cooking classes

sswitenki

The cooking classes I have seen have been hosted by the Master Chef on board. I don't know for certain but from the literature I've seen when they have a guest chef they will teach at least some of the cooking classes. They give you a very nice signed certificate of completion also.

Yes, there is a guest chef that does a cooking class. I didn't actually go to the class, but they repeated it on TV many times during the day when we were in the Med during the summer. It seemed entertaining enough but I am not sure if I could consider it a class, seemed more like a demonstration to me. The guest chef didn't make anything complicated (lobster risotto) and something else that I can't recall that you couldn't pretty easily make at home. :rolleyes: I am not sure if there is a charge for this or not, but I don't think I would be too happy if I paid for it. The chef was nice enough and did a fair amount of mingeling with the passengers during the cruise.

All of our cooking classes, free introduction one and the follow-on paid classes, on the Volendam were conducted by the Pinnacle Grill chef. He was great and we got a couple of good meals to cook at home and some cooking tips. We'll do it again and don't care if there's a guest chef or not.

There some mention of the classes on the HAL site under Culinary Arts Center. Typically they hold at least one open (free) class the first full sea day. The remaining classes were twice a day on sea days and cost $29 per person. The class size is limited to 12. I don't know where you'd find what specific items were being taught during the classes prior to the cruise. Once on the ship go to the front desk and ask for information. They should have the schedule and the menus to be taught for each class. My understanding is that these have increased in popularity and you'll need to get to the front desk early on or you won't get into a class. Right now you can't sign up for classes until on the ship.

Archived