Scuba eqiupment

osd9

Hi:

I am new to this board and would like to ask a question with regard to bringing your own scuba equipment on a cruise. I was PADI certified this past April. I also got my NITROX C-Card and will have my AOWD C-Card in a week or so. I bought all my own gear for local wreck diving, and I am getting very comfortable with it.

I am going on a Carnival cruise this January with stops in Cozumel, Belize and Grand Cayman. There are 10 couples from my neighborhood going on the cruise, and you guessed it, I am the only diver. I am 50 years old and have just discovered that I love diving.

The big question is:should I bring my own equipment (Except tanks and weights) and would it be a advisable to ship the equipment down ahead. Also, does anyone know the added cost to take dive equipment on the plane (flying from NJ to Florida).

Thanks in advance for any advise,

later,

dom

Hi:

I am new to this board and would like to ask a question with regard to bringing your own scuba equipment on a cruise. I was PADI certified this past April. I also got my NITROX C-Card and will have my AOWD C-Card in a week or so. I bought all my own gear for local wreck diving, and I am getting very comfortable with it.

I am going on a Carnival cruise this January with stops in Cozumel, Belize and Grand Cayman. There are 10 couples from my neighborhood going on the cruise, and you guessed it, I am the only diver. I am 50 years old and have just discovered that I love diving.

The big question is:should I bring my own equipment (Except tanks and weights) and would it be a advisable to ship the equipment down ahead. Also, does anyone know the added cost to take dive equipment on the plane (flying from NJ to Florida).

later,

dom

I've been a diver and a cruiser for over 20 years....

In my early diving/cruising days I often carried the entire rig with me. The plus was having all my own gear and the minus was the hassle of dragging it and the lack of storage on the average cruise ship. Today it is worse because there's an increasing distain for you to leave equipment out on the balcony to dry out (hmmmm, wonder why? WINDSTAR had a special area to store gear tho....) I once was carrying two sets - mfs, regs, bcds, one shorty and one fj's. Our comfort level was enhanced by having all our own gear and fortunately we often drove to the embarkation port.

Today I carry the minimum. I'm more comfortable with rental gear - which franky is usually in decent shape - and, I'm just a bit more lazy I guess :o . In order, I take these items first, working down the list based on space and how much and what type of diving I might do on the cruise (which frankly is always limited as compared to a dedicated dive trip) mask (a good fitting mask is the key to a good dive IMHO), regs (breathing is good too and yes I am more comfortable with my own mouthpiece), bcd (if I have the space, comfort is increased), fins, wet suit.

I'm still at a stage where I prefer all of my own equipment so I bring it along.

One of the bags we pack is a 30" rolling duffel bag where all of our diving and snorkeling equipment goes (my wife only snorkels but has all of her own equipment).

My BCD is set up with clips and cords to attach my camera equipment and my reg has a back up computer to the wrist model that I wear. I like having everything in its place and being set up so I don't watch my camera take a trip to the bottom on its own.

In the duffel bag are two smaller bags that collapse and pack neatly so that we can carry our gear to the diving and/or snorkeling site without the hassle of the big bag.

I always weigh the duffel bag when traveling to make sure it doesn't exceed the 50lb weight limit. I bring along a small travel scale to do this with.

After 40+ years of diving all over the world, I really don't see what the hassle is of bringing the gear I'm used to using along wherever I dive. Of course, packing my dive gear is just like packing my military mobility bag, essentials only. I get my gear, as well as my wife's gear in one dedicated bag that weighs in at 46lbs, bag included. The limit on airlines is two checked bags per person, neither weighing more than 50 lbs. That leaves us 150 lbs of clothing etc. for up to ten days of cruising, which I find is more than enough. Although I now cruise in a minimum category of a blacony, I have dried my gear in a shower stall without major problems.

I just like having my own gear that I'm comfortable with and I am sure is maintained correctly.

Dom-

Our big dive bag is a bit too big for the airline limit, and we got it on the plane this spring with a large tip to the curbside check-in guy, and back by sending it with the ship's AA valet service. Now, however, they're checking a lot more closely, and we're flying Delta.

We're heading for LA next week for a Panama Canal trip with a swing through Curacao and Aruba, so I have arranged to ship most of my gear directly to the ship with Cruiseshippers.com. (BCs, regs, booties, wetsuits) We have a rental car home as we live in FL.

While we are in LA, I'm going to buy an inexpensive semi-rigid luggage piece that fits the airline checked restrictions, and that will become the new airline dive bag.

No matter what, take at least your mask. After that, it's your comfort and fit level. I'm fine with any BC, but my DH is a very large man (6'5", 280), and rental BCs are just not an option. We also use side-vent regulators (Oceanic Omega), and really prefer them.

So...by the time I haul one BC, I might as well take two. Then if I'm taking the BCs, I might as well take the regulators...etc.

We normally travel in an inside or outside cabin, and take our gear up to the pool deck to rinse it in the pool-side shower, and have a couple of beverages while it's drip-drying (gear & beer).

Have a great trip & don't worry about the folks that don't have their priorities straight!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

One more thing, if you have a dive knife, leave it at home. The cruise line will "hold" it for you while on the dive. Shears are a better choice anyway.

I'd also vote for take your own gear, especially the mask, regs, and computer.

I'm in agreeance with everyone here.... Take your own gear.. It is a pain sometimes but I think it's better....

I initially took my gear as I was a newer diver in the first year of my dive career and I did it for security/comfort....

