Our date with Destiny 9-17-24-06 (long)

dsnygrl

Well-- the ports were fabulous. and for that reason I am very greatful I had the chance to experiece the Destiny. Seems you had a BIG difference from our sailing. On Deck 8 there ws no airconditioning at all all week.

so it kinda got fixed before you cruised-- which is a good thing.

I also post to others that what we experince will be different for future cruises as it is not the same each week.

Dont sweat the small stuff is VERY important.

We had no trouble at all checking in using the funpass desk as we were 2nd or 3rd in the line where theother line ws huge with hundreds of people standing in that one.

I am also very happy that you did not have the party people out in your hallways all week.

thanks for the kind words

Thanks for the great review! We are 50 days from today until we leave for pre-cruise adventures in San Juan.

I have a question about the boarding. . . if you have filled out your fun pass (which they highly recommend) do you HAVE to go in that line of 500 people or could you have joined the smaller line of 50 people?

Cabin, I never thought to try, good question. The lines are very clearly labled, there was for concierge check in, there was for fun pass holders and I do not remember how the other line was worded but you get the idea. I did not even think to try the other line, I just stood in the fun pass line. I have heard from different people that this line varies greatly depending on what time you arrive at check in. I think we were actually there at a peak time. My advice would be to have one member of your party just go ahead and get in the funpass line (if you have one) and another go ask one of the employess there if you can use the shorter line instead. I know when we checked in they typed our info in a computer and then had to walk to the end of the counter and get our sign and sail cards so it was not like they had all that we needed in one area and could not get to it from another area, this would exclude the conceirge check in though. Might be worth a try.

Thanks for the great review! We are 50 days from today until we leave for pre-cruise adventures in San Juan.

I have a question about the boarding. . . if you have filled out your fun pass (which they highly recommend) do you HAVE to go in that line of 500 people or could you have joined the smaller line of 50 people?

I would go to whatever side has the less people. The earlier you get to the pier the better. Sounds like 3pm is ultra super busy each week.

Customs - My last five cruises which have taken place since December of 04 and were either out of Port Canaveral or Miami all required stopping at the immigration desk and presenting your passport or DL and BC. This is standard now in most ports and it can hold up the line if folks do not have their information out and ready. That is one reason that I will be glad when passports are required for all sailings. This should speed things up some.

That's good to know gator I thought that was something only done in San Juan. Last year on the Miracle we just walked through the security line and handed in our customs forms. I don't remember doing it in other ports around Florida before either but all those were prior to '04.

Thanks for the wonderful review. We are sailing in February 07 and flying the same day of cruise. I know everyone must be saying this is not a wise thing to do because of the time of year and anything can happen, but we have no choice because of my DH work schedule. I am just glad to be going away especially since the company I worked for downsized a large group of us 2 years ago and I have not worked since. At my age (57) here in NJ companies will call you for interviews, but not give you the job. Thank god for my annuity.(enought of the bad stuff in my life on to the good) I have already prepared my DH for the check-in experience and possible delays, thanks to the info on these boards, as he is not a patient man. But I refuse to let any small stuff get in the way of enjoying this trip! I am going to take it all in, the good, the bad, new ports, new cultures and just have a wonderful time. Thank you for all the information as it will come in handy!

The first formal night was Tuesday, the captains cocktail party was this night too. The past guest party was Wednsday and the second formal night was Thursday.

was the captains party held from 7:00- 8:00 in various lounges during your week?

Sunrise, I was also traveling with a man with little patience but he actually managed to keep his cool. I hope everything works out with your flights and you have a wonderful time...........Serene, yes the Captain's party was held in different lounges on our trip, There were 5 different lounges with different types of music playing at each. This was the first cruise I had been on where it was not just in the main show lounge. It was nice that you could pick the lounge by the type of music you wanted to hear or in our case the one that had the least people. It was the first time I actually got to sit at a bar for one and take advantage of the advice I had read on here to order what ever kind of drink I wanted instead of the ones they were premade on thier trays. The CD came to each lounge and talked for a few minutes but the introduction of the captain and the senior officers only took place in the disco and the criterion lounge. The party ran from 7-830 and the captain appeared at the disco at 740 and the criterion lounge at 750.

