ON the Amadagio!

Buckland

Hi Pat & Letsgo

Thanks for the kudos on the photos. Our cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest was our first river cruise too. We loved it so much we are planning to do the St.Petersburg to Moscow cruise in the spring of 2008. We would do it sooner but we are up-rooting ourselves and moving to another city to be closer to our grandkids and enjoy our new-found retirement.

I have recently been going over all the photos I took to create an interesting DVD for family and friends who want to see it. I suggest the more photos you take the more good ones you will have. My wife is not the shutterbug I am so there are more shots of her and the scenery than me, but that's the price I'm willing to pay.

I can hardly wait to get out and see more of the wonderful world we live in. Next year we will be seeing a lot of our own continent in our new RV - yes, we really are retired!!

Buck

• 6 months later...

Thank you all so much! I have spent most of the day off and on reading through this thread. Hubby and I have taken to *regular* ocean cruising the past few years after sailing our own sailboat for 5 years.... Blue water, through the canal and a few years in the Caribbean. I have become a TA specializing in Cruises and we had booke ourselves on the Brilliance Med trip for our 25th wedding anniversary but recently got to talking about trying a river cruise instead so have just started researching what is available ship and itinerary wise. We have been looking at Uniworld and now Amadeus and your reviews have been so interesting!

We are thinking of doing Budapest to Amsterdam if we can afford both the time and the costs....

Any new reviews would be appreciated. We are thinking Fall 2008.

Thanks in advance,

Nancy

BTW, anyone know where to find Buck's photos? I know this thread is old but maybe by bringing back up to the top someone will see it.

If memory serves me, Buck lost his camera. Someone else posted tons of photos though. I'll see if I can remember where they might be.

Here's from a post I made in February...let me know what you think! If you use the slide show feature, the photos seem to be low quality, but if you view full size, they are very nice in full resolution.

I have posted on Webshots 400+ photos that I took on the Amadagio cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam the last two weeks in October of last year. Some of these shots are pretty good, some are just OK. If you are interested in seeing what we saw on the cruise, go to this website:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/556525880qJuAWh

I don't find it shameful to pull this thread up for others. Read the whole thing if you want to hear some positive information about Amadeus. There's lots of good info here. Thanks for the link to the pictures, they are wonderful.

Hi all, I am thrilled and surprised that this thread has been resurected! I will try to post some more photos. We have just finished moving and are still surrounded by tons of boxes, although there is only half as many as there were six weeks ago. This is a newly constructed house so there is more than the usual to do, what with putting in new lights, window coverings etc, etc. I visit this site almost daily and today finally managed to get my old desktop computer working as I have been playing with my laptop for the last four months. If you want to "chat" directly with me you can e-mail me at auxiliary@sympatico.ca and I will toss you as many photos as you like.

Buck

P.S.

I have replaced my camera with an identical one so I am back in the shutter bug world.

Oops, I never got back around to posting about our Christmas Market cruise... It was fabulous!

One of the Christmas traditions on the cruise is to leave your shoes outside the door one night. You awaken to candy in your shoes! My husband had a santa, I had a devil... Go figure!

Oh and if you hear a story about someone that took a lot of the shoes and mixed them up..... well, that's what they get for the unlimited wine at dinner. :D

Oops, I never got back around to posting about our Christmas Market cruise... It was fabulous!

One of the Christmas traditions on the cruise is to leave your shoes outside the door one night. You awaken to candy in your shoes! My husband had a santa, I had a devil... Go figure!

Oh and if you hear a story about someone that took a lot of the shoes and mixed them up..... well, that's what they get for the unlimited wine at dinner. :D

Texasgal2 - Were you on the Amadagio last December?

WIT

Buck, Your info is great. Thanks so much. We are booked on the Amacello in Sept. 2008 for the Danube Discovery cruise-14 days including some land time in Budapest and Prague. Can u let me know what type of toiletries are in the cabin bathroom--hopefully full complement so we don't have to bring extras--u may need to check with your significant other on this.

