ON the Amadagio!

Buckland

Thanks Buck,

I appreciate you posting the pictures. It helped a lot. I think what I saw in the adapter kit today was the extender as it looked just like the one you labeled "two prong extension". If my laptop and battery charger are dual voltage do I just use the extender and then plug the equipment right into that?

Would you still use a converter to play it safe if the equipment (laptop and battery charger) were dual voltage or would you feel ok just plugging it into the adapter extension?

Hi SF

Boy, that's a tough one without seeing your laptop. I don't know all that much about them even-though I have one of my own. I don't think mine has the dual voltage capability. I just used the converter all the time. It seemed the easiest to me. Also, it anything went wrong, heaven forbid, I might have recourse against the converter company. Unless your laptop has a different plug you wouldn't be able to plug straight in anyway. You could go to where you bought it and check for sure, but if you already have a converter, I think you could probably just use that.

I downloaded all my pics to my laptop every day early in the morning as I got up much earlier that my wife.

In April we are going to South Africa, but I'm not bringing my laptop, instead i've got four 2Gig memory sticks to put all my photos onto. I'll upload them to my computer when I get back. I now have an imac, which I like very much.

good shooting,

Buck

Hi Buck,

I don't have the converter but was thinking of purchasing one anyway even though my equipment says dual voltage. I'm nervous about plugging it right into the adapter. I figure it can't hurt to play it safe. I'm not sure of which converter to get but will probably go with around 1500 watts. That should cover both the laptop and camera charger. I'm looking to get one now since we'll need it this summer as well for Barcelona prior to our cruise.

I don't use the computer to download my pictures but rather for internet so I can write off line and then connect to send but it's nice to know it's available if I run out of space on my camera cards. Since I'm not bringing the laptop on our upcoming trip to Barcelona and Med cruise, like you I'm bringing four 2 gig memory cards. That should be enough.

We are in the process of booking our river cruise. Just have to decide if we want the Blue Danube Discovery or the Magnificent Europe.

I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way and thanks for all your help.:)

Hi SF,

We were on the Magnificent Europe. We had a great time - I'm sure you'll love what ever cruise you opt for. I took over 7000 photos so I was very glad to have my lap top. But now with the memory cards I don't think I'll need any more space. I'm not sure, but I think the outlets and voltage was a little different in Barcelona. If my memory serves me correctly. I don't think I could use my charger there, but we were only spending one day and night there. It might be a good idea to investigate a little more.

best wishes,

Buck

Hi Buck,

Any suggestions where to check to find out about the voltage for Barcelona?

Maybe I'll post a thread on the Europe boards and ask those that have already visited. We'll be there for three days prior so I'm not sure if my two batteries will last. Not worried about our post stay for overnight as I can charge both batteries prior to leaving the ship.

Can't believe you took 7000 pictures! Must have taken you forever to crop them. We just came back this past summer from St. Petersburg and a Baltic cruise and took a lot of pictures but no where near than many.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Magnificent Europe even though we've been to Amsterdam before but I really wanted to visit Prague so I haven't ruled out Blue Danube itinerary yet.

Hi SF,

We've been through Amsterdam twice now and enjoyed it both times, although our first trip had us laying over there for 7 Hrs. Not knowing what was going on and being our first time travelling that way, we just stayed in the airport. Boy, were we tired by the time we got to Venice!! I just looked at the pics I took in Barcelona at the bed & breakfast that we stayed in and I can't see any of the outlets. That was a couple years ago and I just can't remember. Here is a great link that will tell you all the voltages of a lot of countries. http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

I just had a quick look and it seems like the voltage is similar to that on the ship. You could do a bit more reading than I just did and learn a lot more, I'm sure.

Ciao

Buck

Buck,

Thanks for the link to that website. Very usual to have and I book marked it for future reference.

Was wondering, what's the difference between a converter and a step up transformer?

Most of the converters I've looked at so far say not to be used with a laptop or recharger so I'm still on the hunt for one that will work.

Any suggestions or hints for Barcelona?

Appreciate all your help.:)

Buck,

Thanks for the link to that website. Very usual to have and I book marked it for future reference.

Was wondering, what's the difference between a converter and a step up transformer?

Most of the converters I've looked at so far say not to be used with a laptop or recharger so I'm still on the hunt for one that will work.

Any suggestions or hints for Barcelona?

Appreciate all your help.:)

Hi SF

Common transformers usually just step up or step down the voltage and usually keep the same frequency. In North America it's 60 cycles and 110 volts. In parts of Europe it's 50 cycles and 220 volts. And converters will step up the voltage to 220 and lower the frequency to 50 cycles per second.

That's a simple explanation.

You could take a look at http://www.conair.com/travel-accessories-c-55.html

where you'll see a Converter/Adaptor (adaptor being something that will adapt one type of plug to another) similar to the one I use. It is a more modern version of mine, but the same company.

Ciao

Buck

SF,

You shouldn´t have any problem as long as your equipment has a label saying "110V-240V". No converter needed, just the adaptor.

With a 1500W converter you can use a hair dryer or a vaccum cleaner :D . That´s way to powerful for a laptop, cell phone or digital camera. The label on your equipment should also say something about the wattage used by the equipment. For a cellphone a 50W converter should be sufficient for example. Converters can get quite heavy and think about the weight limits of your luggage :) .

All over Europe you´ll find 230V (including Barcelona).

steamboats

Thanks again Buck for another link to a very interesting site.

Steamboats thanks for your help and information also.

I just called my camera company and they said I shouldn't need anything but an adapter for the battery charger so guess that's all we'll go with for now.

Hi JBVols,

On our cruise with Amadeus we had all the wine we could drink every night at dinner. One night we went through the ship's entire stock of wine for that night. The only bottle left was the one on display at the entrance to the dining room. By the end of the trip we had gone through several hundred bottles. I guess we were a bunch of boozers.

Buck

I rarely drank in the lounge, but when I did I believe it was all charged to the cabin and we paid it at the end of the trip, but don't quote me on that. I do recall that the prices were about average. I typically find the prices in lounges and bars far too high for my taste so I very rarely will frequent them either at home or away. I usually find a liquor store and get something I can have in my room. Then I make a drink and take it to the lounge. I know it's kind of cheating, but I just can't justify paying 5 dollars or Euros or whatever for one ounce of anything.

Buck

Archived