Cruise vs resort question

VPGPH

I think that couples only resorts are a wonderful option for young couples on their honeymoon. When our daughter got married she and her husband stayed in a penthouse suite overlooking the Ocean (perfect for a honeymoon) and most of the couples they met at that AI were also on their honeymoon.

I think that couples only resorts are a wonderful option for young couples on their honeymoon. When our daughter got married she and her husband stayed in a penthouse suite overlooking the Ocean (perfect for a honeymoon) and most of the couples they met at that AI were also on their honeymoon.

As a not so young couple (50, 59) we still prefer couples only or couples oriented AIs. I personally do not care to be around kids and, unlike cruises, this is a great way to guarantee that there are none around.:)

Before we started cruising, we went to all inclusive resorts. My favorite by far are the Club Meds. I would go back to one of them in heart beat if I could afford to take a cruise and a Club Med vacation, in the same year.

There are many different Club Meds. We have tried most of them out. I mean the ones in North America. The food is outstanding in all of them. The Club Med experience is quite different from cruising and may not appeal to everyone.

My favorite Club Med is Turquoise. It is located in the Turks and Caicos Islands. it is very aptly name Turquoise because that is definitely the color of the water.

Why does it have to be an all-inclusive resort? You can select a good hotel and experience the culture by visiting different sites and dining in the local restaurants. IMHO, that's the best way to do it. I love to cruise, but I also (even more so) love to stay in a particular place (no matter where) and soak up the culture. This is one of the great benefits of traveling.....learning about other cultures and people.

We did two A/I in Iberostars on Thanksgiving weeks and every time our son (then 8 and 10) had trouble finding many kids, although they did have great programs for them. Definitely there were much less kids there even on Thanksgiving week than on cruises. A/I is very relaxing (too relaxing) vacations, but also too boring for us.

My parents went to Punta Cana twice (A/I) to Iberostar Punta Cana and Natura beach... They are very active couple and didn't like to wedge on the beach whole time... so they were walking along the beach or going on snorkeling tours.

Why does it have to be an all-inclusive resort? You can select a good hotel and experience the culture by visiting different sites and dining in the local restaurants. IMHO, that's the best way to do it. I love to cruise, but I also (even more so) love to stay in a particular place (no matter where) and soak up the culture. This is one of the great benefits of traveling.....learning about other cultures and people.

And AI and soaking up the culture are not mutually exclusive, IME. We go off property to hot local spots whenever the urge strikes.

WHat is so nice about an AI is that it is easy and you can find one that meets your needs. Because many specialize (spa inclusive, adult, couples) you can get exactly what you are looking for without have a ton of extra charges like you do on a ship or at an EP resort.

I love the spa resorts where a treatment is included daily, I enjoy tennis lessons, scuba, yoga retreats, epicurean weeks. All of these are extra on cruises and traditional hotels.

I generally prefer land vacations to sea these days because I can assure the type of vacation I prefer.

And AI and soaking up the culture are not mutually exclusive, IME. We go off property to hot local spots whenever the urge strikes.

WHat is so nice about an AI is that it is easy and you can find one that meets your needs. Because many specialize (spa inclusive, adult, couples) you can get exactly what you are looking for without have a ton of extra charges like you do on a ship or at an EP resort.

I love the spa resorts where a treatment is included daily, I enjoy tennis lessons, scuba, yoga retreats, epicurean weeks. All of these are extra on cruises and traditional hotels.

I generally prefer land vacations to sea these days because I can assure the type of vacation I prefer.

Hi Caviargal :)

I've only been to one Spa Resort and that was Canyon Ranch in Lenox Mass. The treatments at that place are as good as it gets, and the overall experience was wonderful. When I first heard they had gourmet health food, I thought that was a contradiction in terms, but the food was delicious. This type of vacation, however, would probably not appeal to most men, so I went with one of my friends and had a great time.

Hi Caviargal :)

I've only been to one Spa Resort and that was Canyon Ranch in Lenox Mass. The treatments at that place are as good as it gets, and the overall experience was wonderful. When I first heard they had gourmet health food, I thought that was a contradiction in terms, but the food was delicious. This type of vacation, however, would probably not appeal to most men, so I went with one of my friends and had a great time.