T:p hanks.

Robyn France

Hi Folks:

This Thread Really Has Been A Treat, Describing The Boat, Facilities, Food, Etc. My Wife And I Sail On The Adagio, Bucharest To Budapest, April 2008, And Are Truly Looking Forward To It. This Will Be Our First Lengthy River Cruise, And An Entirely New Part Of The World For Us. Thanks To Everyone For Their ContributIons. Happy Sailing!!!!!

• 5 months later...
Hi Folks:

This Thread Really Has Been A Treat, Describing The Boat, Facilities, Food, Etc. My Wife And I Sail On The Adagio, Bucharest To Budapest, April 2008, And Are Truly Looking Forward To It. This Will Be Our First Lengthy River Cruise, And An Entirely New Part Of The World For Us. Thanks To Everyone For Their ContributIons. Happy Sailing!!!!!

Gunman - Looking forward to your impressions - we found Bucharest and Romania very different than other Eastern European countries like Bulgaria and Serbia - they speak a Roman-based language, the capital models Paris' layout, and they have the world's fastest Internet.

WIT

What a great thread! So much information as we are thinking of booking our river cruise for 2009. I was wondering about the converters and adapters....the ones I looked at today say only to use for up to 30 minutes. That will no way be enough time to charge my laptop battery. Can anyone say where's the best place to get an adapter and converter that will allow you to charge a laptop for longer periods? Hopefully I can get an extender there too. May as well get all of it now since we'll be in Barcelona this summer and can use it there as well.

My camera charger only needs an adapter since it's dual voltage. Says it can be used for 110 or 220. At first I wasn't sure even though it mentioned this in the instruction booklet since there was no lever or button to switch it over from one voltage to another. I'm guessing it must do it automatically once plugged in. At least I hope that's the case, would hate to blow my charger the first day!

First of all I must say that I am thrilled that this thread has been resurrected yet again!! In September my wife and I will be going on the Tolsoy and sailing from St. Petersburg to Moscow, so there should be something about that then too.

Regarding the recessed plugs.. I recall making a post with photos of the plugs in this thread, I'll try to find what page they are on so you can go directly there and see for yourself. I no longer have them in my computer as I have backed everything up and bought a new imac. More later

In this thread in posts 17 through to 23 you'll find a discussion on recessed plugs. I'll try to find my archived photos and post them here if I can. I'm not sure where the ones I previously posted managed to go, but I'm sure we'll get it worked out in the long run..

Buck

Not sure what you mean when you say "extender." I looked for one today and no one seemed to know what I meant. Can anyone please tell me where I can pick one up?

The adapter I looked at today had prongs that extended only 3/4" and the total length of the adapter was 2" (including the prongs) and it also was 1¼ across. I'm hoping this will work in the outlet but I want to take an extender just in case.

I don't think I need to bring a converter since my laptop and my camera charger are dual voltage. It says it can handle up to 240.

Any thoughts on this........

Not sure what you mean when you say "extender." I looked for one today and no one seemed to know what I meant. Can anyone please tell me where I can pick one up?

The adapter I looked at today had prongs that extended only 3/4" and the total length of the adapter was 2" (including the prongs) and it also was 1¼ across. I'm hoping this will work in the outlet but I want to take an extender just in case.

I don't think I need to bring a converter since my laptop and my camera charger are dual voltage. It says it can handle up to 240.

Any thoughts on this........

The outlets on the Amadagio were two prong 220 Volt. I charged my batteries all day while I was out shooting. While shopping one day I found a battery charger designed for the two prong 220 Volt system, it was not very expensive, so I bought it. That way I could charge eight batteries at a time. I looked for some charging equipment while at the airport in Amsterdam but found them to be very expensive.

Good luck, I hope this works for you. If you have any questions, just ask, I check these boards regularly.

Buck

Archived