Can't read books on a cruise?

cactuslady

What will you be doing instead?

Because my brain seems to shut off the moment I go on vacation, I can't read a thing. So I'll be out on the balcony knitting a lace shawl and scanning the waves for dolphins.

Any other knitters/crocheters/embroiderers/quilters out there? What's your favorite take-on-the-cruise project?

If I am not in a mood for a serious reading I like to "read" booklets about the islands we visit...with nice pictures. ;) Jeez, now I feel like 3 years old. :o

I've used to do alot of handwork. I knit for years, crochet, needlepoint but that is not something I usually bring on cruises with me.

Prior to 9-11 and the new prohibitions at airports, I used to bring small petit point projects to work on while on for very long flights or long waits in airports. Seeing as that requires needles and scissors, they no longer allow me to do my handwork.

In the Caribbean (where we hardly do excurions anymore), we enjoy reading but if cruising in Europe, we are too tired from touring and reading about our next port to do much pleasure reading.

What will you be doing instead?

Audio books ... and cd's of some of the radio ministeries. I listen to them if I am out at the pool (rare), but mostly in my cabin at night before retiring.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I will be bringing my knitting as well as some books when I am on the Maasdam next week. I had jury duty for two weeks in March and I knitted three scarves which I gave to fellow jurors. I find knitting to be very relaxing.

Marge

I enjoy reading on a cruise, and I've picked out The Secret Life of Bees for next week's Maasdam cruise. I also enjoy doing crossword puzzles. I usually save up the magazines from the New York Times for several weeks before a cruise.

Wow, this is my first post to any message board. I love to knit (thus sheephugs). On my first cruise last year I brought my knitting but never touched it...too busy doing cruise things! I'm going in November & I'll probably have to bring Christmas presents in progress. I'll also have plenty of time to work on projects on the long drive to Florida.

I've been thinking about this issue since the thread on books last week. I'll probably select a few light novels -- paperback, of course, so that I can leave them on the ship for the crew library.

However, I probably won't try to get too deep into any book; we've got a lot of port days on the East-bound Panama Canal cruise and I like to get off the ship when in port and at least just walk around.

What I know I will bring is my iPod and a large selection of classical music to listen to while walking. I'll probably also do some writing with my laptop. My next book is currently occupying a chunk of my time most days, but I may manage to get it to a point late September where I can set it aside for most of a month and come back to it when I get home. IF I do manage to do that, I may launch out on some fiction-works I've been thinking about writing. I enjoy writing, but it can often soak up a lot of time if I let it. However, in the past I've really enjoyed sitting in a corner of the Explorer's lounge, laptop on my lap, putting curser to screen to pour forth some thoughts, while my iPod plays Bach into my ears. :) With coffee or tea at my elbow, and with the rolling sea to gaze upon in reflective moments, I'm in heaven.

I do like to read mystery novels on a cruise, but I always bring a laptop along to do some writing. It's difficult to stay with one thing, either reading or writing, at home, but the Explorer's Lounge is outstanding for either of those activities.

SFJ

Heartofamerica -- My problem exactly. Those darn teak deck chairs, along with the waves, put me to sleep in a minute. I love those things, but they sure put a damper on reading or anything else. :D

Sheephugs -- Welcome to the boards. I always enjoy chatting with whoever I find knitting out and about.

Prior to 9-11 and the new prohibitions at airports, I used to bring small petit point projects to work on while on for very long flights or long waits in airports. Seeing as that requires needles and scissors, they no longer allow me to do my handwork.

The solution to the scissors problem is the little round thread cutters that have several small blades set around the edge, with a decorative edge that goes beyond them to protect the blades. They are available at needlework shops and work well -- they cut close to the fabric. They're also pretty and can be worn as a pendant around your neck.

The word from Homeland Security is that all knitting needles and crochet hooks are OK to carry on. No mention of embroidery needles on their official list at http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=20&content=331. I imagine that tapestry needles, being blunt, would not present a problem. Does anyone have any recent knowledge of whether these are allowed?

Also, does anyone know of stricter rules on international flights?