I'm now where I have the confidence I COULD use rental gear but I've seen alot that is falling apart and not in good condition.. Which makes me question, how safe is it and how well is the BC and other things taken care of...... these things are our lifeline and I'm not willing to jeopardize that......Or to take a chance that things are ok and get to the dive boat to see that they have crap equipment....

Take your gear.....You'll be happier.....

W&K,

Great idea on the rinsing of the gear..... Love that idea.....

We'll be on the Tahitian Princess in Nov.:D We have 2 rolling backpacks we got from Scuba Discounters for about $60...http://www.scubadiscounters.com

Each of our BCD,fins,reg,diveskin & mask weighs 22Lbs including the Backpack and leaves plenty of room & 28lbs for the clothes we will need for the cruise. I don't think I can pack enough shorts,tshirts, swimsuits & shoes to use up that much. I'll have a hanging bag for suit & wife's dresses if we decide to go the Formal route. All our camera & video gear will be in carryon bag which is limited to 22lbs on ATN. Used the bag on last cruise and worked very well...lots of pockets & compartments for stuff.

Remember seeing a thread a while back that is an interesting way of offsetting not using balcony to dry scuba gear....they would stop at the pool & rinse everything in the shower and then hang around pool for a few hours socializing while stuff dries.....might have to try that this trip.

Hi Deb!

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

I have over 800 logged dives and I will add one piece of gear I found very important and almost no weight. That is an empty wieght belt. I had a rental buckle break apart at 85ft in current in Coz early in my diving days. Fortunately I caught the belt as it was falling off. I do a lot of dive so wear a wet suit ans would have been a cork. After that I started bringing my own. I now have one that is all pocket for solid weigts not the shot bag kind. If you have a weight intergrated BC like my wife's then no worries on the belt.

• 5 weeks later...
Add another one to the "bring your own gear" list. It is a pain at times, but when I am under water, I am happy I went to the trouble.

Amen! A couple of years ago, I had a hose blow, on a set of rental regs, in Grand Cayman. I bought my own gear, shortly thereafter and have not regretted the decision. It's easy to pack. My BCD, shorty, regs, camera, flashlight, & computer fit in a carry on. My fins go in my checked luggage. Definitely worth the piece of mind.....like the guide said, on a recent cavern dive in Cancun..."If you get separated..stay still, I'll find you. If your using rental gear, stay still, I'll find you tomorrow....."

• 2 weeks later...
Hi:

later,

dom

Was the equipment you bought cheap? Didn't think so. Bring it! Get a rolling dive bag so you don't have to carry it while getting on and off the ship. I understand renting a bike, but do you really want to rent life support equipment? You're a diver now, damnit--act like one.

I have a rolling dive bag, and all my own dive equipment, which I brought with me on Seabourn for a 14 day Caribbean cruise in April this year. It worked just fine, and I had a smaller mesh bag that I could take onto the dive boats with my gear (I wore as much of it as I could)!

I am going on another Caribbean cruise in December, and am sending my dive bag ahead of time....there are some extremely expensive methods of doing this...and one very reasonable company called luggagefree. Hmmm....I will check back with you to let you know if this "reasonable" firm gets my equipment where it's supposed to go. Anyway...I have rented equipment on other dive trips and never had a moment's problem. I just decided to get my own, and I enjoy having it with me. But it is a lot to lug around and clean.

Just my "two cents".... :rolleyes:

Jane

We are cruising on the Sun Princess for New Years & are of family of 4 w/ 3 divers. We will take our own gear. We feel so much safer & we invested so much money into it to be comfortable & safe. Then why leave it.

Can not imagine diving w/out my dive computer or lady hawk bcd or even my atomic fins.

If you do decide to rent the gear at least take your mask. I am sure your mask is better quality than the rental plus your already comfortable with it.

Best of luck & have fun!!

We always take our own equipment because we know it's in good condition and we are very familiuar with it. The down side is when you come back from your dive everything is wet and heavy. If you have a balcony it's okay as long as you don't hang it over the railing and try to be a little lowkey about it. The only other down side we have experienced is we take our regs as our carry on and we always get the special security treatment. They always search our bags and us. Guess they arn't divers!! Take your stuff that you are comfortable with and have a good time!

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a problem with checking all the dive equipment and not carrying them on
Nope. On the way to diving, I carry on my reg/computer setup, but on the way home I check the whole everything. The only thing I don't check is my pony bottle because I don't want to over my 50 lbs weight allowance.

I appreciate this thread. My dh is a diver, and we're going to the Carribean next month. He was wondering about taking his own equipment, but concerned about its safety, considering that checked luggage needs to be unlocked.

I dive an AL backplate and an 18 lb wing versus a conventional BC. I have a TravelPro Crew3 carry-on bag and can pack everything except my jetfins in that bag and carry it on the plane. I use my wetsuit to cushion everything that's fragile in the bag.

I would never travel without my gear and I'd never check my gear, it's too easily stolen. Between the BP/wing, regs, and canister light, there's $2K :eek:

I would suggest that you take your personal gear (mask, snorkel, fins) and your dive computer, if you have one.

But it is a BIG pain to lug your whole rig around before and after a dive. Let someone else be responsible for it!

After you have been diving for a little longer and you are more comfortable, it really won't matter as much if it's your own gear or not.

As always, do a safety check. Be sure that the rental gear is operating as it should be.

D.

the one thing I would suggest most is that you become a DAN member (Divers Alert Network). It is around $35 per year, insures your gear and trip if anything ahppens, and covers your medical expenses which may not be covered, especially on vacation. This includes the hypobaric chamber.

Archived