How do y'all afford to cruise so often??

Lots of payments.

I've just started cruising and have found if I book early and can make regular payments ... that's the ticket.

Will be much easier once my car is paid off as well :rolleyes:

I agree, once the truck is paid off (2 more years) then can afford to cruise once a year for sure. Or as long as the truck holds out. LOL Booking a year in advance and making the payments is a good idea!

We are faithful about loyalty programs. (funny statement I guess) We use Delta ffm, and often travel for free. (although I'm gettin done with them lately) We try to run most of our expenses through our Amex for the points but don't carry the balance, just pay it off at the end of the month. You have to be very careful and check your account online to make sure that you are in fact going grocercy shopping and not just whipping out the card like it's free money.

When we first started doing this we were amazed how much money we spent, so getting a handle on it and just using the card BECAUSE you have the money in your pocket to pay the bill is the mindset you need. I make cash money so I put the money away and build it up and then put it in the bank and pay my bill

We have been cruising about every other year, and do land based vaca's as well. I'm interested in getting the credit card for RCCL since I'm sure we will be traveling with this lines more often. Can anyone tell me what type of card they offer? Also where and when is the best place to get that? Here now? On the ship? Thanks.

FYI we don't do the presents thing, we don't have all the bobbles that some folks seem to love, so vaca's are where we like to splurge. If I were able time wise to spend more on vacation, I may go more value oriented but with once a year we like the nicer amenities.

• 3 weeks later...

I just love to cruise!!! Whenever someone suggests going on vacation I search for an itinerary I think they will like and then bring it up. I save my Worldperks miles for the flight or look for the least expensive flight fare before I look for a cruise. I found a fare last week for $194 round trip to galveston and an oceanview for $309 pp so I asked my daughter if she would like to go. Told her I would give her the air fare for Christmas if she paid the cruise and it worked. I travel with my sister, friends, daughters, whoever wants to go!! I would like to cruise at least two times a year but I have more vacation than anyone else so that becomes a problem. I will continue to cruise as often as possible, cruising can be very inexpensive if you look at all the options and plan wisely.

I've only been on one previously but have 2 booked.

Splendour for 4 nights in Nov, Rhapsody for 7 in June. We got an amazing deal for an inside cabin all port charges for less than 2500 total. (that is well over the total for both cruises together)

If we keep being able to get these rates, I'll be cruising 2-3 times a year.

I also live right outside of Houston, so no airfare for me.

Personally, I have in the past worked 2 jobs to save for a cruise. We go every two years. But I tend to agree, how the h e double hockey sticks do these people afford so many. Oh, they have $$$$$$$$$$. I'm just envious, that's all. I was on one cruise and a couple @ mid to late 50's said that, that was their 47th cruise, with 48 & 49 booked. I wish.

Happy cruisin'

The NCL/MBNA credit card is wonderful, and has allowed our family of 4 to travel for next to nothing on 4 cruises in the past 3 years! They give you 3% back towards an NCL cruise. I run my own business, and am able now to charge most of the expenses I used to pay by check....... You can only earn 1000 points per year, but can get multiple cards (my wife and I have 4!). We pay the balance at the end of the month, and rotate the cards as we max out on points.

I have yet to see any other cruise line CC that gives anywhere near 3%....

Bruce Lowder

Personally, I have in the past worked 2 jobs to save for a cruise. We go every two years. But I tend to agree, how the h e double hockey sticks do these people afford so many. Oh, they have $$$$$$$$$$. I'm just envious, that's all. I was on one cruise and a couple @ mid to late 50's said that, that was their 47th cruise, with 48 & 49 booked. I wish.

Happy cruisin'

I agree, I am envious too! Wish I could do that many! At the very most, I can only do 1 cruise a year or 1 every 2 years. I am happy with that, as it is better to cruise, than not to cruise I say!! :D

I just save and book 12 months in advance and pay it off.

:cool: My 93 year old grandmother, as her gift to the family, has taken the 10 of us on a Christmas cruise each year for the past 3 years, upcoming makes #4. Dh and I missed out on #1 Christmas cruise due to family obligations, ie. my in-laws. Although my grandmother took us on a Thanksgiving cruise to make up for it, dh and I did not make that mistake twice.

I am blessed to have such a wonderful grandmother, but this is still not a free vacation. We do not "do the spa", but 2 or 3 bottles of wine, a couple of soda cards, a couple of photos, shore excursions, PLUS, this year, $300 in gratuities...I cannot remember the last time we went out to dinner or even had take out pizza trying to saving $$$ for our expenses for the trip. :cool:

I agree if you shop around you can find great deals. We try to take one a year and we really have to save for it. I was playing around looking for cheap cruises and found a 5 day out of Galvestion for two people in January for 600.00 total. Then I found a 7 day out of New Orleans in December for 771.00 total. I can't take either one of these because of work but great prices if you can.

