VAT Refunds London

cadum

VAT Refunds for Purchases in London

From past experience in France I have never purchased enough (over $200) to merit getting a refund on my VAT tax. I am not usually a big shopper.

However now before boarding the Pride in London September 29th I expect to be doing some shopping at Harrods at least 200 pounds. I understand that the current tax is 17.50% and the minimum to get a return is 20 Pounds or about Dollars 3.50.

From an internet posting about VAT refunds I saw the following about refunds for purchases at Harrods.

“At Southampton, boarding the QE2 or the Norway, there are never any Customs representatives either. But habitual ocean travelers have learned to have United States Customs people stamp their documents at the New York pier. The only merchant that has not honored this stamp is Harrods.

Julia Ryan, director of United States marketing for Global Refund, responds: British Customs says it tries to have staff at all departure points, including ports, but sometimes an officer is called away on more urgent business. In such cases, boxes are left so that travelers can drop off their V.A.T. forms. These are then stamped, although the exports have not been checked first-hand. The forms are turned over to the company providing the refund. In the Harrods case, British Customs suggests mailing forms to the Customs office in Southhampton with an explanation, and they will review the case, as they do others received from travelers in similar circumstances. “

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions of past experiences anyone may have had.

Thanks.

cadum

Hi Cadum,

I guess you are staying the 2 nts pre and then going to Harrod's to spend that 200GBP. Good deal.....Anyway, last time I was there Harrod's had its own dept. for processing the VAT. I would go on the Harrod's website and see if there is info there. If I remember correctly, I did my purchases (raincoat and something else) and brought everything downstairs where they processed it and the VAT went back on my CC.

Enjoy the spending spree.

Bon voyage

Side story: My family and I were on a Baltic cruise on the Statendam and at one port Norway or Sweden as I remember, after we got back to the ship, there was an annoucement that the VAT tax ppl were onboard with money to return to passengers with larger purchases..... That was service from TAX ppl I never thought I see. :)

crusr & blackbird71

Thanks for you inputs. I think we will go to Harrod’s VAT dept first thing.

Of course as always can’t wait to get on board and to the SkyBar where our first toast will be to you both ...

Salud and muchas gracias!!!

cadum

Archived