did you miss the boat?

roscoe39

One of my biggest panic thoughts about cruising..

Im sure its happened, but has it happend to you? Did you catch it up at the next port...? Within the states is one thing,,,but what about when its next port of call is another country? howd did you get there...what was the sickening heart attack moment like when you got to the pier to see the stern of the ship disappearring in a wake of your despair?

Now that the panic is over and you are home safe and sound....FESS UP!

Booked a cruise and air from the cruiseline, flying into port the day of the cruise. (As a more experienced cruiser, I would never fly in the same day now.) We had 4 hours from the time we were due in till the cruise was scheduled to leave port. Figured that would be enough. Well thunderstorms delayed our departure by over 4 hours!!! As we flew in to port we could see the ship leaving dock. We were put up at a very nice hotel and then flown the next day to our next port. Between the airline and our insurance, everything was taken care of. I was just upset because we missed most of our time at our 1st port in Hawaii. Not the best way to start the vacation but you have to learn to make lemonade when given lemons!

ouch! lucky that you were able to be able to put the responsibility onto the airline to put you up and get you onto the next port.... What a sinking feeling iy must have been to fly over your upcoming home with hundreds of partying holiday makers at Sailaway, oblivious to your distress several thousand feet above their heads!

On our Alaska cruise in August, in Ketchikan, we could all see some lady just slowly walking down the dock.............apparently she knew she was missing the ship and had called someone for help because someone tossed a zip-lock bag to her with some things in it. Hopefully it was her passport, ship info and maybe some money?????????

What an awful feeling, but she didn't even look distressed!

It's even worse if you miss the ship in a foreign port in the middle of the cruise. Most people don't realize that their cabin key is their official "Visa" to visit the country the ship is visiting. If the ship leaves without them for any reason, their Visa expires as soon as the ship is gone. They are suddenly illegal aliens in a foreign country. If they are lucky enough to carry their passports ashore, they still must get a visa, but that is usually pretty easy. If they have only birth certificates, they could be in big trouble and spend plenty time and money to get it sorted out.

Get a passport.................

On our recent Alaska trip, we were to fly out of Phila. at 11:30 am to St. Paul then on to Anchorage to arrive around 5:00 pm. (2 planes) Our first plane boarded but never left the ground (mech. prob.) We knew at this point we were not going to get to Alaska in time for our ship! Couldn't cancel so we had to forge forward. New plane was also delayed, didn't leave phila. til 6:00 pm! Went to Detroit, stayed overnight, then went to St. Paul (another delayed flight) then off to Alaska (another delayed flight) arrived about 27 hours later! Had to wait 1 day and then another 2 flights to "catch" the ship in Skagway. We missed the glaciers and the whales....our main reason for going on this cruise! We were extremely bummed out!

Was on a trip to Bermuda last Oct Getting ready to go ashore when the Capt announced he was leaving immediatly as a tropical depression was heading this way.He went 16 mile off shore & waited for those they located ashore . They were brought out by pilot boat.They pushed them aboard through a 3ft square hole.Some missed it .Went back to docks asked the Customs .Wheres the ship? What colour is It?.Big White one !!True

Back in 1995 the Costa Classica left port without some passengers. As we were slowly pulling away from the dock, we watched as a car came speeding down toward the pier. The folks jumped out and ran to the edge and started waving to the ship to come back. Everyone on board started waving and yelling at them. The ship basically stopped and waited for them to get into a pilot boat, which brought them over to the ship. They climbed up a rope ladder and got back onto the ship. You might say those people got a lot of ribbing the rest of the week! Good entertainment. Did not hear what it cost them to get to the ship. Lori:D

Sea Story follows:

Dateline...hmmm 1987....

I was Operations Officer on a Coast Guard Cutter working the Caribbean and we were making an R&R stop in Cozumel. Typically, we (@ 210 foot length) were slid into a place on the pier between the revenue producting cruise ships.

About 6pm I was on on board and after speaking to the gangway watch, I went to the bridge to watch one of the adjacent cruse ships leave.

The cruise ship cleared the pier and headed away when I looked down from the bridge wing to see a lady with a shopping bags in either hand running down the pier. She got adjacent to 'my' ship, stopped, dropped the bags & stared at the empty pier the cruise ship had just left.

I called down, "Is there a problem?"

"My kids and husband are on that boat." It was now just a few hundred yards away from the pier.

"Wait there."

I picked up the bridge to bridge radio, "I have one of your passengers."

They couldn't come back to pick her up, but.....

I rounded up a boat crew, gave her a life jacket and launched our fast rescue boat. The cruise ship lowered the same ladder they use for the pilot and the wayward shopper and mother was rejoined with her family.

Somewhere there's a lady with a very special cruise story....my guys felt it was a great change to a boring duty day!

Our first cruise in the 80's--eastern carib--shopping stops--a lady missed the ship 3 times.St thomas san juan and some other island..She was shopping.The first time she hired boat at $500 and they got her on board in an easy manner.Next stop--again she misses it-hires $500 transport--they got her on not so easily(for her).Third stop she misses it again $500 --they made her climb the jacobs ladder.

Captain at his farewell message stated he was going to keelhaul this woman

This is true story.If i did this one time--i would be tethered to my husband

She did not seem to learn

Archived