Live From The Crown Princess Sept 30 Sailing

TorontoTL

We had a bad experience having to pass by two islands in a row--about 6 weeks ago in the South Pacific--One sea day became four sea days--couldn't safely go in anywhere and finally went to Bora Bora a day earlier than planned--which of course, messed up some excursions--even with that it was a great cruise--lots of folks grumbling--We all wanted to get off the ship--ANYWHERE--still a great cruise.

Seal - which ports did you miss? Christmas Island?

Toronto - I hope you had a lovely day at sea yesterday. I guess that means you will have to plan ANOTHER cruise to go to Bermuda :)

We're finally feeling some motion on the seas today. Up to now there was little evidence that we were at sea...LOL.

Thanks for the condolences about missing Bermuda. I just wish people around the ship would stop complaining. I don't like hearing all that negativity. I knew you guys would understand! I'm going to enjoy my final two days on this wonderful ship. I have two future cruise deposits down so I will need to start looking for my winter vacation. As Brian knows my spring vacation is going to be the Hawaii cruise on the Island in April. Maybe I should plan a two week vacation in Bermuda for this winter, has anyone been to Bermuda in the winter?

sorry 4 your loss... did the cruise ship tell you anything as to any re-embursment for the lack of missing the port??? im going on the cruise the day you get off...just wanted to know because it look like the rough weather will be there when were on board too...

thnx in advance..

sorry 4 your loss... did the cruise ship tell you anything as to any re-embursment for the lack of missing the port??? im going on the cruise the day you get off...just wanted to know because it look like the rough weather will be there when were on board too...

thnx in advance..

Shirin, if you haven't been to the roll call, definitely check it out. Its a lively bunch of people!

Sure hope you're wrong about the rough weather while we're on. We even have a weatherguy checking this out for us!

Toronto:

Thank you SO much for doing this post. SInce I also will be hopping on board while you're disembarking, I can't tell you what it means to me. Of course that means I don't get to see how you felt about Bermuda, but from reading the board it looks like you know how to enjoy yourself no matter what you're faced with. You have to have the right attitude for all of life and that includes your vacation.

Have a safe trip home.

Benny, what a great attitude you have! That's why I like reading your "live from" threads. Out of 12 cruises, the only one time we missed a port was when we were on RCCL. We were lucky on that cruise that the port we missed was Jamaica and since we had been here, were not so upset as others that we missed that port. Sorry that you missed the one port that you really were looking forward to going to.......that scooter ride will have to wait. BTW: for those RCCL fans, RCCL does not refund for a missed port....I have heard that Princess and Carnival do.

Hi everyone out there in Cruise Critic Land. Posting from the Crown enroute to NYC. The seas are rough but I'm surprised how well this ship is handling it so far. No nausea here. The Captain has found us some sun and people are out in force on the sun decks. The internet was down for a good part of the day until a little while ago.

Princess did a good job of explaining the cause of the missed port. We are getting a full refund for the port taxes. I don't believe there is any kind of compensation for missing the port otherwise. It really is beyond anyone's control in situations like this. Getting mad or upset about it for long only hurts your vacation, it doesn't fix the problem. It's still better to be on a beautiful cruise ship than working isn't it? It's worse for the crew when you think about it. For many of them they would have had a few extra hours off work with it being a port day. But because it is a day at sea, many had to work extra hours. Which means they then had three sea days in a row, then the change over day in NYC and then two more sea days at the start of the next cruise. That is alot of long days in a row for them. I hate how some passengers take it out on them as if it is their fault and that they should have done something about it...:eek:

We're finally feeling some motion on the seas today. Up to now there was little evidence that we were at sea...LOL.

Thanks for the condolences about missing Bermuda. I just wish people around the ship would stop complaining. I don't like hearing all that negativity. I knew you guys would understand! I'm going to enjoy my final two days on this wonderful ship. I have two future cruise deposits down so I will need to start looking for my winter vacation. As Brian knows my spring vacation is going to be the Hawaii cruise on the Island in April. Maybe I should plan a two week vacation in Bermuda for this winter, has anyone been to Bermuda in the winter?

