HAL .....I've Been Thinking!!!

sail7seas

Well put Doug. You are wise wise beyond your years. Or is that ears? I always mess that one up.

Heather, it's already fun. This is a great board with many great people. I am not a board person, and it is difficult to learn communication on such a one dimensional media (no eyes, no inflection, no body language, no smack on the side of the head). You know I adore you, just not as much as MyHammy. I hear the Palm trees grow really tall there.

What we need now is a big group hug. You can't go wrong with a hug. That's it. That's much better.

Hey who's hand was that?

I think what the OP is saying is more like easycruise: I don't see anything like that happening with any mass marketed cruiseline.

I don't even pretend to be an expert on easyCruise, but I don't think you would even have many ammenity choices on that line ... while on HAL's upcoming bigger ships you could. I believe, from what I've heard and read, that easyCruise isn't even a cruise, per se. It's more like a transportation vehicle for people who want to visit a lot of ports in a short time period ... either Caribbean or Europe ... and get to and from those ports on the cheap. The boat itself is not even set up for "ammenities." They offer a dining venue, housekeeping services, and maybe a bar ... but that's about it. The boat is primarily cabins, with very limited public areas. The cabins are small, very small, and their purpose is merely to provide a place to sleep enroute to the next port. So while you may pay ala carte on easyCruise, there isn't all that much ala carte you can buy.

I don't see HAL ever comparing to easyCruise. It's just not in that market. easyCruise would appeal to people for whom the port is the destination ... not the ship. The ship is merely their floating hotel room ... a place to do the "three S's" ... if you don't know, don't ask. They don't need many public areas on the ship because their targeted clientele don't want to stay on the ship. As soon as they get to a port, it's off they go. easyCruise offers no enticements to get them to stay on the ship. HAL would offer them ... plenty of them. HAL would probably actually prefer you stay on the ship, in the hope that you spend your money there rather than in port. With all the special ammenities they could offer based on their beautiful ships and fine facilities, they will probably do more and more of that in the future.

HAL cruisers are different. We want a ship that is a destination too. While I personally enjoy the ports, I see many HAL cruisers who never even bother to get off the ship. They've been to those ports many times and prefer to stay onboard and enjoy the ammenities provided there. I guess that's why many of these cruisers opt for suites ... so that they can be extra comfortable onboard.

To offer all of the upsells we've been talking about here, you need a ship with a lot of facilities ... bars, meeting rooms, athletic facilities, etc. HAL has those. easyCruise does not. For that reason, I don't think HAL will ever become even remotely like an easyCruise ... no matter how many "ala carte" options they offer in the future. It just doesn't make sense.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita, to me using the term "class system" suggests some think that longevity alone or number of HAL cruises under their belts places them on a higher wrung. I don't see that here ... I think overall it's a very cohesive, friendly group and almost always very welcoming to newcomers.

Okay, say "group system," if you prefer. I wasn't using the term "class" in any negative way. I do agree with you, we are a very friendly group ... far more friendly than many of the other boards I've been on, believe me. But, I still believe, that while this board welcomes newcomers, we do ... naturally ... place more credence in the posts of certain people. And, maybe there is nothing wrong with that. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing. I was just making the observation to that effect in my previous post.

If I am someone who doesn't visit this board that frequently, and I come on here because I am pondering a future cruise on HAL ... a line I've maybe never sailed before ... don't you think I'm gonna place a bit more credence in the recommendations of someone who has sailed extensively on the line ... someone who has quite a bit of longevity on this board as indicated by their total number of posts (whether that be a good or bad thing)? Even though I may get some great advice from a relative newcomer ... maybe someone who only has 90 posts on this board, and whose signature maybe indicates that they've only taken one HAL cruise, with another in the future ... I'm probably gonna be more likely to dismiss their advice ... especially if it conflicts with the advice of the person with gadzillions of cruising days and posts. Also, if I ... a relative newcomer ... see that the others on the board obviously defer to certain members ... seek out their advice, etc., quite often ... I'm likely as a newcomer myself to also place a lot more credence in their posts than I do in the posts of people I haven't had much exposure to.

I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. It takes place in our everyday world all the time. I was just making the observation that this "class" or "group" system exists ... and certainly not just on internet message boards.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Amber, many thanks for your wonderful post. Especially now, it's most appreciated by me.

Snorkie (can I call you Snorkie;) ?) ... thanks for yours too. That group hug was great. I know it did me a world of good.

Rita, I think Doug summed this whole class/group/social dynamic thing up all up very well. I'm going to leave it at that:) .

Here's to cruising with all of you! Now let's just go back to the original topic and just let go.

Is it any wonder that HAL finds it challenging to fill a ship when the incremental draw is sailing with the head of Mariner Program?

LOL ... I was wondering how that cruise was selling. I recall getting a mailing on it and finding it quite pricey for what it seemed you were getting. A cruise line can certainly inflate the price of a group sailing ... sometimes substantially ... but they really have to offer passengers something special to make it worth that price. I paid almost double what the general passengers onboard that Rotterdam sailing were paying when I did my Maui Writers at Sea cruise. But then ... the draw of working with all those professional authors made it worth it to me. Those other passengers didn't get that. Our group activities and lectures were not open to them.

So, I kind of wondered what "special" things were included in that Mariner sailing ... to encourage people to pay the higher price.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have one thing to say about A La Carte cruising. I enjoy the ability to

eat what and where I want, and to see any shows/demonstrations I want.

If we have to pay, my DH will have me eating 2 meals a day in the Lido,

and the other meal leftovers we bring back to the cabin. I kid you not.

That's why I prefer cruising over land vacations......because it's all paid for

and his Scottish grip on his wallet doesn't affect me. No, I'm not saying

being Scottish is bad, only when it impedes my progress.

