Back to ANTARCTICA!

digby

I just got a copy of a new "O" brochure for their 2007/2008 Winter Collection. For one cruise only, Insignia will return to Antarctica. This cruise leaves Buenos Aires on 12/21 and arrives in Valpariso on 1/10. After visiting the Falklands, it will travel to Antarctica for 3 days. I took a similar cruise on Insignia a couple of years ago, but we did not go to the Falklands. This cruise lasts 20 days, ours was 17. It was a wonderful trip. We were on board for the Holidays, and it was very festive. We were surprised they didn't include Antarctiuca last or this season. I wouldn't mind doing this trip again!

Princess is doing one in Feb 2008 for 21 days, landing on Antarctica.

That Princess cruise is actually misleading. They cannot land on Antarctica since they restrict the number of visitors on the continent to about 100. Since that ship holds 2800 people, they will cruising past the area, not actually stopping.

That Princess cruise is actually misleading. They cannot land on Antarctica since they restrict the number of visitors on the continent to about 100. Since that ship holds 2800 people, they will cruising past the area, not actually stopping.

Absolutely right. It's a sail by.

And the waters are rough. When we sailed from Ushuaia, we had 2 days of being thrown all over the ship; I was thrown onto my bed; I was thrown in the bathroom. Taking a shower was pinning myself against the wall and not moving. I do not get seasick and never missed a drink or a meal. And every bit of roughness was totally worth it. To get on a Zodiac and make a landing and seeing penguins and icebergs was not to be forgotten. Sure, you can see icebergs from Princess or Oceania, but it's like looking at candy through a closed store window as opposed to getting your hands into the barrel. No comparison.

I didn't check the times before on the itinerary

I guess they just stop by the islands there & let the people look ashore .

A couple of them they are only stopped for 2 minutes :confused:

http://www.princess.com/pb/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=9805&date=0208&noOfPax=2&definition_name=

I to got the same thing and will be taking it and the one just before it. I was going to take the Rotterdam on it's antartic cruise at the same time of the year but the Oceania balcony for both cruises is the same as just the Rotterdam. Will be booking them in the next three week. Just paid for a PO cruise this Nov.

In all fairness, you will be going PAST Antarctica. You will have no Zodiac landings, so you won't be on the continent. If you want to do that, you'll have to go on one of the Explorer cruises or Marco Polo.

True, which was just perfect for us. We didn't feel at this point in life we wanted to be hopping on and off Zodiacs, but still wanted to see Antarctica. The ship sails very close to the shore line, and we lots of wild life as well as beautiful gaciers.

I heard that the sea around Anarctica is very rough indeed. You may even need "bed belts" to avoid falling off! You have to be very resistant to sea sickness. Antarctica is for the fit and the brave!

That was not true on our sailing. The roughest part of the trip is often between SA and Antarctica, but we didn't experience any really rough weather coming or going. I think the seas were rougher as we left Val. until we got to the Fjords. Needless to say there were weather extremes -- 80s in Chile, 28 or so in Antarctica, and 94 in BA. Lots of sea days and beautiful scenery!

The excellent British cruise line, Saga Cruises, does 3 stops via Zodiac in Antarctica. It is a segment of the Saga Rose World Cruise that I will be joining in Rio in January 2008 to Valparaiso.

As always, due to unpredictable weather conditions at the end of the globe, I figure that 3 stops gives me 3 chances to set foot on the last continent of my Seven Continents collection.

Digby - the roughest seas by far I have encountered in decades of sailing were the North Seas above the Arctic Circle on the way to Svalbard. I'm keen to see how it goes in Antarctica. Sort of a challenge of "Top that!"

Ruby

Ruby, Interesting. When I sailed to Svalbard a couple of years ago, the seas were calm. I guess it's a crap shoot. Esther

Hey Esther! So good to hear from someone who's been to Svalbard. Did you go to Longyearbyen and Ny Alesund? In June 2005, Saga Ruby (the ship) spent hours in Magdalenefjord as we watched a polar bear clamber out of the glacial water onto the land, then wander up and around the crags, bellysurfing in the snow from mountain top to coastline. What a thrill for us pax!

Another bear was in the water as we left. It was the thrill of a lifetime. Ironically, Globaliser was on the Sea Princess at the exact same time and they didn't see the bears because the ship is too big to go past the mouth of the bay.

Heavy seas for me - always transiting out of the Panama Canal into the Atlantic, Barcelona transat to San Juan, the North Sea in a walkaway. I was bracing one elbow on a dresser and one elbow on a wall to stay in bed.

So many pax ask if the seas will be rough on their particular cruise. As you say, it's a matter of kismet.

Happy sails!

Ruby

We went to Antactica last year with Lindblad Expeditions, which has merged with National Geographic. The ship held about 100 passengers and everybody had the opportunity to get off at all landings and take the Zodiacs to the islands and Antarctic peninsula. We even were able to kayak around the icebergs. Those who take the Marco Polo or Discovery ship will get off the ship a couple of times. Although they only accept about 350 passengers, they have to stagger the landings, because only 100 people can be let off at a landing.

