Question About Valparaiso

Keith1010

As background, I have sailed around South America before and have embarked in Valparaiso. I don't remember much about this town though since we arrived a few days before and stayed in Santiago and then were taken to Valparaiso on embarkation day so I just don't remember anything about the town.

On our upcoming cruise which does not leave out of there we are going to stop in Valparaiso for a full day.

Question. Can we walk into the town from the cruise ship and are there any interesting sites to see within the town?

Thanks,

Keith

Keith,

Last year in March, we spent two days in the area before boarding Symphony. At the top of Ascensor Concepcion (cable trolly up the hill near the Turri Clock Tower) is Cafe Turri. It's a converted home with a breathtaking view of the harbor. We arrived about 1:30pm and were hungry and tired. No one spoke English and the menu was only in Spanish. But, our waiter, an older man knew Chardonay and Pisco Sour. He understood that I wanted fish and my wife a fish soup. I was served a huge piece of salmon cooked to perfection and my wife a fish stew in a light sauce with so much seafood she could not begin to finish the meal. We lingered there for two hours as small groups came and went. The meal was about US$28 without a tip. We used a charge card and left the tip in pesos. Perhaps it was just the right place at the right time but it was a meal we will always remember.

George

Keith,

This is the excerpt from my posting of August 7, I believe.

Day 3---Monday, January 9, 2006 VINA DEL MAR AND VALPARAISO, CHILE

After a lovely buffet breakfast, used the free computer to send e-mail to family and friends and were met by our tour guide and driver taking us on a tour to Valparaiso and Vina del Mar where we would spend the next 2 nights. We contracted through Victor Alabi of Enturchile. The tour was OK and we saw the highlights He didn’t give us as much information as our tour guides we had later.

Our main concern: We knew our meals were not included. A word to the wise. They took us to a restaurant and there seemed to be a concern as to the reservation. The guide and driver moved us from a table for 4 to a table for 6. I motioned for the driver and guide to join us. We had a nice meal. We noticed the men kept eating, eating, drinking, etc. Then we got the bill. Since we had motioned for them to come join us, we were expected to pay. I can accept that to a point, but they just kept running up the bill. My husband and I ate for $18. The men’s total bill was $35. We got that settled and they took us to a few more sights in Vina and Valparaiso and then we located our Hotel Brighton---quite a challenge to get to the remote location. We bade farewell to our guide and driver, tipped them against our better judgment, but we were just caught off guard.

The Hotel Brighton (our room was $77 US ) It was a delightful, bright yellow old hotel perched high above the city atop Conception Hill, overlooking the bay. As we later found out, it wasn’t as remote as we once thought, but in what will soon become a “high rent district.” It had a million dollar view. We were met by Tatiana, a very delightful young lady. All the rooms were different. We had a large room that looked toward downtown. It was up a narrow circular flight of stairs which was a little of a challenge with our heavy luggage. The night lights were beautiful. We had our own bath, however my only complaint was that one could not sit in the bathtub and when showering, the water temperature fluctuated greatly. Our friends had a small main floor room that looked on the bay and had a small balcony. They had a regular sized bathtub, however. We sat on the outdoor terrace and enjoyed the view with a coke. It was beautiful. The missing luggage had not arrived, but Tatiana was diligent in calling for us.

Day 4—Tuesday, January 10, 2006 VALPARAISO, CHILE

We walked Valparaiso, taking in several of the ascensors, There are 15 of the original 29 still in use. They are listed as a UNESCØ World Heritage site. Busses are available on the water level, but unless one wanted to climb up and down hills or take taxis, this was the way to go, and very reasonable. We enjoyed a walking tour that was listed in International Travel News. It took us to many neat sights. We met a couple who had moved there from Germany and they gave us some pointers on where to walk and what to see. It was very hot, so we consumed lots of water. After touring downtown Valparaiso we then walked up to the city cemetery. We could see it from our hotel, but had to go down and then up. It was quite a hike and the locals encouraged us to take a bus to the top, but we did the walk.

The cemetery has two sections, one of which was Chile’s first non-Catholic cemetery where thousands of European immigrants are buried. Also there is the Catholic cemetery. The cemeteries, as we would also notice in other cities, are beautifully landscaped and are family plots, some very lavish in design.

That evening we ate at Café Turri, near our hotel, overlooking the bay. It was very good. We were pleased to return to the Hotel Brighton and find the missing luggage had arrived.

Day 5---Thursday, January 11, 2006 SANTIAGO---BOARDING THE ROTTERDAM

We got up early and walked the pathway to make sure our ship had come in!!!! We enjoyed a continental breakfast at our hotel, finished packing and called a taxi for a noon pickup. Two taxis came for the short trip to the pier. It was interesting---one driver charged 4 more dollars than the other one for the same trip!

We ate lunch on the ship and home for the next 3 weeks, Holland America Rotterdam. When our room was ready we settled in and readied for the life jacket drill and ‘sail away’. We had chosen late seating, but were disappointed to discover that we had a table for 4 instead of the requested 8, so we could meet more people.

• 1 month later...
dileep - I just read your review of your 1/06 SA trip. Can you tell me what private tour companies you used as your trip sounded wonderful. We will also be staying "post" 3 nights in Rio and will be going to the falls.

I do not read all threads unless I am curious :D .

If you have specific questions about my review, please post them on the thread for my review. Scroll down that thread and you will find the list of private agencies or individuals that I used. I am sure you will find the list!

Hope you have as good a time as we did.

BTW, I spent 3 years in grad school in Pittsburgh and know where New Castle is. I am still a Steelers and Pirates fan!

Archived