Has anyone become jaded about the midnight buffet?

flagger

I have not been to a midnight buffet in a long time, to late to eat. It is great for new people and for taking pictures of.

I was on Holland America once and they had a chocolate buffet in the afternoon. I could not believe the mob of people and the plates that were so filled that it actually was repulsive to look at that I had to leave.

A much better idea would be for the money RCL spends on these things I would rather them but it back into the daily meals that people tend to complain about on RCL. What a novel idea trade quanity for quality.

In 6 cruises, I've only been to 2 midnight buffets (both were chocolate - YUM :D ). Ate a few chocolate covered strawberrries at one, was way too full at the other - but took pics of the beautiful ice sculptures (DD loved the dragon that took up 2 tables, it was magnificient!). I never encountered any rude people at either of these buffets, the last being this past Feb/March.

And I must say, I was the one who took too many strawberries (but I took them back to the room, and they made a scrumptious breakfast with our coffee - lol ;) ).

Just returned from our first RCL cruise, and must admit our disappointment in the midnight buffet. We did stay up long enough to get some pictures at the beginning of the first hour (more pushing and shoving than a Macy's Thanksgiving sale!) We did not bother to wait around for another hour to stand in another long line or be trampled just to taste the food.

I did make a suggestion on the comment card that it would be nice to have an "almost midnight" buffet at 10 or 11 in the evening. I didn't mention this (but probably should have)--on a Holland America cruise to Alaska last year they had a spectacular chocolate buffet---at 2:45 in the afternoon on a sea day. It was great!

I would never say I am "jaded" by the Midnight Buffet experience... and it is that, an experience. I think people should go through and take pics if desired, and go back later to eat if they want to. It's a personal choice.

On our cruise to Alaska a few years back, we were offered both a Chocolate midnight buffet and a Gala midnight buffet, on different nights. The chocolate one was extraordinary, but the waste was appalling.... I still remember plates and plates of food sitting there on tables, wasted, because guests took far too much. :(

Our last 2 cruises, we were also too full to eat and not to mention, the line for the Gala buffet wrapped around several decks (yes, really).

~Karen

I would never say I am "jaded" by the Midnight Buffet experience... and it is that, an experience. I think people should go through and take pics if desired, and go back later to eat if they want to. It's a personal choice.

On our cruise to Alaska a few years back, we were offered both a Chocolate midnight buffet and a Gala midnight buffet, on different nights. The chocolate one was extraordinary, but the waste was appalling.... I still remember plates and plates of food sitting there on tables, wasted, because guests took far too much. :(

Our last 2 cruises, we were also too full to eat and not to mention, the line for the Gala buffet wrapped around several decks (yes, really).

~Karen

The Chocolate Buffet on Brilliance seemed to be less over the top than we remembered from our previous cruise where there was a Gala Buffet. I didn't see people wasting, and I noted that there was just enough food, and when it ran out, that was it. Nor was there pushing and shoving....but I recall several other people on the threads indicating that the crowd on Brilliance was one of the best behaved. People just waited patiently, everyone got something.....and of course the food was fantastic.:D

Fran in Toronto

I believe the midnight buffet has turned into more of a tradition than anything. Usually the food is not that great( in my opinion) and the stampede of people can be intimidating. Yet I still go everytime, still take pictures and still end up eating something.....

We were on Radiance in June and I went and took pics. Everyone is correct in saying that people are rude, rude, rude. Pushing and shoving just to get a pic. We didn't go back and eat, but I imagine the line was just as bad or worse. Nope, no midnight buffet for me.

Archived