Well-- the ports were fabulous. and for that reason I am very greatful I had the chance to experiece the Destiny. Seems you had a BIG difference from our sailing. On Deck 8 there ws no airconditioning at all all week.

so it kinda got fixed before you cruised-- which is a good thing.

I also post to others that what we experince will be different for future cruises as it is not the same each week.

Dont sweat the small stuff is VERY important.

We had no trouble at all checking in using the funpass desk as we were 2nd or 3rd in the line where theother line ws huge with hundreds of people standing in that one.

I am also very happy that you did not have the party people out in your hallways all week.

thanks for the kind words

I guess what is small for some is large for others <grin>

I personally could overlook food and serving issues, also probably the "fellow passengers">> I have lived in S Florida for years and used to work in Miami where I was often in the English speaking minority

BUT>> to me NO air conditioning or air con problems would not be small stuff, I am so used to air conditioning. Sewage smells is also not 'small" to me...JMO

Share, I totally agree with you. Because of the bad food and service on the Miracle we had to really think long and hard about booking with Carnival again. We decided that with the other choices of food on the ship and the islands that we were visiting that would have food to eat that we might like, to give it one more try. This time it was totally different than the last cruise and all was good there....... Now if there HAD been a problem with the air or sewage on the ship that would have been a huge problem for us. They would have been given an oppertunity to fix it and make it right but if they did not, my SO would have been on the phone with Carnivals corporate offices before we reached the next port. He came fully prepared after reading these boards and armed with names, extensions, and email addresses for corporate and he would not have hesitated to use them.

BUT>> to me NO air conditioning or air con problems would not be small stuff, I am so used to air conditioning. Sewage smells is also not 'small" to me...JMO

if you are on a full ship with no available rooms-- what would you be able to do if your cabin had minimum airconditioning and no hot water?

Our kids improvised.. went tot he gym/spa area for showers. Couldnt do much about it while onboard except let people know of the problems.

Wasnt worth getting upset about since there was nothing they could do.

(its not like you can leave and go next door to the better place.- you make do with what you have-- and make it better yourself.

getting upset or angry isnt gonna solve the problem either and can only make the rest of the vacation a living hell

if you are on a full ship with no available rooms-- what would you be able to do if your cabin had minimum airconditioning and no hot water?

Our kids improvised.. went tot he gym/spa area for showers. Couldnt do much about it while onboard except let people know of the problems.

Wasnt worth getting upset about since there was nothing they could do.

(its not like you can leave and go next door to the better place.- you make do with what you have-- and make it better yourself.

getting upset or angry isnt gonna solve the problem either and can only make the rest of the vacation a living hell

I meant this more about ships where there are KNOWN problems

I have read about some Celebrity ships where there are KNOWN problems with the azipods...and some other issues, I would not want to sail on them as a result

In this case, there seems to be an ongoing problem with this ONE Carnival ship, the Destiny...and that is why I would not personally consider sailing on Destiny. Many reviews have stated these air con problems, different decks each week...I would not want to take the chance

Of course it COULD happen on any ship and one would have to make the best of it.

Reviews that state they don't like the food, music, CD or whatever I can take with a grain of salt, such things are subjective. BUT when a given ship has continuous "air" problems and "sewer smell" problems I think it is something to consider.

Some people react to negative reviews with begging posts like "oh please tell me something good about xyz"...or "doesn't anyone have something good to say"...etc...sort of whistling in the wind IMHO

I would hate to be stuck on a "hot cabin" ship so when I see various continuing reviews like this I foresee a BIG problem that is not solved, therefore not a cruise I would want to take. I don't think Destiny is in my Destiny LOL unless they overhaul that air conditioning system totally

JMO of course

Archived