Sky Sweet, sounds like a perfect girl's trip to me! The Phoenician is similar I believe. And Miraval is on my list as well.

I have enjoyed Le Sport in St. Lucia which is an AI that has a great spa and fitness facility. One treatment per day is included and I would rate them as good but not the caliber I am certain you enjoyed. Still, they were above any I have experienced at sea. La Source in Grenada does this as well but was badly hit by a hurricane 2 years ago and will not reopen til 2007. Food was very good and the service nice as well.

What is nice IMO about the high end Caribbean AIs is that I can do my thing at the spa and gym and my SO can be diving, waterskiiing, etc. It is so nice to have it all right there and included as well.

I have done far more AI's in the Caribbean and Mexico than I have cruises (4 only). Both types of vacations are great, but different. I strongly recommend a 5*+ resort, pay the extra and enjoy!! If you are looking at Mexico a reasonably priced AI are the 2 Secrets properties (AM Resorts) on the Mayan Riviera. If in the DR look at Secrets and Paradisus properties. If in Jamaica look at Superclubs highend properties and, with a word of caution, some Sandals properties. All the above, with the exception of Paradisus, are pretty much adults only-I am w/ caviargirl on this one. BTW, the new Paradisus in Punta Cana DR is spectacular. What ever you do or choose...have a great time. :)

Thanks again for all the info. I really appreciate it. I think that we will give the resort a try. I already booked another cruise for March 4th (Millenium), but we still have one more week for our vacation and I believe we will try the resort. I appreciate the responses.

Hi,

We've done a bit of both....cruising (most recently on the Millie in the Med in Aug '06) and resort stays. I don't care for all-inclusives...the food, clientle and accomodations at the few we visited in Jamaica were not what I prefer at this point in my life!

I loved cruising in the Medit....because being on a cruise eliminated many of the hassles of foreign travel (figuring out train schedules, finding hotels and restaurants etc etc)...the ports made the trip. Love the ship and crew though too!

For a for a Caribbean or warm-weather relaxing trip where the ports are less important, I guess I prefer a resort. We love the beach -- quality of the beach, the water, the sand is really important and we can literally spend an entire day (s) playing on a good beach --- reading, napping, swimming, snorkling, playing frisbee, paddle ball etc etc. Also enjoy exploring an island in depth.

The last time we cruised in the Caribbean, I was left wanting more relaxed time on a beautiful beach. We found nice beaches, but they were always over crowded with our fellow cruisers. And on-board, I don't find it as relaxing to be at the pool deck with 1000 others and having to rise early to get a chair in the sun.

For a sight-seeing trip with REALLY interesting cities to explore...a cruise is a great way to see lots of places with minimum hassle. For pure relaxation in tropical weather, my vote is for a high-end beach resort over a cruise. For the price I paid on the Millie, I could've easily stayed for a week at the Four Seasons on Nevis or Great Exuma. We also love St. John's and Harbour Island (Bahamas).

It's all good : ) enjoy your trip...whereever you go!

Lynne

Hi,

We've done a bit of both....cruising (most recently on the Millie in the Med in Aug '06) and resort stays. I don't care for all-inclusives...the food, clientle and accomodations at the few we visited in Jamaica were not what I prefer at this point in my life!

I loved cruising in the Medit....because being on a cruise eliminated many of the hassles of foreign travel (figuring out train schedules, finding hotels and restaurants etc etc)...the ports made the trip. Love the ship and crew though too!

For a for a Caribbean or warm-weather relaxing trip where the ports are less important, I guess I prefer a resort. We love the beach -- quality of the beach, the water, the sand is really important and we can literally spend an entire day (s) playing on a good beach --- reading, napping, swimming, snorkling, playing frisbee, paddle ball etc etc. Also enjoy exploring an island in depth.

The last time we cruised in the Caribbean, I was left wanting more relaxed time on a beautiful beach. We found nice beaches, but they were always over crowded with our fellow cruisers. And on-board, I don't find it as relaxing to be at the pool deck with 1000 others and having to rise early to get a chair in the sun.

