ICONIC Rail Trip in New Zealand reprieved.

KiwiIan

The Overlander, the passenger train service running between Auckland and Wellington has been reprieved. TOLL Holdings, the Aussie company who bought NZ railways [ i think] for £1.00 a few years back, was going to close the line to save 2 million $ a year. Well, due i think to public outcry they are going to keep it running, though at a reduced service. Here is the link to their web site http://www.tranzscenic.co.nz/services/overlander.aspx

If you want a great way to see a lot of the interior of NZ, not usually possible from a cruise ship, then i would certaily suggest you consider adding this rail journey to one end of your NZ cruise. Its not the Orient Express class of service [though we do hope thats what it will develop into in the future] but just keep looking out of the Window for some spectacular views.

You can break the journey half way at the National Park Station and stay over night at the Historic Chateau Hotel, on the skops of Mt Ruapehu. This is their web site: http://www.chateau.co.nz/

If you would like any further info just post here.:)

Regards

Ian [Tauranga] NZ

That is good news. I might even motivate myself to give this a try next time I have some extra time in NZ. Having few reasons to go to Auckland (or indeed anywhere in NZ other than Wellington), and many reasons to go to other places, I wouldn't normally plan things like this but it might just be worth doing while it lasts.

Has anyone done the Tranzalpine, either on their own or with cruiseline.
Different train.

In any case, have you still not found any answers to this? The search function is pretty good for an unusual word like "Tranzalpine".

Try here:-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=318655

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=310823

Has anyone done the Tranzalpine, either on their own or with cruiseline. Just want to know if it is worth to go all the way to Greymouth.

Hi,

Yes I have done the Trans Alpine and it is definetly worth it.

1 Cruise lines.

On the day the ships are in port they block book several carriages and you travel half way, to Arthurs Pass,and return by coach.This is due to time constraints,but you visit a farm on the way back and the scenery is great.

2.On your own.

It is a full day return trip and bookings are essential as it is very popular and usually booked out well in advance.You stop at Athurs Pass and have time to walk around before descending via the Otira Tunnel to the West Coast and Greymouth.The scenery changes dramatically on the Coast into lush wetland .You can get off in Greymouth,and this is popular with folk who plan a round trip of the South Island.Otherwise, you have a little time there while they turn around and then head back to Christchurch.Many people do the full day return as you see all the scenery on the other side of the train on the way back.

LOL my Dec 2007 Auckland to AU cruise keeps getting longer and longer :eek:

I have planned a 2-3 pre-Cruise in Auckland but now I have to add around 3 more days to do this train. My cruise stops in Wellington, so I would just spend the night and take the next morning train back.

Sounds like a good trip.

LOL my Dec 2007 Auckland to AU cruise keeps getting longer and longer :eek:

I have planned a 2-3 pre-Cruise in Auckland but now I have to add around 3 more days to do this train. My cruise stops in Wellington, so I would just spend the night and take the next morning train back.

Sounds like a good trip.

Great way to end the trip, try and get some time out at the half way stage at the National Park, best hotel would be the Chateau but there are plenty of others. This way you can see the central north island as well, suggest trying a scenic flight over the Volcanoes [one is expected to be blowing its top soon according to last nights news]. There is an airstrip close to the hotel. If you need any help re these arrangements then please post.

Theres stilll some good snow on the mountains so i will be of there next week for some last minute skiing, especially if the eruption wipes out the ski fields like it did back in 1995.

Regards

Ian [Tauranga]

Archived