I can go on a better excursion with a private company or with my

own car. But that is just my own opinion.

I have had overall great experiences with Celebrity, I prefer the

smaller ships to the larger.

Hi...

I could be wrong....and correct me if I am...were you on the Mercury in March? did we meet you one morning in the store possible purchasing wine in San Diego? If so, Hello again!

We were the two guys ( Dave and John that spoke to you and your wife ( you and your husband ) that morning, when they couldn't sell liquor until 8:00 or some strange time.

If you are, once again HI!, if not, Hi anyway...drop us a line:) .

Dave:eek:

We have been on many different cruise lines and have never had lobster that was not tasty, until my last Ceelbrity cruise. On all of the other cruises that I have been on I did not notice the pools being full of live lobster, but I may have missed it. I am not lucky enough to live in New England but I have had, what I thought, were great dinners using frozen lobsters. The lobster we were served on Celebrity were not over cooked they were just had no taste whatsoever and had no texture.

We just got off the Mercury this morning. It was our first Celebrity cruise, 29th cruise overall (in six years).

On the drive home my husband said that he would never go on the Mercury again! On the other hand, I would not hesitate to book a cruise on this particular ship. Isn't it funny how people have such different opinions? DH found the ship old, worn and boring. I can agree there but it was also clean and easy to navigate. He did comment this morning how clean and in good repair our stateroom was (SkySuite 1210). Only a mirror in the bathroom was dirty when we checked in and never cleaned. Ther tenders are grimy and really old. The outside of the Mercury is rusty and has a lot of green slime. Our butler (Elias) was fun and efficient.

I enjoyed the art and the "deco" decor of the Mercury. On the plus side there were plenty of elevartors and very seldom a wait. Our grandson, 18, was a bit bored but loved the pasta bar and ate most of his meals (including breakfast!) there. He and DH also used the T-pool and sauna every afternoon.

As far a food, we all agreed that it was just fine. None of us liked the "line" type of buffet after the ease of RCI's "island" style buffets. However, the food was good and varied. Not too salty. Room service was very good, arrived on time and hot. My poached eggs were perfect and the butler added a few items he thought we would like. Tea in the afternoons was really a nice touch and something I will miss. I asked for a cup of tea and two cookies and Elias heaped a plate with goodies! Delivered sandwiches a bit later. We found the dining room meals to be very good. The beef was tender and cooked just as ordered. Out Lobster tails were huge and again, not too salty. I had scallops the last night and they were cooked through, not rubbery like some. The salads were nicely chilled, crisp and very fresh tasting.

Well, I didn't set out to write a review but it looks like I have! I think it is very difficult to judge a cruiseline on a single experience. Like a staff member remarked, the three nighters are so rushed that even the crew feels out of sync. I will book X again but not the Mercury.

To Sally R,

I don't want to appear arguementative but in your first paragraph you say you would not hesitate to book this particular ship (the Mercury) again but your closing words are, "I will book X again but not the Mercury". What's with the contradiction? The reason I ask is I will be sailing the Mercury again for the third time later next month and am a little concerned about what we may be in for.

DREUX, I won't book the Mercury as my husband did not care for the ship. Personally, I kinda liked it. However, it is my husband's vacation, too, so I will book a different Celebrity ship. Maybe something newer and larger. If he is happy, so am I!

DREUX, I won't book the Mercury as my husband did not care for the ship. Personally, I kinda liked it. However, it is my husband's vacation, too, so I will book a different Celebrity ship. Maybe something newer and larger. If he is happy, so am I!

Thanks for your balanced and fair opinion of your Mercury cruise.

Sorry that u were unhappy with your cruise....we sailed the mercury in august and totally impressed and very satisifed...we had never sailed with celebrity before ....and will certainly sail with them again in the future...the crew was very friendly and offered assistance everytime we were turning around...i loved our waiter in the dining room as well as the food served there...we ate on the lideo deck for breakfast and lunch and had great meals everyday....we tired something different each day...the ship was very clean and sanitary....we are cruising hawaii next year with ncl and that is only because celebrity doesn't offer a 7-day cruise to hawaii...:)

What a surprise and what a shame! We had sailed Mercury 4 times, from ouside Verandah to Royal Suites, and had fantastic times. The only line I would never ever go on again is RCL which gave us awful food and 10 days of standing in line to do anything whatsoever. We like HAL OK, but find all their food tastes like butter so Celebrity is our preferred line. On one Infinity cruise, we were not happy with the table service in the Dining room the first two nights and on asking our butler, he promptly arranged to have us moved where the fantastic service and food we expect from Celebrity resumed.

As they say, different strokes....

• 2 weeks later...

Your posting certainly triggered a nerve with several people. I am not repsonding to defend or dispute your experience. Our experiences have been outstanding with both Celebrity and RCCL. I would suggest that in the future you approach the Captain's staff with your concerns while on board. We have had a few issues throughout our cruises but have had everyone of them resolved by bringing them to the appropriate person's attention. I have never had a bad cruise and in fact have had one of our best ever aboard The Mercury in a Sky Suite. Certain things have changed on board Celebrity over the years but overall I still feel they have a leg up on RCCL in most areas.

Sorry to hear about your dissappointment.

We do not cruise that often. When we do its a real treat and something i look forward to very much.My anticipation is always high. For the money and the anticipation it is hard when you are dissappointed.

I have never sailed on the Mercury. I have never sailed on a C-class ship. Over the years I have read some great reviews about the C-class ships, but also some negative. I love the M-class ships so very much, that i strongly hesitate to switch.

I hope one day you can try the M-class and enjoy the ship and the cruise. I will add years ago we went on a RCCL cruise ( our 1st cruise ), it was a bad experience. And, honestly we thought we just were not cruise people. Then we sailed on the Infinity and the rest is history. I actually would like to try Royal again , yet I will admit, I am hesitant.

I hope your next cruise ismuch better.

Nadine

Archived