Well we are just getting ready for our first cruise but plan to do it once a year. The office I work for has a christmas savings club where you can put it whatever amount you want from each paycheck and get a check for that amount on Nov. 1st of each year. Well, I was worried at first that I would miss it but now I'm used to it and have 100.00 per check put in there. That gives me exactly 2000.00 every Nov. 1st, part of which is spent on Christmas and part of which will pay for our cruise for two. Thats my plan anyway!

No cable TV ($500), no cell phone ($500), dial up Internet ($200) and minimal video games ($400). Of course my deprived kiddo got stuck becoming a SCUBA diver, Ti Quon Do belt holder and sent down the road to become an Eagle Scout. Then again he's been on about a dozen cruises...

It is a matter of setting priorities and digging for discounts. Cruising can be cheaper than other forms of travel when done right.

Ok, I've seen everyone's posts listing all their past cruises and upcoming cruises. Most times, they're only weeks or 2-3 months apart. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? There's no way I could afford that! My family and I generally take one big vacation a year in the summer, and maybe 2 short trips (2 or 3 days) in spring and fall. Does anyone vacation doing something else besides cruising, or is cruising the ONLY WAY to vacation to the majority on these boards? My husband and I are planning on a 7 day cruise on the Mariner in Nov. 2007, and I have to start planning and saving NOW! Anyone else out there in my shoes?

I totally agree with "it's a matter of setting priorities and digging for discounts." We have family that make far more money than we do-- yet they always say "we could never afford a cruise". We very rarely eat out, do not buy anything if it is not on sale-- I guess we are very frugal/ (My kids say-"cheap!":) ) I would much rather take 2 cruises in an inside guarantee-- than one in a balcony cabin. (I know that for some- they would rather have the balcony and one cruise. ) Also we do not buy souveniers, or rack up huge on board accounts-- usually it is just our tips- maybe one bottle of wine-- and a couple of $10 watches! We have NEVER gone on a cruiseline sponsored excursion, instead opting for researching online-- and doing it on our own. There are bargains out there-- waiting to be found! Happy cruising!!! :D

We always try to find a good 'deal'. Try to go off season. I get a lot of online agency emails, some are just too good to turn down! We just got one last week, for past military personnel, 8 day Mexican Riviera San Diego - Acapulco for #399 pp inside. That included the port charges. I didn't have to think very long on that one. It was limited to 25 cabins per sailing so we jumped on it. December 9. We don't need to buy pictures, drinks, will take my own diet coke on board and try to sneak in a bottle of wine or two. We have done Mexico several times so no shore excursions. We will literally only have to pay for the parking at the pier and tips. Also, we live in Southern Utah so we can drive to San Diego and save the airfare. That's how we do it. Most of our trips are truly pretty cheap. I can't do that price for a week's car trip and I love that I only pack and unpack once.

We only took a couple cruises when the boys were young, took them once on a Disney trip...they have since gone with us a couple times as adults and they will join us the end of March 2007 for our 30th anniversary cruise on the Caribbean Princess. That will be pricey but even on that one the cost per cabin dropped a few weeks ago so we got a lower rate then what we paid for in June. But it will still be expensive and we will have airfare for 6 to Florida. Oh well, 30 years that's an accomplishment.

Have a good evening..

We took our 1st cruise this past May & I am hooked.. I am retired & Dh is semi-retired. Kids grown & gone, sold house, live in apartment owned by daughter ( low rent & staying low...LOL :D ),apartment living has low living expenses ( heat.cooling etc.), cars paid off, shop with coupons, watch for bargains, don't go out much, don't smoke, own trailer in campground at the Jersey shore for summers, 99 yr lease in campground makes staying there very inexpensive, cruise before rates go up & watch for prices to go down once booked, use past cruiser & military discounts. As everyone here has already stated it's all in how you spend your money & shop. My goal is to take 2 cruises each year. Hopefully I will be able to meet my goal.... :rolleyes: Also we are lucky to have enough income to live comfortably & Dh works part time for extras. He refuses to stop working because he says "the men he sees doing nothing when they retire die" .I do not think that is so & would really like him to quit so we could travel more but he won't,plus he does not like to travel. I, on the other hand love to travel.

When we did work a lot of our money went to put youngest daughter thru college, pay for 3 weddings & buy trailer and the 99 yr.lease. With that all behind us now we can spend money on vacations, vacations, vacations...LOL :D

Our first cruise in 2003 was free gift from my husbands company and that included all bar bills and tips/taxes. Our only expense was any trinkets we bought. Then I got sick two months after. At age 47 Drs were thinking the worst. Turned out B12 deficiency neuropathy of all 4 limbs..not great but not a death blow like everything else they were testing me for..and oh boy did they run teh tests.