................. my DH will have me eating 2 meals a day in the Lido,

and the other meal leftovers we bring back to the cabin. I kid you not.

LOL!!!:D Which brings up another thought. They'll have to provide us with larger refrigerators in our cabins for "doggie bags"!!!:D

They'll have to provide us with larger refrigerators in our cabins for "doggie bags"!!!:D
For an extra charge, of course! :cool:

What they might do is offer drawers in their cold room in the galley. You could rent different sizes ... like PO boxes at the post office.

If meals were a la carte, the only cruises I would even consider would be one that had a totally facinating itinerary that I could not practically do any other way.

IF I am going to pay for my meals as I go - I would stick with land trips, resorts or whatever, except for the above. Why - well IF I am going to have to buy my food as I go - I want choices that would far exceed what even a huge cruise ship could offer. When we do land trips, Europe, Asia, South America, Africa - where ever, we like to go to to a wide variety of restaurants while there. While our main emphasis will be on local, ethnic restaurants, other nights we select other types of foods and cuisines, even an occassional McDonalds or Starbucks, if such are present. (Local, ethnic foods are one of the things I miss when cruising.)

What cruise line life looks line in 10, 20 or thirty years may be very different than today, but what direction it goes - time will tell. (Some others of you may remember when almost all cruising was for transportation, not sightseeing, and most ships were divided by classes. That was not my cup of tea! Even some deck space was "off-limits" to those not in the appropriate class.

LOL ... I was wondering how that cruise was selling. Blue skies ...--rita

An inside can be had for <$900+/- p/p or about $67 per diem, not including port and taxes. If I coulg snag a Brazil Visa and get away for 14 days plus time flight time, I would be on this sail.

I just don't understand why I should be sitting here reading and feeling so attacked.

Dear RuthC,

Over the years you have factually responded to thousands of questions, suspended your own opinion unless it's requested, do not assume that HAL is right for everyone and often ask the OP a better question, in return. You are the epitome of grace. Don't ever change.

Dear RuthC,

Over the years you have factually responded to thousands of questions, suspended your own opinion unless it's requested, do not assume that HAL is right for everyone and often ask the OP a better question, in return. You are the epitome of grace. Don't ever change.

It has only been weeks for me but I love the way you answer folks on this board. Don't ever change Ruth.:D

Dear RuthC,

Amen to that RuthC, your factual and unbiased responses have been usefull and enlightened to me too!

Beth

For an extra charge, of course! :cool:

What they might do is offer drawers in their cold room in the galley. You could rent different sizes ... like PO boxes at the post office.

Don't forget ... you're gonna probably need a microwave in the cabin too ... so that you can reheat those leftovers. At an extra charge, of course. :)

But then ... having a place to store and reheat leftovers may not even be a problem ... unless you eat in the dining room. The Lido is a buffet. Generally, you're not allowed to take food from a buffet for later consumption. :)

Bue skies ...

--rita

An inside can be had for <$900+/- p/p or about $67 per diem, not including port and taxes. If I coulg snag a Brazil Visa and get away for 14 days plus time flight time, I would be on this sail.

Even if you got absolutely NOTHING extra with that Mariner sailing ... a $67 pp per diem rate can't be beat. I only wish my time were unlimited ... I'd be onboard in a heartbeat too. Sadly, though ... my employer wouldn't appreciate me scheduling another cruise right now. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sails -- I'm not so sure I agree with your contention you don't gain any benefit from Club HAL or the Show Lounges.

If 50 ten year olds are in Club HAL -- they're NOT out on deck where you're trying to take a snooze in the sun.

If 400 people are watching a comedian in the show lounge, they're not crowding you for space at the piano bar or that slot machine that finally got hot for you.

Every one of us gains a little something from the wide variety of activities offered by cruise lines -- even if we don't use them!

Very good point, TV Dad.

Keeping the kiddies happy and busy ELSEWHERE is a Good Thing. ;)

The slot machine......we play very little but now and then. This last cruise on Maasdam, our friend wanted to play slots for a few minutes. We all went in. DH promptly lost $20. Dear Friend promptly lost $20. I said, okay, I'll now lose my $20.

I put my bill in the machine, pressed the button three times and won nothing. Pushed it a fourth time and Whamo..... I ended up leaving with $63 that I did not enter with.

In 14 days aboard, I don't think I returned once so I truly was a winner. I didn't give it back.

I fully agree. I, too, want those services available, even if DH and I never use them. The question is do we think it could be they will be available but at some future time, we may have to pay for all those services individually as we use or consume them?

I'm not saying that will happen or that I hope that will happen.

Maybe I'm deranged or just half nuts from packing to leave for my cruise in three days, but I keep thinking of what it would be like if some of these "pay as you go" concepts became a reality.

For example....suppose the shows were separate charges. If you think the bingo announcements are bad, can you imagine having the cruise director broadcast over the speaker system every half hour hawking the entertainment?

"This is a reminder that tickets are now on sale for this evening's entertainment in the Queen's Lounge....Drusilla and her Dancing Squirrels. Come and join us for a fun-filled evening of frivolity and surprises. Don't wait too long as these tickets are selling like hotcakes."

Having too many events and activities "a la carte" could turn a ship into a carnival, and I doubt there too many people who really want that to happen.

Having said that, however, I do think the cruiselines are going to offer more "special event" type of activities in the future for which there will be a charge....whether it is having celebrities or noted people giving lectures or demonstrations....or tournaments....or theme cruises. I think we all recognize that the cruiselines are looking to boost their onboard revenues and are probably doing a lot of research and brainstorming trying to come up with ideas that will float.

And what does happen will probably happen gradually over time. I just hope I can get most of my cruising done before the changes are too radical.

Archived