New Princess Ocean Racing Tour!

Host Caroline

Hey, guys if you love to sail -- I mean REALLY sail -- Princess (and maybe some other lines) have a new tour that you can only book on board ship but it's fabulous.. It's ocean racing and kinda like the America's Cup but just a diff. kind of boat (smaller - I'm not sure of all the lingo)... we had a great time on it.. but it is a ship tour... I think on most of the cruise lines... expensive but worth it.. we also did America's Cup and loved both!

Some of the racing yachts are longer than the 12 meter Americas Cup yachts. They were using Farr 65's that are 19.7 meters. This type of yacht is used for the Volvo around the world races.

;)

Their site does say they were bringing in some Beneteau Distinction 40.7, which are the 12 meter yachts, in June.

http://www.ondeckoceanracing.com/

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=381116&highlight=racing

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=364196

I think I read where all cruise lines except Disney have contracts with them.

I have talked to them through email. They try to race pax from one ship against pax from another.

Caroline,

You said the yacht was smaller than the 12 meters yachts. Any idea of what it was ?

It is a common misconception that the America's Cup '12 Metre' Yachts are twelve metres long, which would make them about 40 feet in length.

The boats in St. Maarten are actually about 70 feet in length.

The '12 Metre' label refers to a class of boats which are built to a formula designed to make them comparable in performance.

The Wikipedia has a lot more information on the class, and includes The Formula.

12formul.gif

gary

If any of you have done both of these excursions (St. Thomas Ocean Race and St. Maartin America's Cup), would you please compare the two of them for me, as we are going to St. Maartin and St. Thomas in about one more month, and are contemplating doing one of these two excursions. Thank you.

Having just done both ... and both without a stiff wind.. I would say that the 12 metre overall is just "better" i.e. have done it more than once.. the OnDeck race in St Thomas had smaller crew and more opportunity for those that wanted to to really participate without "sharing time"... their larger vessels are in Europe for the Cowes race but will be back.

If DH had to choose (and he is true "sailor" in the family) it's no contest: the 12-metre Cup race in St Maarten. it books up very very early though and you can't count on getting onboard.

Anyone want more info I will get from him when I get my mail caught up:)

• 3 weeks later...
gtaylor - I'm having trouble with your link. The URL doesn't seem to exist.

Hmmmmmm;

I just clicked on the link, above, and it worked for me.

Try this link and then navigate through SXM to 'Laser - 12 Metre'.

That's probably on the second page.

gary

The 12 metres sailed in St Maarten are a foot or two longer than the Farr 65's. The Farr is 19.74 meters, the others are all just over 20 meters.

12 Metre boats are so called NOT because of their overall length, but because they must conform to a formula. The formula takes the form of an equation and takes into consideration various measurements of the boat; and the result of this equation must not exceed 12. In fact, a 12 Metre boat is about seventy feet long, the masts are eighty-six feet high, and they weigh about thirty-five tons.

gary

Archived