How do y'all afford to cruise so often??

Cruised a bunch back in the 70's when people were just discovering what a great vacation and value it was.

Then we raised kids, paid for college, etc,etc,etc.

Now, we cruise 2 or 3 times a year. We worked for it, we earned it and we darn well will not become worm food without wearing these bodies out and we are not that old....we put the wimps to bed most nights and are already finishing breakfast when they come in to the dining room in the morning!!!

AMEN!!!!!!!:D

The truth is that most of us are liars. Oh sure, we've probably all been on one or two cruises, but those claims of having been on dozens of cruises are all made up. In the anonymous world of the Internet we just make stuff up to impress all these other anonymous people that we will never meet...:eek:

And that's how i got to diamond Plus status!

The truth is that most of us are liars. Oh sure, we've probably all been on one or two cruises, but those claims of having been on dozens of cruises are all made up. In the anonymous world of the Internet we just make stuff up to impress all these other anonymous people that we will never meet...:eek:

How very true...more fiction here than in your local public library.

I started my own home based business so I could be home with the kids. And I attended everything and helped out at the school, homework, class mom, team mom, etc., I always stressed the importance of school and learning, we never pulled them out of school for vacations.

And boy did it pay off in the end. Both kids are now at very prestigious schools with 75% scholarships. So their college funds are now our cruise fund.

I have a gig similar to rcclbound. I am a ticket-taker for major sporting events. I do this really for fun as my youngest are in their last year of college and it gives me something to do. Although I've been cruising for 20 years, there have been some years I nixed the idea for land travel. Just lately it seems a better deal to cruise 2-3 times a year.

Ok, I've seen everyone's posts listing all their past cruises and upcoming cruises. Most times, they're only weeks or 2-3 months apart. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? There's no way I could afford that! My family and I generally take one big vacation a year in the summer, and maybe 2 short trips (2 or 3 days) in spring and fall. Does anyone vacation doing something else besides cruising, or is cruising the ONLY WAY to vacation to the majority on these boards? My husband and I are planning on a 7 day cruise on the Mariner in Nov. 2007, and I have to start planning and saving NOW! Anyone else out there in my shoes?

Truth be told I'm still paying for my last 2 cruises!:o

Dang sail and sign cards....

When we first started cruising, it was hit or miss, maybe 1 cruise every couple of years. Then we alternated between cruising and land vacations. Now I cannot stay off of ships. We have been crusing twice a year for a couple of years. I book inside cabins and check the boards everyday for the price drops. In some cases I save a substantial amount of money, on in the case of my upcoming cruise, got a fabulous deal on a Conceirge Cabin, (couldn;t resist). If all else fails, there is always the sign and travel option with American Express, Idon;t leave home without it. I am fortunate in my job (high stress), that my boss understands that I must have at least 3 or 4 weeks vacation a year. Also go to our home in Florida which we just purchased in March. Just a small place, but perfect for a getaway. Of course that opens up more cruising options for us as well.

From the day, I started work in 1972, I lived on 50% of my salary and saved or invested the other half. The man I married had a similar pattern for living expenses and investing. Since we basically earned the same salaries, that meant after marriage, we lived on one salary and invested the other.

The day I realized I was pregnant, we started a college fund.

Because of the savings and investing, we have always been able to travel

(3 weeks a year at first, 2-3 months at the end of our careers).

We paid for a 5 year BA/MAT college program for our daughter from the college investment fund.

I retired at 55.

My advice is to find a good certified finiancial planner and budget, save and invest.

We started with a cruise to nowhere (offered by Carnival-included open bar for two days !!!!!) I think that was the highest cost per day we have spent. But, it gave us a taste of what cruising is like and we have not turned back since!

We look for deals, travel off season (it is always warm where we are cruising), and limit the amount of money we spend on board. Up until now we have done 1 cruise per year. This year we are doing three- some people will pay the same amount for just one sailing. I don't mind having an inside cabin and sharing a room with my kids (they are still young).

Living in Maryland I know many families that spend at least what we do to take our family of 5 on a cruise for a week to stay in hotel in Ocean City- $300-$350 per night. And, at the beach you just get the beach- no food, entertainment, babysitting...... Cruising can be a very economical trip if it is priced right.