You've got a great attitude about missing Bermuda, so sorry that you had to. People just need to realize that when you cruise during hurricane season you run a higher risk of changed and/or canceled ports, I don't know why they can't get that.

We've been to Bermuda about 5 times including a short visit in February a couple of years ago. The island is still beautiful but it is on the chilly side so going to the beach and getting sun is out. We still rented a scooter and toured the island again and we really did enjoy ourselves. I live in Florida so I didn't really care about missing the beach as I knew before we went that we wouldn't be doing that. I wouldnt' hesitate going there again and am actually already checking into there or London for my birthday in February.

I've mentioned food alot in this thread haven't I? I have been quite pleased with all of my meals onboard. Some might think that maybe I'm not picky or have no taste and that's why I've been so happy. Well I'm actually quite picky and do eat at some top end restaurants back home in Toronto, yes we do have excellent eating in Toronto. But I think that the redone menus on this ship which I expect to go fleet wide are really good. The new choices and the updated old standards have all been really good. There have been a couple of misses such as the Rock Fish on formal night, but the lobster always saves the day. Now having said that, my parents loved the rock fish, so to each his own. What one likes others may not. The menus have been varied enough that I can't imagine you not being able to find something to your taste on this ship. Remember that the always available is always available. On this cruise that would be the caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, fetuccine alfredo, steak, chicken, and love boat dream.

Thanks for taking the time to post your messages about your trip. My wife and I will be sailing on the Crown (first time on a Princess ship) on Monday so we've been very appreciatively following your comments about the ship, the food, the ports, etc. We're sorry you missed Bermuda. It's one of our favorites and we take Celebrity's Zenith there once a year. Those channels are difficult to get through if the water and winds aren't just right, even for smaller ships like the Zenith and Navigator. The nice thing is that Bermuda will be there indefinitely. Thanks again and have a safe trip home.

My parents are on this cruise, so I know they're going to be disappointed at missing bermuda. It's one of the reasons they specifically took this trip. However, I know they also understand that weather happens, I know they've missed grand cayman a couple times because of weather too, and warned me before we took our first cruise that it might be a possibility (although we did make it). Shame though, I'd been watching the weather, and it'd been looking good until today.

I've gotten knocked off of here--twice--to the point--Christmas Island was not on our itenerarly--we missed Roaratunga and Raitaia--should have been one sea day--wound up with four sea days in a row--went to bora Bora one day early--Stayed there for the night--Many of the excursions were arranged for us coming in early--didn't work as well for those who had already paid for private tours.

Roaratunga is about 500 miles from Papette where we started--as you can imagine a lot of unhappy folks--but,once we got into better weather and solid ground--the mood changed--lots of fun

Nancy:D

Final day at sea. Last night's dinner was excellent once again served by Jorge and Nicolai in the Da Vinci dining room. I am sure they think we don't eat enought because they brought us 8 main courses for the four of us. The Alaskan King Crab was very good last night, but the Rack of Lamb was even better. The Tilapia was also very tastey. After eating two servings of crab and part of the lamb and the tilapia I didn't have much room for anything else. I did manage to eat half of my delicious black forest cake though...one has to try the dessert right? I will certainly have to diet after today to go on the cruise to Hawaii in April, otherwise I won't fit into my clothes.

The seas are rougher on this last leg of the cruise compared with the rest of it. We had not really felt any movement until the past few days. Now one and feel the gentle rolling and swells up and down. You can really hear the stabilizers working hard when you're in the dining rooms. But still overall I am surprised that it isn't worse given the design of the hull of this ship.

