Wait time for refund?

jmk22574

Our friends who were to cruise with us next May have had to cancel their reservation due to financial reasons. Because it is so far in advance, they were told by their TA that they would only be charged a $35 fee by the TA and they were entitled to the full refund through HAL. Two quick questions:

1. Will they also receive the $200 back for trip insurance (booked through the TA)?

2. Does anyone know what kind of time frame they should be looking at to receive this money back? (Their TA told them it would come from HAL back to them, then be forwarded on to our friends).

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Our friends who were to cruise with us next May have had to cancel their reservation due to financial reasons. Because it is so far in advance, they were told by their TA that they would only be charged a $35 fee by the TA and they were entitled to the full refund through HAL. Two quick questions:

1. Will they also receive the $200 back for trip insurance (booked through the TA)?

2. Does anyone know what kind of time frame they should be looking at to receive this money back? (Their TA told them it would come from HAL back to them, then be forwarded on to our friends).

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

It really is determined in most part by the Travel Agency if they submitted the funds to escrow for the Cruise line to hold etc..

Sometimes they hold the funds in there accounts so they have the ride in the interim till final payments are in..

Is the T/A accredited well too? :eek:

Were the funds done by credit card , check, and/or money orders ?

A few years back, we had to cancel a cruise and it was close to 2 months before we rec'd the credit back on our credit card. We were refunded the same way we had been paid, by credit card. It takes a while and they do not rush.

Griswalds

• Credit on our credit card in 6 weeks
  • 50% off next cruise applied immediately on new booking
  • Insurance transferred to new booking

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Candy, what are you referring to? The are canceling, it will take 1 to 2 billing cycles to get the credit. Yes, they should get the insurance back, depending on what company they used, 50% off on the next cruise? huh? what am I missing here? NMNita

Not sure if we are on the same topic candy?

Griswalds

Candy, what are you referring to? The are canceling, it will take 1 to 2 billing cycles to get the credit. Yes, they should get the insurance back, depending on what company they used, 50% off on the next cruise? huh? what am I missing here? NMNita

Really? You get back the premium for the cruise insurance too?

I'm not trying to be a smart a**, just seeking clarification from those TAs on this board or who have actually cancelled & made a claim. I tend to think of cruise insurance pretty much the same way I do other insurance - health, car, homeowners, title, life, etc, etc, etc. We pay those premiums whenever they are due & hope to never need to make a claim. But if we do, we don't expect a refund of premium.

Three days before sailing my cruise was cancelled for a quick repair, thus full refund on cruise and insurance and discount on rebook.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

We had to cancel the World Cruise on the Amsterdam because of illness in the family. The premium for the platinum insurance we had purchased was $4238.00.

We rebooked a 28 day cruise for a later date in 2007, and the insurance premium was transfered to the new booking, but only for the new insurance premium. The second insurance cost much less than the first, but we can not apply the difference to the fare of the cruise.

Ginnie

Really? You get back the premium for the cruise insurance too?

I'm not trying to be a smart a**, just seeking clarification from those TAs on this board or who have actually cancelled & made a claim. I tend to think of cruise insurance pretty much the same way I do other insurance - health, car, homeowners, title, life, etc, etc, etc. We pay those premiums whenever they are due & hope to never need to make a claim. But if we do, we don't expect a refund of premium.

Here as I think there in Delaware, as our past friend Sen. Bill Roth, (R.) Del. ,helped in the Insurance charges to be rebated back when people or they canceled there policies.. yes the Roth IRA was and is a wonderful tool. That man was phenominal!

Here in NJ also when you do not use all the policies they are prorated and rebated to you ((UPON REQUEST)) same as Vehicle Registrations too here you get back the amount unused and thats pro-rated..

If you do not ask you do not obtain... Ask and Ye shall recieve...

I had to cancel a cruise and used my bank card for the deposit. The cruise line originally told me 4 - 6 weeks. I said excuse me I used my bank card they then said 7 - 10 business days. Well on the 14th business day no refund. Called the cruise line and said no refund yet they said they processed it call the bank. I called the bank alright and told them that the cruise line was supposed to return my money in 10 days. Well the bank checked my account saw the deposit. I told them the day I cancelled and what the cruise line told me and the bank put a termporary credit for the money on my account that day and then contacted the cruise line to fight it out with them. Two days later the credit from the cruise line showed up. and the bank got their money back. I think it's a bunch of bulll that the cruiseline says it takes 4 - 6t weeks. It didn't take 4 - 6 weeks to put the charge on your credit card, of course not I'm sure it was posted to the account that or at least by the next day. When I booked the cruise with my bank card it posted to my account the next day so it should be returned the next day!

Three days before sailing my cruise was cancelled for a quick repair, thus full refund on cruise and insurance and discount on rebook.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

Sorry, I am still confused: the OP was referring to them cancelling as I read it, not the cruise cancelling. There is a big difference. As for insurance, I did say there would be a refund, but this does depend on who you get the insurance from and how far in advance there is a cancellation. You are referring to something totally different I think. NMNita

Griswalds and NMNita:

The topic of this thread is "Wait time for refund?". Readers who look at this thread to find an answer to this general question may not have the same problem as the OP. My answer may be exactly what the reader is looking for.