Next year we only have one booked- that will probably be all we do. ;) At least that is what DH thinks!

We are middle aged with kids. We started a family later on and realized if we wait till our youngest is grown , we may be too old to enjoy the cruise like we do. Our eldest daughter is in college but she is doing community college for a few years. ( probably 3.... she likes to work and spend her money on clothes so she does not take full load of classes each term). So we have that money to spend on us since she pays for her classes. Once she goes away to a school we will take out a loan and so will she. But we plan on cruising still. Our other kids are 11 and 10. We take them out of school and cruise when the prices are the lowest. We do not get one cabin which would be less money...but it is a vacation and I want my privacy! We get a balcony and inside for them. I work part time and I say that is our trip money plus ... We use our Airtran visa and get free flights, so at least some of that is paid for. I just look at it as a necessary expense of living. I give this to myself yearly as something to look forward to. I can save the money till I am older and can really afford it...but there are no guarentees in life so I am living it now.

My and DH's birthdays, our anniversary, Xmas, & Valentines Day all fall within a two month period. Instead of buying each other gifts (that we may or may not need or like anyway) for these occasions, we decided to give ourselves at least one cruise a year instead. As I previously stated, cruise off-season & drive to ports. Live 80 mi. from New Orleans & about 6 hrs. from Houston/Galveston. Cruises have been the most relaxing vacations we've had! Also think it's the best vacation for the money.

We have no children and have liberal vacation policies at work. We seldom spend for gifts for each other. Our next cruise is either a Christmas, birthday or anniversary present. We take advantage of booking on board, shareholder benefit, and the RCCL VISA card. We will be Platinum after our next cruise and Diamond within a year. We appreciate how fortunate we are to have all this and enjoy cruise to the fullest!

Yes, home of the Gorillas! And we've found out that Gorilla fans not only like their bananas but hotdogs, nachos & pretzels in truckloads!!! We have 4 teenagers so their really working hard for their cruise fare but they enjoy the work too! Have you been to Gorilla country before???

Never been to Gorilla country, other than the silverback section of Zoo Atlanta, but there've been some successful NCAA Div. II football teams from pittsburg state, so I'm familiar enough to know the nickname, which just ends up striking me as one of the more fun nicknames.

How very true...more fiction here than in your local public library.

Okay I'm curious . . . I believe that superjerry's comment was tongue in cheek, but do you seriously believe this to be true? I mean, I admit that I can think of a poster or two whom I generally take with a grain of salt, but I guess I never really thought of it as a widespread thing. I mean, nobody that I've come across claims to be European royalty or a Nobel prize winner or anything . . . :D

Anyway just curious. :)

I think one of the biggest misconceptions about cruising is that it's expensive.

I'm not saying it's cheap, but if you learn the ins and outs, you can cruise very economically. Combined with repeat cruise discounts and upgrades and stock owner credits, it can be even more reasonable.

You get credits by owning stock in the cruise line? Tell me more. This is interesting.

Only cruise coming up - Mariner of the Seas - October 22nd

My husband and I vacation as often as we can. We love to cruise (23 total) but also do other things. We have been to Europe twice this year (10 days each). We just returned from 2 cruises back to back-one on Princess and one on RCCL. A June trip to San Antonio and 2 5day trips to Phoenix and Orlando. We both work and have one son in final year of college.Our "secret" is that we look for deals--Hotwire,credit card miles, special promotions. I am able to use my 4 weeksof vacation time very creatively in order to get the time off. It is possible to take great trips without spending a lot of money thanks to the internet!

Our priority is cruising and thankfully my new DH is already O.A.T.C.:) We aren't taking mini-vacations, will be looking for bargains (still) and cruising in the off season ex. to Caribbean in July-Sept when it's just too dang hot! Lots of our friends take long weekends to the beach etc. and then one cruise or "big Vacation" but we've made a conscious decision just to cruise at least x 2 a year! and we are fortunate that we can drive to FL, esp. Tampa and Port Canaveral.

I really commend those that have been able to take more than one cruise a year or even one every year. I am just now able to afford one. I saved for a year and got it paid and now we are going! We can't retire yet as we are not old enough and am still paying for college for the last one (thank god!). My plan now is to try and go at least once every two years. Keeping my fingers crossed and the toes!

Archived