Today will be one of those sad sea days knowing we'll have to pack and say goodbye to everyone. I hope the crew realize that they've been a big part of making this a memorable and enjoyable cruise for us. I think that the crew really make a huge difference in the enjoyment of a cruise, I can't thank them enough. For those who are going to board the Crown or thinking about it, she is a great ship. I think the Crown is the best Princess big ship so far. I also believe that CC'ers who traditionally prefer smaller ships would be pleasantly surprised at how well the Crown will give them alot of the small ship atmosphere. I'm sure you can tell that I wouldn't hesitate to book again on this ship.

Seal - thanks. I wasn't sure which route you were doing.

Tortonto - I am really curious about the changes to the menus. Is there any way to find out when/if these are going fleet wide and when? I sail in December on the Star.

It sounds like you are having a fantastic cruise! Have a safe flight home.

My understanding is that the Crown is acting as a test for the rest of the fleet for changes to things like the menu and bedding. I don't know for certain when but I am pretty sure that the changes will become the standard for the fleet. I think you will be pleased with the new menus. For the most part they haven't changed completely, but new items have replaced some of the old ones that weren't the best. The preparation of some of the dishes have been updated as well from what I can tell.

Good Morning Coral and Toronto

Have a great day--I can tell you that the menus on the Sea Princess were very familiar--look forward to some new ones

Looking forward to the Crown next year

It's been nice having a little "get together" with the two of you

Safe Travels

Nancy:D

Toronto--Spent a couple of days in your great city--Sure seems like the right place for "Young Adults"--:)

Wow, finally some really rough seas. The stabilizers are working overtime now. The vibration and noise from the stabilizers are causing some concern for the newbie cruisers here. Lots of people seem a bit scared. I think the waves combined with the swells are causing quite a bit of movement. There have been some pax who were sick as there are areas on the Promenade hallway in particular near the photogallery where some have been ill. I am told that we are heading into smoother waters for the evening and I'm sure many pax will be glad once we get there. In the meantime we rock and roll here onroute to NYC under sunny skies.

I don't know about turkey tomorrow when I get back to Toronto. My parents who are on this cruise with us will be staying with my aunt in New Jersey for a few days before coming home to Toronto. Thus it might have to be take out or restaurant food for Thanksgiving. It won't be the end of the world for me though considering how we've eaten so well for the past 9 days. I need to eat light I think and get back to reality of cooking and cleaning again.....post cruise depression is starting to set in already...a bit too soon.

I don't know about turkey tomorrow when I get back to Toronto. My parents who are on this cruise with us will be staying with my aunt in New Jersey for a few days before coming home to Toronto. Thus it might have to be take out or restaurant food for Thanksgiving. It won't be the end of the world for me though considering how we've eaten so well for the past 9 days. I need to eat light I think and get back to reality of cooking and cleaning again.....post cruise depression is starting to set in already...a bit too soon.

Don't you just hate it when you come home from a wonderful cruise, and you sit on your couch and wait for someone to come along and ask you if you would like a drink, someone to have a wonderful meal waiting for you, someone to turn down your bed at night..etc.....and not one shows up.:eek: Anyway thank you for the great live threads and hope you have smoother sailing to NYC.

Done with the final dinner at the DaVinci Dining Room and just done with packing. The last meal was much better than the landfall meal I last had on the Sapphire in May. Once again the meals are improved. I thought I just check in and say bye to all and hope you enjoyed my postings from the Crown. For those on upcoming cruises enjoy yourselves on this lovely ship. I think we left her in tip top condition for you. Ciao !

Done with the final dinner at the DaVinci Dining Room and just done with packing. The last meal was much better than the landfall meal I last had on the Sapphire in May. Once again the meals are improved. I thought I just check in and say bye to all and hope you enjoyed my postings from the Crown. For those on upcoming cruises enjoy yourselves on this lovely ship. I think we left her in tip top condition for you. Ciao !

Safe travels home, Benny – and thanks for checking in. You’ll have to be the official correspondent from Island Princess in April. ;)

Archived