How about HAL? Are you allowed to sneak these things aboard? ( Don't get excited, this is just to keep this thread on a HAL-related topic. ;) )

I just bought two more books to bring on our cruise. In addition to the ones I mentioned last week in the other thread, I just picked up:

The Stones of Summer by Dow Mossman....looks like a fabulous read.

Skinny Dipping by Carl Hiaasen....just hit the shelves today and sounds like "interesting" cruise ship reading. Seems our main character tosses his wife overboard from the cruiseship they are vacationing on. I heard the author speaking this morning with Katie Couric and he "caught my attention". Thus the reason for my trip to Barnes and Noble.

Skinny Dipping by Carl Hiaasen....just hit the shelves today and sounds like "interesting" cruise ship reading. Seems our main character tosses his wife overboard from the cruiseship they are vacationing on. I heard the author speaking this morning with Katie Couric and he "caught my attention". Thus the reason for my trip to Barnes and Noble.

First of all it's "Skinny Dip", not Dipping - have the book right in front of me. I finished reading it last night and didn't think it was one of Hiaasen's best. I have read all his books and I don't know how to put it, but although they are funny, he's way out there. :p It's a fast read.

One of his books, Strip Tease was made into the movie of the same name with Demi Moore.

Hope you enjoy it! :)

If I am not in a mood for a serious reading I like to "read" booklets about the islands we visit...with nice pictures. ;) Jeez, now I feel like 3 years old. :o

Too Funny, Tatka ! :D

Absolutely LOVE to read at home ... but, like you, AT SEA, same as you!!!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

It depends on the cruise how much I read. This time on the Maasdam with all the ports I read only the new Lisa Scottoline.

B&N must have had a big day today- I put in an online order for the Sue Grafton "R" book out today, 2 Jane Austen's to re-read, and the latest in a British detective series I'm mad about. Maybe I should book a cruise for next week!

DW loves to read while on vacation. I try it, but I usually get distracted . I tend to keep looking up, see who's walking by, what activities are going on, watch the ocean, etc. DW feels bad because she thinks she's boring me. I enjoy that she can sit back and relax. At home she's very much the type 'A' personality.

Besides, I have trouble getting much reading in during the 15 minutes between meals.;) :D

I enjoy having a book to read. I just hope the cruise lines don't start charging for library books. Then they would check luggage for people sneaking on their own books.

Oops! Maybe I shouldn't give them ideas.

While I read half a dozen books or more weekly (usually, not lately) at home, I'm much too busy touring, relaxing, and spending time with my husband on a cruise. I think people just tend to do something out of their daily "rut".

Cactus Lady....

You can bring any sort of needlework and the supplies and tools you need to do it aboard the ship. There are loads of sharp knives aboard that could easily be misused if one were so inclined so there would be no sense in forbidding sharp needlework supplies.

Of course, weapons of any sort are never allowed. But a needlepoint needle should be no problem.

... However, in the past I've really enjoyed sitting in a corner of the Explorer's lounge, laptop on my lap, putting curser to screen to pour forth some thoughts, while my iPod plays Bach into my ears. :) With coffee or tea at my elbow, and with the rolling sea to gaze upon in reflective moments, I'm in heaven.
That's my idea of a great way to spend a cruise as well...without going online either. The only difference is that I don't have an iPod, so I just use my CD drive on my laptop and headphones.

For those who are motivated by the Rev.'s pastime, don't think about sitting outside. The screen is tough to see in sunlight and the salt sea air isn't the best atmosphere for your laptop.

For those who are motivated by the Rev.'s pastime, don't think about sitting outside. The screen is tough to see in sunlight and the salt sea air isn't the best atmosphere for your laptop.

Correct ... this is not an outdoor activity. On longer cruises I do manage to spend some good creative time writing, but I always do it indoors. My favorite spot is the Explorer's Lounge, although I found that the Piano Lounge/Bar is another great place to go if I need quite and to get away from some people. If I'm having power problems (two batteries usually give me enough power for writings purposes), I'm told there are several power ports in the explorer's lounge but I will need an adapter for my plug (the computer has an internal converter switch to allow it to handle the different cycles). I'll be ready this time ... last time I wasn't and had to limit my writing time to just a couple of hours at a time.

Archived