Our second cruise we took 10/26/06 as our 30th anniversary even tho we had that anniversary back in april lol. We didn't take our sons..because they were in school but they were greatly offended lol. They are 13 and 18 with the older one being in college. These past 3 yrs financially had been extremely tough on us all. It took 3 yrs to get disability grrr. I and Dh are just happy I am alive and able to go so far. We used tax money for this last one. He found a great deal for Jan 4th though so talked me into booking it. Carnivals staff got us an even better deal when we booked than what was advertised on the net. We don't travel except to our sons band concerts..my sons college is on a full scholarship because of his band talents :D ..we are basically stay at homers by choice. We chose to watch dvds rather than go to theater since the cold in theaters causes me so much pain. We do get our sons fast food once a week..they have each one online internet game they play and so do I lol. This Jan cruise my DH actually took out part of his 401k since this is a family first cruise. We don't know day to day how my health will go and my DH wants to make sure every wish that comes out of my mouth gets granted. I do have to be careful what comes out lol. This could easily be my last as I am getting weaker and have to use a wheelchair for any long walking and a cane for short walks. So we definately have changed our priorities. I know no one knows what tomorrow will bring..but we face a bit more realistically. Our house will be paid off in 5 yrs if my younger son also gets a band scholarship lol. My truck that I bought in 2000 new only has 50k miles on it since I rarely drive and live 4 miles from town and has been paid off for 3 yrs. Enjoy each day as if it may be your last.

My DH and I love to cruise. We can only go on 2 a year because he cannot take any more time off at this time.

We do not go out to eat very often and we also rent dvds to watch; we do alot of entertainment with our grandson (and he loves to cruise also).

We cruise during off season (not peak) to get the best deals and if I cannot swing a balcony cabin, we do not sweat it. I'd rather be on the ship cruising than at home.

Of course, I do have a part-time job that I work every now and then to make extra money. I call it my hobby though because it really doesn't seem like work.

We take four "major trips" per year . In 2006 we did a 10 Day Alaska Cruise, a 10 Day Copper Canyon Railroad Tour, a 30 Day Panama Canal/Amazon cruise, and a East Coast tour of Boston, New York, Wash DC, and Virginia.

This was in addition to hosting our annual Family reunion golf tournament.

You asked HOw Do You Do It ? We are retired (58 yr old) We worked, invested in stock for years, and also made a lot in real estate investments. It wasn't relly that hard, just keep plugging away like the Grasshopper and Ant and one of these days you'll wake up, discover you made it, and retire. That's what we did. We didn't plan it, it just happened to us.

Living close to the ports is the biggest help (curse) for me. Watching for specials or drops in prices. Most of my cruises have come in at around $250-$350pp for a 5-day cruise. I am leaving on Nov 27th solo for $262 for 5-days on the Fantasy which includes a single supplement. The 4-day cruise my wife left on today with her female kinfolk, I was able to get for them at $267pp in a Cat 6D oceanview cabin.

I am going on a 15-night cruise next year and I am thankful I booked early. We are paying $2200 total for two for a Balcony. The cruise has already gone up $900 for the same cabin since I booked.

Take advantage of the low prices for the Caribbean now. With a good hurricane season this year, people will be flocking back next year which will cause the prices to rise.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

We are not able to cruise yet that often, due to the fact...we have 2 daughters in college and my husband works full time outside the home.

I have an online business so that frees me up more than his job. That is why I am able to go on another cruise in less than 6 months from our last one. However, my next cruise will be with my DF and NO DHs will be along this time.

With talking to some friends we made on our last cruise this is how they are able to cruise so often:

1.) They are both retired with no kids living at home

2.) Home is paid for

3.) Live close to cruise ports and can drive and not fly to the cruise port

4.) Have good health and do not have to spend much on medicine/medical care yet

5.) Do not spend much on board, bring their own wine (when allowed), do not do the ship's excursions...do their own thing at port or research the activities before leaving on the cruise and use local businesses for those excursion-which are always cheaper than the ships.

6.) Live a basis-budgeted life. Save up for cruising and find it is a much more economical vacation than going somewhere which requires air travel, hotel cost, restaurant and entertainment cost. All this is included in the cruise fare...and they can drive to the cruise ports to board the ships.

I have taken these suggestions to heart. When my DH and I retire, we have wanted to do two things...travel and retire in a warmer climate state. With this in mind, we might opt to move to either FL or TX. That way we can drive to cruise ports, save the cost of air fare and be able to cruise more often.

:)Happy Cruising!:)

Archived