My refund came directly from the Line (I would never use a TA who charged the fare to her company), so the OP may have to wait longer.

Candy

By all means the refund should be very fast and one should not have to wait as long as I did. However I was not able to follow up as much as I should have and it can pay off as you found out. As the refund came directly from the cruiseline and not the TA, I am not sure who to blame. But it did take around 2 months to get my money back. You did well.

Griwalds

I had to cancel a cruise and used my bank card for the deposit. The cruise line originally told me 4 - 6 weeks. I said excuse me I used my bank card they then said 7 - 10 business days. Well on the 14th business day no refund. Called the cruise line and said no refund yet they said they processed it call the bank. I called the bank alright and told them that the cruise line was supposed to return my money in 10 days. Well the bank checked my account saw the deposit. I told them the day I cancelled and what the cruise line told me and the bank put a termporary credit for the money on my account that day and then contacted the cruise line to fight it out with them. Two days later the credit from the cruise line showed up. and the bank got their money back. I think it's a bunch of bulll that the cruiseline says it takes 4 - 6t weeks. It didn't take 4 - 6 weeks to put the charge on your credit card, of course not I'm sure it was posted to the account that or at least by the next day. When I booked the cruise with my bank card it posted to my account the next day so it should be returned the next day!

By all means the refund should be very fast and one should not have to wait as long as I did. However I was not able to follow up as much as I should have and it can pay off as you found out. As the refund came directly from the cruiseline and not the TA, I am not sure who to blame. But it did take around 2 months to get my money back. You did well.

Griwalds

This is one of the reasons I use my bank card. If I have a problem I get the bank to credit my account for the money in dispute and then the bank gets in touch with the company that I am having a problem with and when the bank gets involved things get done. This is also how I pay for all my expenses before and during my cruise, then there are no bills that come in the mail. I know the day that I leave the ship all the expenses are paid for!

I always use my credit card as I get travel points or 2% back on purchases, are you able to get the same with your bank card? As long as you pay off your credit card monthly it works out pretty good. We are flying first class on our next cruise thanks to points earned on one of our credit cards and not a cent paid in interest.

Griwalds

Griswalds and NMNita:

The topic of this thread is "Wait time for refund?". Readers who look at this thread to find an answer to this general question may not have the same problem as the OP. My answer may be exactly what the reader is looking for.

My refund came directly from the Line (I would never use a TA who charged the fare to her company), so the OP may have to wait longer.

Candy

CAndy, no your answer isn't what the op was looking for:you referred to a cancelled cruise, not a passenger who cancelled because of a personal problem: as for booking with a TA who charges the fare to her company, I have been in the business for many years: we do not charge the fare to our company ever: if you are referring to a booking fee, more agents are charging a processing fee all the time. Believe it or not it does cost TA companies a little bit to handle your reservation. Do I or my bosses charge for cancelling or processing? NO, but I do know many who do. If for no other reason, we often put hours into research for nothing. NMnita

CAndy, no your answer isn't what the op was looking for:you referred to a cancelled cruise, not a passenger who cancelled because of a personal problem...snip
Please re-read the post you quoted. I replied to the subject as asked.

Candy <-- is done with this thread

This is one of the reasons I use my bank card. If I have a problem I get the bank to credit my account for the money in dispute and then the bank gets in touch with the company that I am having a problem with and when the bank gets involved things get done. This is also how I pay for all my expenses before and during my cruise, then there are no bills that come in the mail. I know the day that I leave the ship all the expenses are paid for!

Is your bank card a debit card? Credit card?

A comparison I use ..

Credit cards are like touchdowns!!!SCORE ... Your protected and got more on the score board now , where it counts..

Debit cards are like getting a field goal! Yippee.. added points but not as good as a TD!

Check/Money Orders are like a first down ! Yea! You do gain yardage and position...

Money...OOOPS..Fumble.... Change of ownership...

:eek:

When we had to cancel a HAL cruise last fall, before final payments, our deposit was returned in full on our next CC statement. I did not check which exact day it was credited, but the first time it could appear on our statement it did.

Recently I changed my mind about some shore ex. for an upcoming HAL cruise. The cancelled tours were on the next CC statement, as were the new charges I incurred with our replacement shore ex.

Hi, I haven't cancelled with HAL but I did with RCI and it was credited in 2 days about the same time it took for the charge to appear. the booking also disappeared from their website in two days.

I think companies now do the credits really fast. For many reasons, first it keeps their books current. Second, they don't want to face alot of disbutes with credit card companies, every dispute costs them time and time=money (probably much more money than the float). Also they don't want to run the risk of losing your credit in a system failure or human error, that costs alot of time to fix vs. any float.

just my two cents.

Archived