That said, the trip down was horrific. The seas were very rough and everybody (except my husband) was seasick. He was the only one to make it to breakfast and came back covered with the cereal that flew around the dining room. Quite an experience, especially because once you get down there, the water is totally calm.

My husband posted some pictures on his web site, for those who are interested. The site is http://www.pbase.com/michaelblum/galleries

What lovely pix you have on that website! Your husband has an excellent eye for beauty. Although the photos remind me a lot of Far North, there is certainly a distinctive iceblue beauty to the bergs, the birds, and the frozen lands.

I have to kid you - were y'all put into 2-man canoes or did they actually let you ride in the Zodiacs?!!

Globaliser has some fine photos of Deception Island and his trip to Antarctica - now y'all have gotten me all excited about my Saga Rose cruise.

If y'all liked Antarctica and the wildlife, I would highly recommend Saga Cruises out of Southampton for a Far North itinerary. They sail along the entire west coast of Norway, all the famous fjords, then up to Svalbard where we saw the polar bears and other arctic wildlife. We almost touched 80 degrees but were turned back by the polar ice pack. It was weird sailing for days to get south to the Arctic Circle.

That Saga cruise is called "Land of the Midnight Sun" and it's a 15-day cruise, Dover to Dover or whatever British port they will use. This cruise line sails beautiful small ships of 680 pax, exquisite service, fine food, one seating for dining. If RCI takes over Oceania, I'm gonna pitch a tent on Saga Cruises and never leave.

If you're looking for a unique itinerary, full of natural beauty and animal excitement, check it out. I think it's www.sagacruises.com.

Thanks so much for sharing your Antarctica pix - can't wait!

Happy sails!

Ruby

Hey Esther! So good to hear from someone who's been to Svalbard. Did you go to Longyearbyen and Ny Alesund? In June 2005, Saga Ruby (the ship) spent hours in Magdalenefjord as we watched a polar bear clamber out of the glacial water onto the land, then wander up and around the crags, bellysurfing in the snow from mountain top to coastline. What a thrill for us pax!

Another bear was in the water as we left. It was the thrill of a lifetime. Ironically, Globaliser was on the Sea Princess at the exact same time and they didn't see the bears because the ship is too big to go past the mouth of the bay.

Heavy seas for me - always transiting out of the Panama Canal into the Atlantic, Barcelona transat to San Juan, the North Sea in a walkaway. I was bracing one elbow on a dresser and one elbow on a wall to stay in bed.

So many pax ask if the seas will be rough on their particular cruise. As you say, it's a matter of kismet.

Happy sails!

Ruby

We made it to 79 degrees. It was Fred Olsen Braemar and I was very pleased with the line. Food, so-so, but nice, nice ship and fantastic entertainment every night.

How lucky you were to see polar bears!!!! Never did see them, but I guess the ship was too big to get into some small places. However, I did get up at 5:30 to see walrooses, as the captain called them. We went into Trollfjord and I wasn't sure how he was going to get out! I felt l could have reached out and touched the sides of the mountains.

Saga is a wonderful line, and it was a contender; I can't remember why we didn't go on it. I traveled with a friend from the UK, so maybe I didn't have any choice!!!!:)

Esther

For those who think it important to actually step onto Antarctica, Discovery Cruises, using the greatly refurbished original Island Princess (now called MV Discovery), offers landings via Zodiac.[/quote

Druke

For me it wasn't "important to actually step onto Antarctica" as much as it was to encounter the pristine stillness of the peninsula and the excitement of landings. To walk among penguins was something I will never have the chance to do again probably. To be at a landing and look back to where the ship was anchored and see icebergs near was an amazing experience.

We had many more than 3 landings on the Marco Polo. Every day was at least one, and once two. It took me 45 minutes to suit up the first day, but every day after I managed to cut a few minutes off.

Anyone who is content to sail by will definitely enjoy the scenery. But this old broad needed more!!!!:)

Esther

We went to Antactica last year with Lindblad Expeditions, which has merged with National Geographic. The ship held about 100 passengers and everybody had the opportunity to get off at all landings and take the Zodiacs to the islands and Antarctic peninsula. We even were able to kayak around the icebergs. Those who take the Marco Polo or Discovery ship will get off the ship a couple of times. Although they only accept about 350 passengers, they have to stagger the landings, because only 100 people can be let off at a landing.

That said, the trip down was horrific. The seas were very rough and everybody (except my husband) was seasick. He was the only one to make it to breakfast and came back covered with the cereal that flew around the dining room. Quite an experience, especially because once you get down there, the water is totally calm.

My husband posted some pictures on his web site, for those who are interested. The site is www.pbase.com/michaelblum/galleries

Mrs. Lindblad had a group of Asians on our cruise. She was their tour guide.

Absolutely gorgeous photos. Thanks for sharing.

Esther

Happy sails!

Ruby

Yep. We were all the way up there where you were.

Esther

Archived