Passport Must Not Expire for 6 Months After Int'l Travel

silverfoxcruiser

Am I the only cruiser who did not know your passport must be valid for travel for at least 6 months after international travel. Our passports don't expire until April '07, so we were going to renew when we returned (Dec 2). We learned about this restriction yesterday, and had to pay for expedited renewal. The point is, if you're planning international, look at your expiry date, and renew if necessary. Silver:rolleyes:

I was told the very same thing when booking a cruise departing next April. I called the passport office and was told that as far as they were concerned "a valid passport is a valid passport" then I called the U.S. Customs office and they confirmed that your passport must be valid 6 mos. after your final disembarkation or the cruise line should/would refuse passage.

So....I'll go ahead and spend the $67 to renew my passport even though it's "valid" just to avoid an issues. Just seems to be yet another example of how our current government's left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. grrrr...

I was told the very same thing when booking a cruise departing next April. I called the passport office and was told that as far as they were concerned "a valid passport is a valid passport" then I called the U.S. Customs office and they confirmed that your passport must be valid 6 mos. after your final disembarkation or the cruise line should/would refuse passage.

So....I'll go ahead and spend the $67 to renew my passport even though it's "valid" just to avoid an issues. Just seems to be yet another example of how our current government's left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. grrrr...

Instead of $67, it cost us $157!! I wanted to alert people who might be in the same circumstances we were!!! Silver:eek:

At least yours are good for 10 yrs ...Canadian Passports are $87. for 5 yrs ..no renewal, you have to do the whole process from scratch.

So we only get 4.5 yrs of use.:(

One other aspect of passports, that is not all that generally known, is that you need to be sure there are enough blank pages in your passport to accommodate any visa/entrance stamps that are needed on your trip. You can get blank pages to add to the passport .. but you need them with you when you travel.

Instead of $67, it cost us $157!! I wanted to alert people who might be in the same circumstances we were!!! Silver:eek:

$157.00 ??? Unless you used a special service this is not the cost to renew.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

Age 16 and older: The passport application fee is $67. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97

One other aspect of passports, that is not all that generally known, is that you need to be sure there are enough blank pages in your passport to accommodate any visa/entrance stamps that are needed on your trip. You can get blank pages to add to the passport .. but you need them with you when you travel.

Good to know. If only I traveled enough to have that problem!;)

$157.00 ??? Unless you used a special service this is not the cost to renew.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

Age 16 and older: The passport application fee is $67. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97

OP's post

"We learned about this restriction yesterday, and had to pay for expedited renewal."

To clarify your last sentence-YOU (as in moi) CANNOT add pages. YOU-as in the US passport agency can. They are permanently bound in your passport. It is a free service, but can take up to 6 weeks. You need this form: DS4085 http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds4085/ds4085_2662.html

You can also pay $60.00 for expedite service via mail (+ overnight return envelope) or in person. In person, you must be traveling within two weeks, go to a passport agency AND make an appointment.

I am currently dealing with this very situation. I leave Tuesday for Asia on an unexpected business trip and I am out of passport pages. I am sooo out of pages, the last time I entered the US, they informed me I could not return again unless I had new pages. They stamped "out of the box" and weren't happy about it. Procrastination KILLS!!!

Okay,

My problem...

I had heard about the "six (6) months expiry period" from a co-worker of mine, unfortunately my passport expires exactly five (5) months from the date of our Western Caribbean cruise.

I decided to contact my TA who spoke to somebody at Carnival who assured me as long as my passport has not expired by the final day of our cruise I would not have a problem.

Still not feeling too comfortable I did contact our local passport office. The agent I spoke with told me the "Six month rule" depends on the Country your visiting.

Mexico = No problem

Grand Cayman = No problem

USA = No problem

Belize = Problem...

Belize it the only country on my itinerary that requires your passport be valid for at least six (6) months after you leave.

I had already completed my "Carnival Fun Pass" received no errors or warnings,the TA did receive confirmation from Carnival my passport is considered valid, so now I am left wondering if I should just leave my passport as is or should I go ahead and re-apply for a new passport.

I mean, it really does seem silly and a heck of a lot of work applying for a new passport when my old passport will only be just over four (4) yrs old :rolleyes:.

Thanks

CCfan

It is my understanding that countries who enforce the 6 month rule do NOT want to take the chance of something happening (illness, you just decide to stay) and your passport expires during this period. You then become a person without a country.

Belize has a lot of expat North American citizens living full or part time. I would expect Belize to enforce the 6 month rule to prevent expats from overstaying their time in country without meeting some of the "residence" requirements-money in the bank to support you, some semblance of a "permanent" residence, business ownership, etc.

I personally wouldn't take the chance. Get the new passport while you still have time.

Okay,

Belize = Problem...

Belize it the only country on my itinerary that requires your passport be valid for at least six (6) months after you leave.

I mean, it really does seem silly and a heck of a lot of work applying for a new passport when my old passport will only be just over four (4) yrs old :rolleyes:

Thanks

CCfan

It is a rip-off for our passports I wish they were for 10 yrs or at least have a system that we can renew with a new photo instead of re-applying like new.

In any case ...you could contact the consulate for Belize and see what they say.

http://w01.international.gc.ca/Protocol/main-en.asp

Archived