For a sight-seeing trip with REALLY interesting cities to explore...a cruise is a great way to see lots of places with minimum hassle. For pure relaxation in tropical weather, my vote is for a high-end beach resort over a cruise. For the price I paid on the Millie, I could've easily stayed for a week at the Four Seasons on Nevis or Great Exuma. We also love St. John's and Harbour Island (Bahamas).

It's all good : ) enjoy your trip...whereever you go!

Lynne

Hi 2006Junket :)

Have you ever stayed at a resort in Bermuda? We love cruises but would prefer to stay at a resort in Bermuda because the Zenith does not appeal to us. Even though Zenith has good food, I don't feel that is enough to compensate for all of its deficiencies.

Hi 2006Junket :)

Have you ever stayed at a resort in Bermuda? We love cruises but would prefer to stay at a resort in Bermuda because the Zenith does not appeal to us. Even though Zenith has good food, I don't feel that is enough to compensate for all of its deficiencies.

Skysweet,

Yes, we have stayed on Bermuda (love it! it's such a short flight from Boston!). We have stayed at both Elbow Beach and Coco Reef, and would recommend both, but for different reasons. (reviews on Tripadvisor.com spell out the differences pretty well.) The Southampton Princess is lovely, but not right on a beach...which as you know is a priority for us :)

I too, wish that Celebrity would put a newer ship on the Bermuda run! Though the Zenith seems to have a wonderful crew and food, after the Millie, it would be a come down, I would guess.

Happy planning!

Lynne

The Reefs in Bermuda is on the beach. It is lovely- built on a cliff and you walk down to the beach. The infinity pool is high on the hill looking over the water. The food is wonderful- 5 star. They include two meals a day in the price of the room. The rooms are suites with a sunken livingroom and have huge marble bathrooms. All the balconies look over the turquoise sea and pink sand. I stayed at Cambridge Beaches as a youth (five times) and the Reefs blows it away- I was impressed.

There is a resort adjacent to the Reefs that has restaurants also. We never used them because the food was so good at the Reefs.

There are moped rentals right across the street.

I mopeded by the Fairmont Princess and it is not on the beach. There is a shuttle to the beach though. Golfers would prefer the Princess.

The Reefs in Bermuda is on the beach. It is lovely- built on a cliff and you walk down to the beach. The infinity pool is high on the hill looking over the water. The food is wonderful- 5 star. They include two meals a day in the price of the room. The rooms are suites with a sunken livingroom and have huge marble bathrooms. All the balconies look over the turquoise sea and pink sand. I stayed at Cambridge Beaches as a youth (five times) and the Reefs blows it away- I was impressed.

There is a resort adjacent to the Reefs that has restaurants also. We never used them because the food was so good at the Reefs.

There are moped rentals right across the street.

I mopeded by the Fairmont Princess and it is not on the beach. There is a shuttle to the beach though. Golfers would prefer the Princess.

Hi Rebecalouise :)

The Reefs Resort sounds so fantastic that i googled for its website and bookmarked it. Thanks so much for telling me about it :)

As for Zenith- I took the Zenith to Bermuda and had a nice cruise. It is a smaller ship- so not like Millenium class. But smaller ships sometimes offer more intimate service and such. I wouldn't not go on Zenith. Just have to remember it is smaller.

For example, I took the Disney Wonder. It was a lovely ship but much smaller than the ones I have recently sailed. So there was as much drama.

We stayed at the Elbow Beach many years ago. We really enjoyed Bermuda, but we are not in a hurry to return (watch, now we will!!!) It is very expensive and for us it is not worth the $$$. We went in May, which is a good month to go, but the weather is usually good at home at that time of the year.

Now...we were on the Zenith a few winters ago (2 weeks in the Caribbean). When I booked it, it was such a good deal, I couldn't pass it up. My husband REACTED! How could I book such an old tub? Well, we had a marvellous time. We met the nicest people on that cruise.

If I were to return to Bermuda, I would definitely choose the Zenith over the Elbow Beach.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

We stayed at the Elbow Beach many years ago. We really enjoyed Bermuda, but we are not in a hurry to return (watch, now we will!!!) It is very expensive and for us it is not worth the $$$.

I do not care for Bermuda. I have been there twice on business and would not spend my own money to go, neither by ship nor for a land vacation. I much prefer the Caribbean all the way around.

I know many love it but I have never understood the attraction.

Archived